Safely Remove Hardware prompt in Windows 7Support

Last Updated:

1. wioneo

wioneo Member This Topic's Starter

I have a newish Windows 7 laptop, and the "safely remove hardware" thing is missing from my tasbar. I don't remember ever actually using it before on this computer, so maybe it was removed in 7, but based on Google searches that does not seem to be true.

I have "always show all icons" or whatever the equivalent option is chosen in the taskbar customization.

EDIT:: Also, mp3s in my media-audio-ringtones folder are showing up in my music list, is there a way to stop that?
    EDIT:: Also, can you add more than the 3 alarms?

Advertisement
  2. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

It's still there. It's a USB plug with a green circle next to it with a check mark on it.

3. wioneo

I suppose it's just missing for me then? I won't be able to test a flash drive until later to test that out. Can you think of any reason for it to not show up?

4. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

It will only show up when a USB device is plugged in.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

re: EDIT1: Is this in your music library or in WiMP / WMC?

re: EDIT2: Are you referring to a Gadget that you have installed, or is this software that may have come with your computer? There is not a Windows 7 native alarm clock, but there is a nifty way to work around it using either:

1. Gadgets - See Windows Live Gallery
    2. Windows Task Scheduler + Windows Media Player (WiMP) - see Windows Media Player Alarm Clock using Task Scheduler

Correct. If you do not have a USB accessible device, then it won't show.

6. wioneo

I'm sorry if I was not very specific in my original post. This was originally posted in The Droid 2 phone forums and all of the questions pertain to that phone, I'm not sure why it was moved but if any of you have experience with an android phone any help would be rgeatly appreciated.

When I said that I did not see it, I meant that I did not see the icon after plugging in my phone's usb cord, and was worried that just pulling the plug could cause damage.

I was referring to the built-in phone alarms, and I have all of the music files saved under media-audio-music while all of the ringtones are under media-audio-ringtones.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Ahh, that explains it. The person who moved the post probably though the same as I did - that you were asking Qs about your computer as opposed to your phone.

I'll move it back there now.

BTW - do you have the correct USB drivers for the D2 installed on your computer?

8. wioneo

I think that I have everything installed. A Motorola icon shows up when I have the phone connected, and I have been able to transfer files without any issues. Also a Droid application(it just seems like a skinned windows explorer) opens while the phone is connected.

I have noticed that if I set the option for WinAmp to manage the usb connection, I do get the safely remove hardware thing, and the Droid window does not open(it acts exactly like a flash drive would).

So in essence my problem is solved, unless I ever decide to stop using WinAmp, I think.