Safe 'bloatware' to freeze

Last Updated:

1. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

Let's start a list of whats safe for us to remove? Like Blockbuster, NFL , etc

*See posts #6 & 28 for apps

BringItSon likes this.
  2. BringItSon

BringItSon Well-Known Member

good idea. can you keep updating the original post so people dont have to go through everyones posts and such??

i would say Kindle. Zumocast, Vcast are probably safe to remove.
  3. William T Riker

Sure can. Haven't removed anything myself yet, was sort of hoping someone may have seen a list somewhere or done some already.
  4. Blasek

Blasek Well-Known Member

The only bloat I was able to uninstall so far is that golf game... everything else says uninstall unsuccessful (block buster, nfl, all v cast stuff)...
  5. mopillar

mopillar Member

Removed the VZW stuff, NFL, city id, golf, blockbuster, and some other things as well just can't remember off the top of my head.
  6. WyntersEnd

WyntersEnd Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm the guinea pig!

So, I rooted my Bionic using the one click Droid 3 method, worked like a charm!

Installed Titanium Backup. Since I have purchased the pro version I went through freezing stuff - if I froze an app and the phone went wonky I unfroze and left it...

Using that method, here are the apps I've frozen with no issues:

Alarm & Timer 2.3.4
    Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4
    Backup Assistant 2.3.4
    Backup Assistant Client 1.0
    Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4
    [BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.3.4 -- this is the stock browser, I prefer Dolphin HD
    Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
    City ID 1.1.7
    Device Setup 1.0
    Email 2.3.4
    Email Authenticator 2.3.4 -- delete or freeze either of these and lose the stock email app
    Files 2.3.4
    GoToMeeting 1.0
    Guided Tours 2.3.4
    Help Center 2.3.4
    Home screen tips 1.0
    IM Presence 2.3.4
    Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4
    Messaging 2.3.4
    News 2.3.4
    Setup 2.3.4
    Slacker 3.0.535
    Social Location 2.0
    Social Messaging 2.3.4
    Social Networking 2.3.4
    Social Status 2.3.4
    Sticky note 2.3.4
    System Portal 2.3.4
    Task Manager 10.0
    Tasks 1.0
    Toggle Widgets 2.3.4
    Universal Inbox 2.3.4 -- there are 2, both can be safely deleted/frozen
    V CAST Media Manager
    V CAST Music 03.72.110
    V CAST Tones 4.5.11
    V CAST Videos 5.72.008
    VideoSurf 1.0.10
    VZ Navigator
    Weather 2.3.4
    Webtop 1.0
    Webtop Connector 1.0 -- if you're going to use webtop obviously don't touch these!
    World Clock 1.0
    fets, MarvinAndroid, adbloch and 14 others like this.
  7. WyntersEnd

WyntersEnd Well-Known Member

A much cleaner app drawer now! :D:D:D

8. ponchera

ponchera Well-Known Member

so for the rookies, how do you do the uninstalling part after rooting? Do i need to know the path to all these apps and do it through Root Explorer or is their an app to uninstall all this?
  9. voc627

voc627 New Member

I had made a backup of "My Accounts 2.3.4" before deleting and to my displeasure I realized it was tied into the actual Setup menu. I attempted to restore but it seems to be on an endless loop. Fortunately I had already finished all my account syncs but it would be nice to be able to fix this problem. Suggestions or am I SOL for the time being?

The app package "com.motorola.blur.setup"
  10. William T Riker

I use Titanium to freeze or uninstall. Still working ok after cleaning up using Wynter's list.
  11. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

not going to be much help to you now. ...i tried warning everyone not to root until there is a safe recovery method. ..I hope your problem doesn't worsen

for anyone else please DO NOT REMOVE BLOAT...either freeze it using TiBu or rename it. IF you MUST remove it please make a backup of the apk incase you need to put it back on the phone.
    mulox, johnlgalt and breadnatty08 like this.
  12. voc627

voc627 New Member

Oh, by loop I meant Titanium Backup. Everything is working a ok. Just wondering if there was something I missed.
  13. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

ahhh ok. what all did you delete?
  14. voc627

voc627 New Member

I deleted "My Accounts 2.3.4" among other bloat. But that one is the only problematic one.
  15. hunterwrot

hunterwrot Well-Known Member

Very nice thanks for sharing on all your hard work.
  16. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Well-Known Member

And this is why I want to root. But no root for Jachuka until there's an SBF.
  17. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Ok I agree with you now. We are going to have some bricks before this is done.
  18. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Screw it I'm rooting and freezing - I want this VZW BS gone - I hate getting a request to open a browser window every time I mount the damned SDCards....
  19. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I honestly told myself I'd wait the 14 days until I rooted. F it! Done already! :D
    After rooting my NC, GT 10.1 and now the Bionic, I kind of miss the days of all the steps it took to root the OG Droid (Jan '09). Now it's, plug into computer, download some app, run app, done. No sweating involved. :rolleyes:
    johnlgalt likes this.
  20. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's no fun! ADB is so much cooler.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  21. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Actually I never had to use ADB, just all the Apps from the market needed. But, if I can now root in 5min, I'm cool.
  22. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

But, but, but...

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why ANYONE would want to freeze/delete Swype! :eek:
    The greatest app EVER!!! :cool:

(Unless you installed a different/better version.) :confused:

UPDATE: Just an FYI, I did uninstalled the pre-installed version of Swype and installed the latest release. Much mo' bettah!!!
  23. messenger13

Hey, you lasted over a day longer than I did. :D
  24. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

Hello Joe, looks like were back on the same phone again. No worries, my anger management classes went well. LOL.
  25. messenger13

Hello. I just barely remember some exchange that we might have had. Must not have been that big of a deal. ;) Congrats on the new phone. Hope you like it as much as I'm liking mine.