Safe 'bloatware' to freeze

Last Updated: 2012-10-23 22:31:48
  1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I'm about to do mine. I'm tired of having 7 different apps needing root access and none of them being able to do diddly....

I love ADB - I tried to run it last night to see if I could get the phone to boot into recovery, and instead found out that I had never gotten around ot installing the android SDK on this new computer build...

I'm off to go do it now.

My understanding was that if the device came with a particular build, it could not be updated in any way. Am I wrong about this?

I've probably outlasted most folks by now. Time to remedy the situation. I'm not waiting 2 months like I did with my last phone....

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

WARNING!!!

Do NOT freeze Yahoo! Mail Authenticator. You will start getting 'Contact Storage' Force Closes. DAMHIK! :eek: :eek:

FWIW, I have 'Yahoo Contacts' frozen though, and no issues.
  3. messenger13

Stealing from the list in post 6, I added all of the apps I have frozen as well. My notes are in RED.

Alarm & Timer 2.3.4
    Amazon Kindle 3.0.2.71
    Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4

Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4
    Backup Assistant 2.3.4
    Backup Assistant Client 1.0
    Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4
    [BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.3.4 (stock browser) (I kept this one)
    Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
    City ID 1.1.7
    Device Setup 1.0
    DLNA 0709.69
    DlnaSystemService 1.0

Email 2.3.4 (I kept this one)
    Email Authenticator 2.3.4 (I kept this one)
    Files 2.3.4
    Flickr Authenticator 2.3.4
    Gmail 2.3.5 (I like K-9 Mail)
    GoToMeeting 1.0
    Guided Tours 2.3.4
    Help Center 2.3.4
    Homescreen 1.0.0.106
    Home screen tips 1.0 (I deleted this one)
    IM 3.0.4.6 (I deleted this one)
    IM Presence 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
    Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4
    Messaging 2.3.4 (I kept this, even though I use Handcent)
    MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38 (I froze updated version 2.0.0.62)
    News 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
    Print to Retail 1.0
    Setup 2.3.4
    Slacker 3.0.535 (I kept this one)
    Social Location 2.0
    Social Messaging 2.3.4
    Social Networking 2.3.4
    Social Status 2.3.4
    Sticky note 2.3.4
    Swype 3.21.87.27685 (I deleted this and installed version 3.25.91.31127)
    System Portal 2.3.4
    Talk 1.3
    Task Manager 10.0
    Tasks 1.0
    Terminal Emulator 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
    Toggle Widgets 2.3.4
    Twitter Authenticator 2.3.4
    Universal Inbox 2.3.4 -- there are 2, both can be safely frozen
    V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
    V CAST Music 03.72.110
    V CAST Tones 4.5.11
    V CAST Videos 5.72.008
    VideoSurf 1.0.10
    VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
    Weather 2.3.4
    Webtop 1.0 (I kept this one)
    Webtop Connector 1.0 (I kept this one)
    World Clock 1.0
    Yahoo Contacts 2.3.4
    ZumoCast 1.0.25
    adbloch, mulox, lykofos and 8 others like this.
  4. thatguy188

thatguy188 Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried to Freeze/Uninstall Books 1.3.5, blockbuster, and places ? I sure as heck never use it, but since Im new to all of this, i don't wanna be a guinea pig either lol
  5. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

Blockbuster removed no problem for me.
  6. DocSavage

DocSavage New Member

Thanks to Messenger13 and hunterwrot for the safe list!!! Just a fun tidbit of info, I froze the Homescreen...and as you'd imagine, it really did freeze it! No "Home" button and no "double tap" to home feature...Just inky blackness... Once thawed, all was right in my BIONIC's world!

Cheers, Doc Savage
  7. dberthia

dberthia Well-Known Member

So, before I was enlightened about freezing instead of deleting, I removed a few bloatware apps by deleting them completely. Everything's working fine, but have I made life more difficult for me in the future by doing this? Is there anything I need to be concerned about when OTA updates roll out?
  8. messenger13

In my humble, but typically correct, opinion ... :p ... you're fine. I use freezing as more of a test method. Of course, with the Bionic having vastly more memory than my OG Droid did, storage isn't as much of a commodity. But it won't be long before I simply just delete all of the crap I'm not using. Long before the first OTA update is released, I'll have moved on to a custom ROM. In that case, all this bloatware will be totally meaningless, and reduced to a distant memory.
  9. liftedplane

liftedplane Member

so are you having a data error? I've had to flash to stock three times... and I'm not sure if it's linked to freezing or if it's liked to something else. hoping to get rid of the bloat and STOP losing my data, funny I can still make calls though

does anyone know anything about blocking the data collector, in a d2g gb bloat thread they said block that cause it's how they are tracking the tethering... and also to block all of the things that are <service> authenticator like rokut and last.fm or facebook and myspace..

I've had so many problems with the data connection on my phone that I'm afraid to block these
  10. messenger13

I am having ZERO errors and ZERO Force Closes. This Bionic is running flawlessly with ALL of the above apps frozen or deleted according to my notes.
  11. ascottsman333

ascottsman333 Member

Confirmed. I froze all of these with TiBu , rebooted and my phone is not a brick. I had some motoblur widgets get broken (wifi/bt/gps toggles) but otherwise no repercussions.
  12. johnlgalt

I'm about to go take a shower, an then I'm freezing tonight.
  13. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

Well I took the plunge, rooted and started removing some apps, namely VCast, blockbuster, NFL etc... I cannot comprehend why they have to put this stuff on their phones. Most of the useless stuff just takes up space and gets very annoying. For me this is the most important reason for rooting. ;-)
  14. messenger13

Follow the money trail my friend. ;)
  15. johnlgalt

And yet the majority of people in here don't build their own PCs (I do), they go out and buy them from OEMs who put the exact same kind of bloatware on their machines prior to sale....

You cannot understand why? Seriously??? :confused:
    SNeitzel likes this.
  16. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

The only OEM PC I have ever bought was a Mac. Everything else has been home built except for laptops. Those get wiped and reinstalled with a retail OS disk.

I managed to last a grand total of 15 hours before I rooted.
    Time to start tweaking and freezing.

Thanks everyone for compiling the list!!!
  17. messenger13

Mine was rooted in less than 12, what a geek. ;)
    And, you're welcome.
  18. thatguy188

thatguy188 Well-Known Member

I would suggest NOT to remove the Stock Browser ([BOOKMARKS] Browser) as that seems to break Voice Search :)
  19. thetingster

We need this thread stickified. I had a tough time finding it today. ;-P
  20. messenger13

I need to update my list. I've learned a few things since my last update.
  21. thetingster

Uh oh. What did you learn?
  22. messenger13

I need to take some time and organize my thoughts. Nothing too earth-shattering. Just what stock features are affected when removing (freezing) some of the bloatware.
  23. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member

I hope you've had enough time to think because my bionic's wanting to freeeze over here! I'm not sure if unl3ash3d 1.4 removed all the possible bloat but I'm going to just double-check today to make sure ;)

Side note: Did they remove the File Manager app in 1.4? I'm kind of sad because I personally liked it more than Astro :( Anyone have the apk floating around?
  24. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

He did remove the file manager but if you have an older version of the rom on your computer, go into system then app and look for it. Copy it to your phone and find it with astro then install. If you can't find it I will upload a copy.
  25. Vixer

Vixer Well-Known Member

RDK, I liked Files (file manager) better than Astro as well. Wish he would put it back in Unl3ash3d.