• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sad Sad day - Goodbye Touchpad

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
Hi again everyone - I thought I would say goodbye to you all in the Touchpad nest where we have grown accustomed to each other over the past couple of months.

A friend of mine has made me an offer about my touchpad that I cannot refuse and I think I will be parting with it. I have enjoyed the nightly romming (the act of putting a rom on your device :) ) and just say I will not miss you too much because I will be here and on the new forums depending on which device I decide on.

Right now really thinking about Asus Transformer Prime or the Galaxy Tab 2 7inch. If within the next two weeks or so the nexus tablet announcement comes out I might hold on for that one but it will be something that is fully functioning with android.

Cheers!!!!

Reactions: colchiro
We're going to miss you. Don't be a stranger.

We're going to want a review of your new tab. :D

A stranger - never. In fact this is the page that's saved into the favorites so I always come here. I will most likely still be contributing here but not as much since I cannot actually test most of the changes being developed.

As for the the review of the new tablet is for sure as soon as I make up my mind and get something I will do a review - I may do my first video review - the only thing is my accent usually sounds quite a bit funny so I don't really know what I will be doing about that. :)

Upvote 0
I have Asus prime and my wife has the tab 2 7inch. We both started with TP's running cm9. I still have mine, and she gave hers to my mom. I think you will be happy with either one you choose. Though I love my prime I can't part with my TP.

I the transformer prime is really good - not sure if you have to unlock the bootloader when you root it - I have never had an asus device but I saw the galaxy tab 2 7.0 at Sam's Club and I have say not impressed at all - but I give the benefit of the doubt because it is a floor model with wifi internet which means kids have done very many things to it that would make it unattractive.

Upvote 0
Yep I am doing the same as I write this - or actually as soon as I am finished writing this. The device seems nice - high resolution 720p ish - camera in the front - I am a big skype fan and jelly bean which seems to be awesome. The question will really be how do I get jellybean on my phone when I get my new tablet?

On my phone I still do not have ICS so that might be a challenge!!!

Looks like we will both be doing reviews on the tablet :)

Upvote 0
Maybe get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone? :D

Very sweet having 20-30 roms and a dozen kernels available and everything usually works since the device came out with ICS.

BTW, JB is coming out soon for the phone as well, just has to get past Verizon first, which often takes months longer than the European phones.

Upvote 0
Maybe get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone? :D

Very sweet having 20-30 roms and a dozen kernels available and everything usually works since the device came out with ICS.

BTW, JB is coming out soon for the phone as well, just has to get past Verizon first, which often takes months longer than the European phones.

I have thought about that and resolved that from now on it will be so. I am tired of carriers telling me what is good for me. I have to jump through hoops go get my phone updated to the current software to enjoy the new features. How come that does not happen with the iphone? It simply gets updated by Apple when they unveil a new os. The system the carriers are on with Google sucks so it seems from now on I will be buying nexus devices. Also when I got my galaxy s2 from t-mobile it was free after the rebates so I didn't pay anything for the phone which is kind of nice!

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of dropping my TP in favor of just the Nexus 7 or the Nexus 7 & 10 if that comes out. I really should only need one tho. I spend most of my time on the laptop so really don't need a tablet at all tho. :D

I'm happy with my TP, but I have a small hand, and always want to have something lighter. Using the TP as a ebook for college is great, but seems the nexus 7 has more potential. Well keep it for a while, may be someone who bought the nexus 7 want to trade a bigger screen tab.

Upvote 0
I have both the TP w/ 32GB and now the Nexus 7 w/ 8GB and I must admit that I do prefer the larger screen as my eyes are getting pretty old. I just couldn't wait for Google to offer a Nexus 10.
It will be a little handier being more portable... but. I just tried installing a Walgreens app that I use to refill my prescriptions on my TP. Installation reports that that app isn't compatible with the Nexus 7. Boo.
I'm just really fond of my TP. It is my first tablet and at such a great price. I've had to return it to hp for cracks in the case but it's back and working good. I just hope the replacement case is better than the original.
Does anyone have info on the durability of the replacement case and if it still has cracking problems?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones