Safe apps to remove

Last Updated: 2012-12-10 20:26:38
  1. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Well-Known Member Contributor

So i'm sure many of you like myself are wondering what apps are safe to remove. So I thought it would be a good idea to list apps that are. Please post apps that you've removed successfully with no problems, i'll do the same once i get the phone (next friday), and i'll add them in this OP for other members to see :)

Advertisement
    BrwnEyedTxGrl likes this.
  2. cpk

cpk Member

I removed all the Samsung and Google bloat ware with no problems so far.
  3. AndroidHaCks

Could you list every app you removed please? Thanks in advance
  4. cpk

cpk Member

Google talk/books/magazine/+/media hub/more services/Samsung apps.
  5. Jimmy422

Jimmy422 Well-Known Member

So far I've removed Google Play Books / Magazines / Movies / Music, Google+, Media Hub, Mobile ID, More Services, Music Player, Samsung Apps, Google Talk, VirginZone, and VPN Client.

Fair warning, permanently removing these apps prevents your phone from being updated, so I suggest you just disable them instead of removing them completely. It refuses to update to the newest version because I permanently deleted Google Books. If somebody has a backup of it (using Titanium Backup) it would be greatly appreciated if I could have it.
  6. kzrdrnc

kzrdrnc Well-Known Member

What Apps are you guys useing to Disable or Delete your apps?
    I'd rather disable first as Jimmy recommended.
    Thanks
  7. learning2

learning2 Well-Known Member

I'm using MyBackup Pro by rerware from the Market (already owned a license from my previous phone). After you are rooted, you need to download the "MyBackup Root" to get the rooted phone functionality, then click on toolbox.

The main competitor to MyBackup is Titanium Backup, which should be able to do the same things.

Or, if you're good with a terminal emulator, "freezing" usually just means renaming the files to <something>.bak or somesuch.
    kzrdrnc likes this.
  8. kzrdrnc

kzrdrnc Well-Known Member

I'll give MyBackup a try.
    I did the (Poot Root) so I do need a backup.
    Thanks for the info.:)
  9. cobretti

cobretti Well-Known Member

If the apk starts with "com.sec", leave it alone. If there's an .odex next to it, leave it alone. /system/etc/purenandpackages.txt will list everything that came on the phone.
    kzrdrnc likes this.
  10. AndroidHaCks

I'll make a list once I get the phone (hopefully today). Just make sure to back up apps you delete inncase VM ever sends an update out
  11. halfdriven

halfdriven Member

use adb to back up the apk's the remove them. That way if you ever want them back you have them saved.