1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Safe site to download Application .apk files?

Last Updated:

1. elanning

elanning Active Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings,

I just want to ask the forum if there is a reliable and safe place to download app .apk files from. Some apps do not recognize my phone as compatible when I am using one ROM or another, and so I would like to just download the .apk and install it manually.

It is not that hard to Google the app name and find some site hosting the .apk but I am not sure about trusting a random site to give me the real app.

Any tips on a reputable site that collects .apk files?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but also to remind you that asking for paid software apks or warez on this forum is a big nono.

That said, there are a fair number of legit markets out there but I'm not sure how many give you apks separately. Most will try to automate the process for you.

Here are a few of the legit options you have:

Android Market (Google)
    Amazon AppStore
    SlideMe
    AppBrain
    AndAppStore
    AppsLib (Archos)

3. elanning

elanning Active Member This Topic's Starter

I had not thought about the way I phrased that, I am not looking to pirate I assure you. Though now that you bring that up, I guess I can see why the market doesn't post links directly to .apk files for paid apps. I suppose I would like to see some secondary method where you can verify that you own the app and get like a one-time link to the file, but that may be asking to much for an issue not many people are running into anyway.

My specific problem at the moment is that I installed the just released MIUI ROM for the Droid X and free apps like Google Shopper and PayPal no longer recognize my phone when I try to install them through the market.

Perhaps that is just the price one pays for running cutsom ROMs.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Ah I see, makes sense :)

I'd actually recommend asking in the Droid X root forum and see if anyone knows how to get free apps to work again, or in the MIUI communities.

That would be a more long term solution I would think :)

Droid X - All Things Root - Android Forums

hope that helps

elanning likes this.