• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sad day. I uninstalled Home++

I'm only using about 5 widgets and was only using 3 homescreens on Home++, so it was pretty easy for me to migrate back to stock. I really liked Home++ for the links at the bottom (phone/browser buttons on every screen, for example) and the ability to hide the notification bar. Force closes I was seeing were from the Home++ app only. I didn't have Handcent or any other app really FC on me except in a few rare cases. I really stopped using it more because of the awkward issues I was having with the Phone app as well as general sluggishness. Since I removed it these problems are completely gone.

What type of "awkward issues" were you having with the phone app? I too have had some strange things happen; however, that was the case before I loaded Home ++. I thought it was a Moto issue, maybe I was wrong.

It hit me after I posted, I wonder if there also might be a memory issue. I still have about 100 mb left.

Upvote 0
I removed Home++ yesterday since there was no update and my phone is flying again. I really liked the extra screens and the bells and whistles that come along with Home++ but my phone is functioning SO much better without it.

One thing and hopefully someone can help me out, since I removed Home++ my phone doesn't go into landscape mode when I put it on it's side...I have the right option checked. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
i had home++ on mine too and ended up with a bunch of problems. And for those who wonder if it's some other program not playing nice or just too many apps - nope. I had weather channel app and home++. I hadn't installed anything else yet because it seems like every app I read about in the market has issues or force close etc etc. Seriously. Two of out of every three has the first few messages saying uninstalled because of force close or some other problem.

Wishlist for the next version of any app? Make it work... solidly. I don't care about animated this or 100+ that, just make the thing work. I'll pay money for apps that work.

Upvote 0
Hmm...I'm using both, but I'm not having these same issues. Occasionally, I'll get a FC popup, but I just hit "wait" and it just goes on about it's business.

Yanno, I did some playing around, and you'se are all right. It is slow and laggy. I'm running Home++, Handcent, and Weather Widget Donate, and maybe maybe 4 or 5 other widgets. I've only used 94mb of an available 261mb.

I've gotten used to and really like how Home++ is laid out. I like the powerstrip, it's eliminated the need for some apps on the home screen (like the dialer, contacts, and web brower), and I like how it has the notification icon on that power strip if you have your's turned off. Decisions, decisions.

Upvote 0
What defines laggy to you guys?

I use Beautiful Home, Home++, Handcent together along with a few other widgets, CalWidget, Pandora, Power Strip, Music, Battery Widget, and Gallery.

I don't notice any real lag per say, when I first unlock my phone there's a slight pause going between screens but after the initial screen swipe, everything is fast and normal again.

Upvote 0
Home++ is fast with experimental stuff allowed.

not so much with safe mode on (which it is by default). check this out.

I tried it and I thought "wow this guy is on to something". The phone was twice as quick and responsive. It worked great until I realized when I pulled up the app tab all my apps were gone (not listed) except handcent. I turned safe mode back on, and they were there listed again. I might switch back and fourth I don't know.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. The force closes are Home ++. It tells me in the pop up box Home++ is having the issue and needs to force close. I like the function ability of Home ++ but it is getting aggravating, Half the time I get one when I try to change wallpapers. I uninstall it and the problem goes away. However it is installed right now, and I think I'm going to stick with it for awhile. At least until a polished version of the new stock home is released and then I might switch. I would like to see an update to Home++ to fix it......it's been awhile.

Upvote 0
What defines laggy to you guys?

I use Beautiful Home, Home++, Handcent together along with a few other widgets, CalWidget, Pandora, Power Strip, Music, Battery Widget, and Gallery.

I don't notice any real lag per say, when I first unlock my phone there's a slight pause going between screens but after the initial screen swipe, everything is fast and normal again.

Laggy to me is when I go to open an app, or the market in general, there's a long pause. I didn't notice this at first, but it's no where near as quick as it is once you go back to the stock home app. I like Home++, and I'm currently tolerating it, but I'm hoping an update is in the near future. Or maybe the 2.1 upgrade will suffice.

Upvote 0
Found the best home replacement ever...the 2.01 stock home tweaked to have 5 screens. :)

Available on Alldroid in the Droid development forum. Requires root (which I had already done) and it just works, no issues. Very happy with it after about 7 or 8 hours with it installed. Lots of widgets on the screens (Pandora, Facebook, YouTube, Battery Life, Beautiful Home, Google News/Weather, ICE, BT, WiFi, GPS toggles, Network widget, stock music widget (2.1 version), & Calwidget.

If you're rooted and just want a couple additional screens and don't want any issues, this is a really good way to go.

Upvote 0
Found the best home replacement ever...the 2.01 stock home tweaked to have 5 screens. :)

Available on Alldroid in the Droid development forum. Requires root (which I had already done) and it just works, no issues. Very happy with it after about 7 or 8 hours with it installed. Lots of widgets on the screens (Pandora, Facebook, YouTube, Battery Life, Beautiful Home, Google News/Weather, ICE, BT, WiFi, GPS toggles, Network widget, stock music widget (2.1 version), & Calwidget.

If you're rooted and just want a couple additional screens and don't want any issues, this is a really good way to go.

I have to agree with this, although I went a little different route. Home>GDE>Home++>GDE>2.1 Launcher.
Everything seems to be smoother and faster and I've only had 1 force close in 4 days. Before I would get at least 10 a day. Oh, no root for me, just used the 2.1 Launcher installer.
3rd party home replacements don't seem to play well with other apps.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with this, although I went a little different route. GDE>Home++>GDE>2.1 Launcher.
Everything seems to be smoother and faster and I've only had 1 force close in 4 days. Before I would get at least 10 a day. Oh, no root for me, just used the 2.1 Launcher installer.

Where do you get 2.1 Launcher?

Upvote 0
I have to agree with this, although I went a little different route. GDE>Home++>GDE>2.1 Launcher.
I went Home -> Home++ -> dXtop -> GDE -> Launcher -> GDE

So far GDE is the most stable for me, the list of apps in launcher will FC almost everytime I hit it

Upvote 0

Nice that 2.1 Launcher is working for you - I ran it for a day and found that it ate up memory like a beast until it just stopped working so that's when I went to the tweaked 2.01 w/five screens.

Dev who ported the 2.1 launcher said:

xuedoxus said:
Its always cacheing "even in the background" and it never deletes the cache. So it will eventually crash because the cache gets so big dalvikvm cannot process anymore. This will help/fix cpu usage as well.

Must be something different about our setups that allows it to not foul up over time on your system. Are you rebooting regularly or anything?

carnadi88 - look for the 2.1 launcher it on Alldroid.org, in the Droid development forum... The dev is releasing an update in a day or so, you might want to wait for that.

Upvote 0
I am utterly amazed at some of the problems you all are experiencing with Home++. I have 66 apps on the phone (including the native ones) and 15 widgets on 7 screens including Handcent, BW and 2.1 Genie Widget. I made sure that my stock home screen had been cleared of any widgets and I make sure after a full charge (usually, in the morning), I do one power on/off cycle.

I experience a FC maybe 1 time every one-two weeks? If that! I experience some lag, but like the other poster said, after the initial screen swipe, it's flowing again super smooth. Not enough to make me believe it's a problem. Remember, the stocker only has three screens to render and cache. It's going to be somewhat smoother; you're also likely running less widgets and less apps. It's perplexing that you all are having such problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones