Samsung Acclaim US Cellular 2.2 update

Last Updated: 2011-05-10 18:02:23
  1. kenzieraye88

kenzieraye88 New Member

I work for U.S. Cellular.

Advertisement
  2. cwill0303

cwill0303 Well-Known Member

Cool, so what is your definition of "very soon"? Not trying to be rude, but 3 weeks later and still nothing is not "very soon" in my book. Probably shouldnt estimate if you dont really know. That being said, I will wait patiently so they can test and avoid having problems with my phone. :)
  3. fatphatboy88

fatphatboy88 Member

I asked a manager at a US cellular store a couple days ago and he told me Froyo was being released in a week or two at the most.
  4. JJ_DA_KING

JJ_DA_KING New Member

That would be great cause I want flash player
  5. LoRes2101

LoRes2101 Member

I just randomly searched for what phones have flash. I was surprised any did (only heard about the apple noobs), then even more surprised when I saw everything on Google about android. Kind of frustrating US Cellular always seems last in everything in terms of stuff and actual phones, but at least they're a great company in general. Anyway I created an account because this was the first time I Googled something that was actually relevent/on-going as I was randomly looking into it.

Is there going to be any way to find out when Froyo is released other than specifically searching for it like here? Or do the phones get some sort of notification sent to them?
  6. Terrylbs

Terrylbs New Member

I hope Froyo 2.2 fixes a lot of issues with this phone and the many bugs in Android itself. Does anyone know what Froyo 2.2 will fix?

At this point the thought of being stuck with this Samsung Acclaim phone and android buggy software is just a nightmare. I had a Blackberry 8330 before this phone and it was way more reliable than DROID phone. There is a major issue with the mail on the DROID platform not to mention DROID "AKA GOOGLE" does not allow you to sync you phone with Outlook. Blackberry comes with free software to do this called the "Manager". Google wants to charge you a yearly fee to keep your Outlook easily synced with your "DROID AKA Goggle Phone". Follow this link to Google sync service.

Furthermore Google's does not have notes to sync with Outlook. They do have an online app call Google notebook but it will does not allow you to even import a file and only export.

Also, DROID does not allow you to add or sort your contacts categories. Categories are not alphabetized they are listed in a sloppy mess. All of these items are super easy to fix but Google either does not care or does not have the time. Very slow progress and it is making the phone service provider and phone manufacturers look bad.

If you are currently a Blackberry user I would stay with what you have or go with a Iphone if you can afford to. Maybe check back in a year to see if Google is fixing anything with their DROID OS. DROID has a lot of potential they just are not moving to quickly to fix things "even the simplest things"!!!

One last thing I would like to add the Samsung Acclaim is very buggy and freezes often battery dies constantly even with "Advance APP killer". If you have had this phone less than 30 days take it back and get something different. Having this phone for two years would be absolutely insane and a huge disappointment.
  7. SammyAcclaim

SammyAcclaim Well-Known Member

Terrylbs,

Have you taken a look at this post? Maybe that will help.

http://androidforums.com/droid-support-troubleshooting/13302-solution-syncing-outlook-droid.html

I will contend that standalone Outlook is not a true business messaging system anyways as it is not centralized. Although it does allow for easy individual user mail management it is confined to that role. I have this same problem when dealing with users who have not moved their mail management to a more centralized solution such as the "cloud"(I use that term loosely) or an exchange server. They want to share their mail, calendar, task, etc. but are not utilizing a system built for this.

This responsiblity is not only Google's but Microsoft's. They have more than enough capability to create an Outlook for Android app and build the conduit system for installation on a PC but have choosen instead to develop their own phone in competition with Google. I wouldn't expect either company to cater to the others needs any more than they already have.

Also, realize that this is exactly what BB did when they came onto the scene. They built their own software for the PC and also to integrate with Exchange Server. Except their goal was to reach as many people in the market where Google and MS are only trying to reach "their" customers or push more people to be exclusively "their" customer. If the Blackberry handsets market ever fails I could easily see RIM continue on with something like Blackberry messaging for Android and most likely even IPhone.

I do hope that you are able to find a solution to your issue and continue on with Android as in my own opinion it has so much more to offer than Blackberry(I am a former Blackberry user myself).

In regards to your battery life and freezing issues, I can say I have niether. Battery life hasn't been an issue and freezing was only an issue when I loaded the phone full of useless apps. Once I cleaned it up its been running fine. Also, the Acclaim is a pretty cheap phone so the system resources it has aren't much compared to some of the other Android handsets out there.
    Terrylbs likes this.
  8. Terrylbs

Terrylbs New Member

I left this out of my last post.

I am also having issues with marking my mail as read. I can do it now and 4 to 10 minutes later the same mail I mark read is marked unread again. The only way to get rid of them is to delete them. Does anyone know if this this bug is addressed in Froyo 2.2?

I know that there are a lot of people currently having this same issue.
  9. fatphatboy88

fatphatboy88 Member

U.S. Cellular:
    We're working hard to provide current Android-powered phones with an upgrade to Froyo (Android 2.2). The Desire and Acclaim are targeted to upgrade later this month, but may be pushed to January due to technical issues we're resolving with HTC and Samsung. The Mesmerize and Apex will receive Froyo shortly after. We truly appreciate your patience, and we'll let you know the moment we have additional info!
  10. dillon_mitch

dillon_mitch New Member

From what they posted on facebook the samsung mesmorize and the samsung acclaim should be updated close to the end of the year til about the middle of january. all other phones will be upgraded shortly after. My opinion is this update is WAY behind! some of the other carriers are already updating to the 2.3 gingerbread!
  11. LoRes2101

LoRes2101 Member

US Cellular is pretty ridiculous with stuff like this, and it's quite frustrating... They are always REALLY slow. I remember blackberry had a lot of similar issues all the time. Also they're usually behind in physical phone choices, too.

Reading through the post it was supposed to come in October, then they keep pushing it back because of some stupid thing? I wish they'd release a beta version of it for people like us who are desperately aware and waiting to 1) help speed up the full release and 2) keep us who are waiting happy. It always seems to be rumored to come out in may, then that gets to june. Official word says October but when that gets close, they say "Definitely in november, but just to be safe, maybe the first couple weeks in december" then they tell us how something happened and it'll be here in January, and then it's released in February.
  12. foxshadow

foxshadow New Member

13. krusej23

krusej23 Member

Do you have to take the phone into a store to get it updated when it finally comes out or will it be an over the air update that I can do on the phone myself?
  14. USCellularAndroid

USCellularAndroid Well-Known Member

No one knows (for sure) on how the update will take place. I am assuming it will be down over the "air waves" or from a home computer. It would be CRAZY for everyone with an Android phone to come into a store for an update.

As far as I know, the Acclaim will have 2.2 VERY soon. I heard rumors by the end of January...
  15. aj444

aj444 Member

I've been hearing VERY soon since october, so I'm not really trusting any date untill I see the release.
  16. krusej23

krusej23 Member

Agreed
  17. eaddict

eaddict New Member

Ah, but of what year?
  18. NacsMXer

NacsMXer Member

Quoted from US Cellular's Facebook page:

U.S. Cellular

We're working with Samsung, HTC and LG to provide Froyo (Android 2.2) upgrades for all of our Android-powered phones. The Acclaim upgrade will be available by the end of next week, and customers with the Desire will be able to upgrade their device by the end of this month. The Apex and Mesmerize will be ready for upgrades around March. Download details coming next week. Thanks for your patience.
  19. fatphatboy88

fatphatboy88 Member

Im with aj444, Im not gonna believe it till I see it. I have been hearing very soon since oct. I was even told by a store manager that they were told mid december at the absolute latest.
  20. tecsironman

tecsironman Member

21. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

Just spoke with US Cellular. The 2.2 update will be done OTA, no later than Jan 15. A massive "blast" will take place and the update will be done automatically. Your phone will receive a message regarding the update. It may mean that apps and programs will need to be reinstalled, etc., so backup your phone. Does not matter whether your phone is roaming or in home area. Call US Cellular 611 for more info.
  22. krusej23

krusej23 Member

What's the easiest way to backup your phone to a Mac?
  23. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

Don't know. My contacts are backup with US Cellular "My Contacts Backup." Anything that you downloaded from the Android Market will be in your "My Market" or whatever it is called in the Android version.
  24. krusej23

krusej23 Member

So I can see exactly what I downloaded and installed previously?
  25. cwill0303

cwill0303 Well-Known Member

Everything you PAID for will be shown in the market. I do not believe anything will be in there that you downloaded for free. That is if the update clears everything, which it probably will, but I dont know for sure.