• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Said:the President of Verizon

Isn't it 12/21/2012?
Yeah actually it is
rmcn244l.jpg

Upvote 0
I'd like to see the iPhone available for ALL carriers. Balance out all those disgruntled AT&T customers.

I'd also prefer to see identical phones released for each carrier.

Samsung is one step in the right direction witht he Galaxy S idea...in that all the phones of that series will have comperable featuresets (with some exceptions)

I'd like to see it go further. HTC could for instance make a phone that is practically identical for each of the carriers. So the Verizon EVO can be called EVE, and the AT&T EVO would be EVA and so on and so forth.

All the specs would be identical, just locked to each carrier (CDMA/GSM).

This is probably somehow counter-profitable though, so it probably won't ever happen.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see the iPhone available for ALL carriers. Balance out all those disgruntled AT&T customers.

I'd also prefer to see identical phones released for each carrier.

Samsung is one step in the right direction witht he Galaxy S idea...in that all the phones of that series will have comperable featuresets (with some exceptions)

I'd like to see it go further. HTC could for instance make a phone that is practically identical for each of the carriers. So the Verizon EVO can be called EVE, and the AT&T EVO would be EVA and so on and so forth.

All the specs would be identical, just locked to each carrier (CDMA/GSM).

This is probably somehow counter-profitable though, so it probably won't ever happen.
I think that carriers like that have exclusive handsets. Sprint was doing well with the EVO for awhile there. If HTC had released a similar device on other carrier networks then it probably wouldn't have sold as well for Sprint. Sprint may have even not purchased as many to sell.

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see what happens if verizon does get the iphone.

I would *love* for another carrier to get iphone.. partly because, lets be real...there are a lot of people on all networks who want one..

Plus let be real... once the stupid thing goes to more carriers... people will be able to get them... meaning there isn't going to be that "status symbol" factor involved..

If status symbol ends for the iphone... well we all remember the razr.

Upvote 0
I think that carriers like that have exclusive handsets. Sprint was doing well with the EVO for awhile there. If HTC had released a similar device on other carrier networks then it probably wouldn't have sold as well for Sprint. Sprint may have even not purchased as many to sell.

Sprint would make up for it in iPhone sales, or a Galaxy S 4G phone without a sliding keyboard.

If you lose something over here, you get it back over there with my model. However, I think you are right, having the exclusivity, helps in some cases.

Upvote 0
i don't really care if verizon gets the iphone. I will agree with the above poster that it won't be as much of a status symbol when it becomes available on all networks. I would also like to add:

to everyone who is talking about verizons network being bogged down by all the iphone users like at&t's is - this wont happen. If you haven't yet, you should read IOWA's article on CDMA vs. GSM networks. GSM (at&t) cannot handle even half as many users on one tower as CDMA can. This is why at&ts network gets bogged down. And the same reason you get the "all circuits are busy now" error message on at&t and tmobile sometimes

Upvote 0
I really don't understand why no one believes me when I keep saying the iPhone is going to Sprint. Why, Why doesn't anyone believe me. :p

TS

It's not that I don't beleive you, it's more that I don't care. Only thing I hate more than Apple is Sprint! So I guess it's a match made in heaven, unless it brings about the End of Days.

Upvote 0

Plus carriers are discouraged from going all out on advertising a phone that it available from other carriers, inevitably advertising for their competition.

i don't really care if verizon gets the iphone. I will agree with the above poster that it won't be as much of a status symbol when it becomes available on all networks. I would also like to add:

to everyone who is talking about verizons network being bogged down by all the iphone users like at&t's is - this wont happen. If you haven't yet, you should read IOWA's article on CDMA vs. GSM networks. GSM (at&t) cannot handle even half as many users on one tower as CDMA can. This is why at&ts network gets bogged down. And the same reason you get the "all circuits are busy now" error message on at&t and tmobile sometimes
I can't find this... link?

Upvote 0
I don't understand why all the rumors year after year get blown out of proportion with the Iphone coming to big red. Bottom line is apple and at&t signed an exclusivity contract valid thru 2012 and unless there is either a buyout of said contract or a breach of said contract, the Iphone will only be available on at&t in the US until 2012.

Edit: To add to that, apple originally went to verizon with the offer of them holding the exclusivity. Verizon didn't want to play ball under apple's terms, so verizon missed out.

they didn't miss out on anything... the iphone has destroyed att's reputation.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones