• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Safe to buy a VZW GNex yet?

JL44516

Sep 8, 2010
hey fellas i had a gnex when it first came out went through 2 devices before returning it for good...i do still see people complaining about 4g signal strength and dropped calls and my question is does anyone think by getting a gnex this week will be any better than the ones i had when the phone first launched? do you think samsung and vzw have silently updated hardware in the newer builds? i know they came out with a mini update but i guess i just really want your advice to see if you think it is safe to go ahead and purchase one yet or just grab the razr maxx because i am tired of waiting...thanks again.

Low signal is mostly display thing, not actual connection strength or speed and it will get better with updates. But losing connection altogether is different matter and it could be from bad batch or VZW network issue. Apparently there were some bad devices losing connection much worse than others. Don't know what it is, but I guess samsung dropped ball on QC of some early batches. But it looks like bad device issue is mostly fixed as recent buyers don't seem to have much issue with signal reception.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Mine too. I have a Launch Day Nexus, built in late November. While I'm not particularly thrilled with the signal strength (compared to other devices), I have never dropped a call, either.

I guess it also depends on signal strength and distance to the towers where you are at the moment... but I have so little to complain about with this phone, compared to the advantages I can crow about, that I can't imagine NOT having a Nexus at this point.

Upvote 0
It's exactly the same now as it was at launch; an extremely awesome and stable phone. A huge percentage of issues people report on here are user error and not because of the phone. It does have a handful of legitimate issues but they are all small and most people will never encounter or notice them.

If one honestly has difficulty getting a GN to work right, their specific phone is defective or they should probably consider getting an iPhone.

Reactions: quikric and jbdan
Upvote 0
I'm on my 2nd replacement waiting for a third.

I would not recommend buying it just yet.

If it's not a signal issue, then it's the screen.

Or both. Like me.

first one = random but seldom signal loss (voice+data), yellow tint on screen.

second one = random and frequent signal loss, vertical banding on screen.

My calls to Verizon past 2 weeks makes up 90% of my overall calls.

I love the ICS and the phone when it works, but you'll be taking a chance.

Reactions: pcriz
Upvote 0
I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you guys are having issues with Nexus, but keep in mind that there were a WHOLE BUNCH of these things built. Human error and mass production quotas always yield a few bad apples in the bunch... if a company can get a 99% QA check on any production line, that's a great percentage! But that also means that much of that 1% will eventually fall into consumers' hands.

When you consider the many thousands of people who have had NO problems with their Nexus, put up against the relatively small number of complaints posted in forums like this (you'll find very few posts about "perfect" phones), then the chances of getting a bad phone are very small: but still there.

If you did get a bad phone, or even a couple of them (maybe they came from the same batch or factory?), keep trying. You WILL get a phone that works and works well. And when you do, don't hesitate to tell us about it!

A great many folks in forums post the bad stuff about their phones but not enough of the good stuff, creating the illusion of an overall bad device. There is little remedy for that, save for people like Saint and me who will proudly tell the world that our Nexi work as promised and even exceed our expectations.

Unless you're somewhere on the bleeding edge of Verizon signal, my advice is to JUMP IN on Nexus. It's a safe bet you'll get a phone that's just fine, and will only improve with time.

My 0.02 :)

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Actually everything on the phone has improved (still stock), but maybe it has alot to do with my learning the device and how to set it, or just getting conditioned to its quirks.

There are always bad devices, I wish I had precise statistics... it's always a dice roll, what maybe 5-10% of users return the device due to defects --- or at least perceived defects? I wish I knew... they probably keep those statistics tightly guarded!

Upvote 0
I also have a launch day phone, and currently on the leaked 4.0.4 Rom, and it seems to have improved some of the biggest complaint areas. I haven't had a random reboot since I flashed, and also my 4G signal is a little stronger. So whenever the OTA goes out, I would say most of the complaints about the phone will disappear, based on my own experience.

Upvote 0
I must have a crappy device. Going to see about a swap this week. If not, coming back to a Moto. Or maybe a fruity phone. :eek:

Ahem, that said, I dont think (IMHO) we are in the safe zone just yet.

i mean i didn't think so either, but with amazon having it for 99.99 and since it is for an add a line i can't go wrong, but like i said i am still between that crazy battery life of the maxx and i don't know whats going to happen with the white nexus but i don't want to wait too much longer since i don't know when they are going to end this double data promotion!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones