• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safe 'bloatware' to freeze

RDK, I liked Files (file manager) better than Astro as well. Wish he would put it back in Unl3ash3d.

You guys really need to buy Titanium Backup Pro (if you haven't already) and backup every app (user and system) on a regular basis. I'm running 1.5 and "Files" isn't in there. So I simply fired up TiBu and restored the app. Took all of 5 seconds. Just sayin'. Don't depend on Devs to keep the apps that you like. It's their ROM, not yours. ;)

Reactions: SNeitzel and mulox
Upvote 0
You guys really need to buy Titanium Backup Pro (if you haven't already) and backup every app (user and system) on a regular basis. I'm running 1.5 and "Files" isn't in there. So I simply fired up TiBu and restored the app. Took all of 5 seconds. Just sayin'. Don't depend on Devs to keep the apps that you like. It's their ROM, not yours. ;)

I bought TB Pro as it's definitiely a Very worthwhile application for everyone to own thus I wanted to send the dev(s) some THANX ($$)... But I long ago uninstalled it as I always run a Clockworks backup before flashing any new version so I can always go back and extract anything I need from an earlier version from the backup system or data tarfile...

I don't want to dissuade anyone from purchasing TB Pro, as it's the easiest tool there is for most folks general use, just I wanted to comment here for folks who may have done a Clockwork Backup but hadn't previously run TB Pro as they aren't out of luck, just takes more manual steps to recover something...

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I finally decided to root my Bionic that I've had since release day. First thing I did was buy Titanium Backup Pro and start freezing bloat using the lists here. Definitely enjoying root / they're some pretty cool root apps.

Ditto - got my bionic on day 1 and just rooted it 2 nights ago, bought TiBu pro yesterday and froze all that crap! WHat cool root apps have you found?

QUESTION - When an OTA update is released and if I accept it, will it remove root as well as thaw the frozen programs? Thanks!

Upvote 0
It will remove root, because the /System partition should be formatted. There is a small possibility though, that it may not, and will only update the files in that partition.

As to whether it blocks any future rooting, we're not 100% sure yet.

Finally, It won't unfreeze apps per se, but if it formats the partitions, then yes, they will appear to be unfrozen.

If it updates existing apps, I'm not sure if it will install missing ones or just skip over them.

Also, there is the possibility that the update may not take if all the apps are not present and accounted for, so that is why we suggest freezing instead of deleting - so if that is the case, we unfreeze ,and poof! Instant update.

Reactions: AurJohn
Upvote 0
Ditto - got my bionic on day 1 and just rooted it 2 nights ago, bought TiBu pro yesterday and froze all that crap! WHat cool root apps have you found?

QUESTION - When an OTA update is released and if I accept it, will it remove root as well as thaw the frozen programs? Thanks!

Looks like John thoroughly answered the 2nd question, as for the first one about root apps, that's a good idea for a new thread! Made one here: http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...you-recommend-have-installed.html#post3565631 so we don't throw this thread off topic.

Upvote 0
I had one of the incremental updates take with 20 items frozen in my phone.

But, at the time, I didn't think about it - with TiBu i opted to not remove he market links for those items I froze.

I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Though I have experienced incremental updates that didn't affect root or frozen bloat over the years on many phones, I have not seen this effect on the leaks circulating for the bionic as they wipe the system partition.

Upvote 0
Hate to tell you this, but you're better off using R3L34S3D root to revert to fully sotck, applying root and 43v3r root, and then trying for the update.

And buy Titanium Backup - support the dev - and FREEZE the apps after applying the update, do not uninstall them because this will happen again.

Those files are trying to be reinstalled and they are used by another app that you did not uninstall, and they will not be installing b/c the app that uses them is already running and thus the system won't allow you to add a new component that is used by that system app b/c it's already checked for that component and in order to add it back to the system it needs to register with the running app.

You'd have to find a way to FC that app before being able to install it back, or else do it completely manually via adb, but at this point, you're best shot is to make a full Ti Bu and then use the R3L34S3D root tool to revert, then root, then apply 43v3r root, and finally look for the update.

Upvote 0
Hate to tell you this, but you're better off using R3L34S3D root to revert to fully sotck, applying root and 43v3r root, and then trying for the update.

And buy Titanium Backup - support the dev - and FREEZE the apps after applying the update, do not uninstall them because this will happen again.

Okay so what do you mean using R3L34S3D root to revert to fully stock. Will I lose all my app data and stuff and could you post some links too that would be helpful. Then by applying root do you mean using petes one click method thing or a different method and same thing with 43v4r root I dont know what that is.

Upvote 0
1) In the ATR Guide: http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-all-things-root-guide-updated-11-1-11-a.html go to the first section http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-things-root-guide-updated-11-1-11-a.html#all - it ahs the links.

2) This thread (that we're posting in right now) specifically tells you to not remove the apps but to freeze them.

3) There might be a way to get all of this working without having to go through the FXZ restore method, but TBH, I'm not sure what else you might have done to your phone, and rather than face the possibility that later on the update fails to apply b/c of something else that is not right, it would be in your best interest to start from scratch.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
1) In the ATR Guide: http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-all-things-root-guide-updated-11-1-11-a.html go to the first section http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-things-root-guide-updated-11-1-11-a.html#all - it ahs the links.

2) This thread (that we're posting in right now) specifically tells you to not remove the apps but to freeze them.

3) There might be a way to get all of this working without having to go through the FXZ restore method, but TBH, I'm not sure what else you might have done to your phone, and rather than face the possibility that later on the update fails to apply b/c of something else that is not right, it would be in your best interest to start from scratch.

All i have done is remove bloatware. And i was thinking bout a factory reset cause i can have all my apps backed up on titanium backup. Is that what you meant by the restore then root and then the root hack thing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones