• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sales not doing too good- Discounts on horizon?

The only thing I blame is advertising. I compare it to the advertising done for my phone --- an EVO. Sprint was pushing the EVO for at least a month before the device came out in about every venue where someone would listen.

The carriers simply haven't been advertising the Tab. Whether that was Samsung's job or the carriers' job, I don't know (probably both), but they did a terrible job advertising the device.

I really don't think the proprietary connector matters ... who cares? The price might be a little high (not really in my personal opinion). But in all, I think it comes down to the fact that no one knows about it.

Upvote 0
I was in best buy last night and compared the Tab to the iPad side by side. I went to engadget on both devices and the Tab can scroll the entire page quickly and no issues. The iPad would scroll for a split second and then present the pixel dots like a device that doesn't have enough memory. My Touch Pro used to do this. It was an eye opener. Also I could really see the difference in pixel density. The tab looked way better in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I definitely like the size of this category. Dont know what Steve Jobs was thinking when he said the 7in Tablets were gonna be DOA. I actually dont feel stupid taking this into a resturant or bar. Now the IPad is a different story.

Agree, when you hold one (tab) it just feels right. I see this size tablet sticking around for awhile and I wouldn't be surprised to see a ipad version out next year.

Upvote 0
In terms of the size of the Tab the question is what are you actually doing with it? As a web browser/Email machine then 7 inches is fine, not a problem. Trying to do anything productive on it is a different story. I used a Tab for a while to see if it was any different than my DroidX and unfortunately it wasn't. I also have an ipad and the extra space makes a huge difference especially when using programs like Pages and creating documents. It was also a better experience watching media on the ipad with the larger screen. I wont even mention the difference in Apps between the two.
I think the Tab is a good start for an Android tablet but that is only if you dont already have an Android phone.
I think the Tab could be a big seller but not at the price point its at now and no way with a two year contract considering there will be a load of tablets coming in the next couple of months that are going to be a lot better than the Tab. Just my opinion.

Reactions: sjjones
Upvote 0
Sadly I believe also that it is advertising. I mean they don't do much advertising...Just the other day I was asking my mate should I buy a Tablet or a Laptop and he said, "What's a Tablet?" So I said, "It's kind of like an ipad."

I know, I know, it's different/better then an ipad, but I has to compare it to the closest thing to it that people know what it is..

Upvote 0
I think people miss the price point reasoning. A brand new smart phone off contract is $400.00 to $600.00 so i think with the screen size, two cameras, and Android Market make the price point right on the money. The only reason most people complaining about the price point can afford a new droid x or evo is because its subsidised. How much would an Evo cost off contract? The Galaxy Tab has phone capability, its just software blocked. Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0
It's not with Skype and google voice installed. It works fine as a phone then. (Especially now that I've dropped my poor N1 a few too many times. :()

I also don't agree with the comments made about limited productivity. I have docs to go on mine, and coupled with a wireless keyboard have no trouble with document creation or editing. For fun, the viewing experience is great, the size is perfect, and I have very few complaints about the unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones