• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safest Way to Obtain Money for a Car in a Private Sale?

lordofthereef

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2010
Some of you may have read about me selling my truck. I found a buyer at my asking price and he asked me what form of payment I wanted. He suggested a cashier's check straight from his bank.

The question is what is safest?

I have never sold a car before (that's not true, I sold a car to my girlfriend's mom, but that was smooth sailing and I obviously know her). Would I go with him to my bank and have them process my cashier's check? The guy seems honest and I have no real reason NOT to trust him except that it seems it's hard to trust anybody these days.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Some of you may have read about me selling my truck. I found a buyer at my asking price and he asked me what form of payment I wanted. He suggested a cashier's check straight from his bank.

The question is what is safest?

I have never sold a car before (that's not true, I sold a car to my girlfriend's mom, but that was smooth sailing and I obviously know her). Would I go with him to my bank and have them process my cashier's check? The guy seems honest and I have no real reason NOT to trust him except that it seems it's hard to trust anybody these days.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a dear friend that received a nice $3,000.00 "cashier's check" from someone who bought her antique desk. The check was bad. These days, I would never trust a cashier's check unless I know and trust the person that presented it.

If you go to the bank with the buyer and the bank issues you a check and you SEE them issue a check, then you should not have a problem. However, make sure you go into the bank with the buyer because for all you know, the buyer might simply walk around the bank for a bit and hand you a bogus check that was not issued by the bank.

Luck to ya, Bob

Upvote 0
I have a dear friend that received a nice $3,000.00 "cashier's check" from someone who bought her antique desk. The check was bad. These days, I would never trust a cashier's check unless I know and trust the person that presented it.

If you go to the bank with the buyer and the bank issues you a check and you SEE them issue a check, then you should not have a problem. However, make sure you go into the bank with the buyer because for all you know, the buyer might simply walk around the bank for a bit and hand you a bogus check that was not issued by the bank.

Luck to ya, Bob

Good advice. This is something of a concern of mine. I guess what is unclear to me is does this have to be HIS bank that we go through or is it my bank? My bank is just down the road from my house, so that is not an issue. Who provides the notary stamp?

Upvote 0
Good advice. This is something of a concern of mine. I guess what is unclear to me is does this have to be HIS bank that we go through or is it my bank? My bank is just down the road from my house, so that is not an issue. Who provides the notary stamp?

Some banks will accept a cashier's check for deposit. Then you write 20,000 worth of checks and they bounce because the check is bad. Ask your bank first. Perhaps they will call the buyer's bank and clear it on the spot.

I say go to his bank, watch the teller cut the check, and you should be OK.

My bank has a notary, so perhaps your bank does as well.

Cheers and Luck, Bob

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
Selling the truck for $22k. I would feel uneasy about accepting that much cash! I will have to look into state law. A notary stamp is a fantastic idea. Here's to hoping something like this is required.
Your buyer should want to make certain he/she is getting a clear title to said truck as well. All this should be done at buyers bank. You sign the truck over to him. The bank assures you of your funds for the truck. A notary (all banks will have one) will put their witness stamp on the transaction.

Upvote 0
A notary (all banks will have one) will put their witness stamp on the transaction.
I guess this is where I am unclear (forgive the ignorance, I have never done this before). So they put their stamp... on what specifically? I get some paperwork from the bank? The buyer gets the paperwork from the bank? We both do?

Again, sorry for the nooby questions. :eek:

Upvote 0
You should have in your possession a title to your truck. It should show no liens on the property. On the back of it there should be a spot to relinquish your ownership to the purchaser. That is what should be witnessed by a notary. At least that is how it goes down in Kansas. You can even do something similar with a bill of sale.. hand written or something more formal. Your buyer has to prove he owns the truck to get insurance as well as property tax and tags and whatever. This is in the form of the title which you should have now.. saying that you own the truck you are selling. It is witnessed as you sign ownership over to your buyer. That he needs. Your need is that your payment is secure. That the bank should be able to do for you. That is why going to his bank is best. His money is there.. until he gives it to you.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
I will need to call the buyer tonight after I get off work. I called the bank (his bank) and they said checks are generally very safe, but my absolute safest bet is to come in and cash it. It's about a three hour drive, but I think it would be worth it. I will see what he wants. I can either meet him by his bank, take the money on the spot, fill out the necessary papers, etc. or I can take his check, wait for it to clear completely, and fill out the paperwork after that.

Upvote 0
I like the money order idea as well. That's why I mentioned it in my original reply. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to obtain a money order is to fork over the cash for it. No plastic or check is accepted for a money order at my wife's place of business. I don't know if that's just a kroger rule or if that's the rule of the land. In any event.. I think it is secure funds.

Upvote 0
I would do a certified check, I bought some land off of a co-worker and we both went to my credit union and they just cut the check out of my savings account and made it out to him. He went to his credit union and deposited it and it was good to go. Maybe give your bank/credit union a call and see what they recommend.

Also that is where we got the notory to sign and do some of that stuff too. But different situation.

Upvote 0
I have decided just to go to his bank where they said they would cash the cashier's check on site. I can deposit the money then and there, sign off the paperwork, and be done that way. The buyer said he would be happy to do that and even asked if I had a ride home (which I do). Seems like a very nice guy. Will report how things went down tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Upvote 0
I promised I would update here. The sale went without a hitch. Cashed the check on the spot and took the money directly to my bank. Turns out I didn't have to worry about anything from the getgo, but I would still be waiting for the check to go through had I just accepted it to begin with. This way I saved a lot of stress to myself!

Upvote 0
There is no law against carrying around cash no matter the amount. Since it came from a legit sale you have nothing to worry about.

If you get robbed, you're SOL.

If you get pulled over, and if the cop searches your car (by the way, "I consent to nothing" should be your standard response to any cop search requests) and finds the money (or, heaven help you, they bring a drug dog who alerts on the money), he will assume its drug money, especially if you live in a "constitution-free zone" that's within 100 miles of a coast or US border. You'll probably be arrested. Then you'll spend probably the next 3 years of your life fighting some kind of BS civil asset forfeiture, because CAF assumes you're guilty until proven innocent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones