• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sampling Rate on Setcpu, what is yours?

andrew53517

Android Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2009
What is your guy's sampling rate on setcpu? It comes standard as 46875.. This is what it means if you don't know what it means...

Sampling Rate is defined in microseconds. The lower this value, the more responsive the CPU will be in scaling its speed up or down. However, a lower sampling rate will also negatively impact overall performance.

SetCPU

I lowered mine to 41000... Just wanted to see if it made any difference.. I think it might have.. but I'm not quite sure yet.

Also, should set on boot be checked?

What is yours?!

I didnt know what any of the "advanced settings" did, so I didnt want to mess with them. haha

I believe the sampling rate is basically just how often the CPU "refreshes" to change its clock speed.

In which case, I doubt such a fast value is necessary. I just changed mine to 1000000 (10^6 microseconds or a resample every second) and when I rebooted it went back to 46875. So I checked off set on boot and set the value back to 1000000 and rebooted. The sampling rate now stays at 1000000. So I think set on boot is just a "remember these settings" kinda thing. Does it feel snappier? Maybe a little? That could just be in my head though. I'm gonna set it to the max value of 15 seconds and see how it works! Even if the battery temperature goes above my threshold of 50C, I doubt 15 seconds of 51C is going to do much damage to it. :D

Upvote 0
I believe the sampling rate is basically just how often the CPU "refreshes" to change its clock speed.

In which case, I doubt such a fast value is necessary. I just changed mine to 1000000 (10^6 microseconds or a resample every second) and when I rebooted it went back to 46875. So I checked off set on boot and set the value back to 1000000 and rebooted. The sampling rate now stays at 1000000. So I think set on boot is just a "remember these settings" kinda thing. Does it feel snappier? Maybe a little? That could just be in my head though. I'm gonna set it to the max value of 15 seconds and see how it works! Even if the battery temperature goes above my threshold of 50C, I doubt 15 seconds of 51C is going to do much damage to it. :D

Wouldn't it be lower the sample rating the faster?

"The lower this value, the more responsive the CPU will be in scaling its speed up or down."

Idk, me just thinking out loud..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones