Samsung Apps - what is the point?

Last Updated:

1. What exactly is the point of the Samsung App store when there is Google Play? Samsung device specific apps? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

I have no idea, though I did get some paid apps free from Samsung's app store. Random promotions I stumble upon from time to time.

Some apps that were free included Guns'n'Glory, Asteroid 2012 3D, TouchRetouch, Star Chart, etc. Some were bad, some were good. But they were offered for free, so why not?
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Samsung App Store exists because of Bada OS, their own proprietary OS, then they expanded it to include Android. This is where they release either Samsung specific apps or promos. For example, as stated above, some games/apps can be had for free. I got Dead Space for free from there. Other times there are discounted prices when compared to those on the Play Store.
  4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

The real point of any app store is to make money. If you but an app in Samsung's app store Samsung makes money. If you buy an app in the Play Store, Samsung doesn't make any money.
  5. barwink

barwink Active Member

Exactly - to be more specific -
    Samsung can make $ in 3 ways with their new app store:

1) Charging a percentage of the paid apps income.

2) Promoting free apps is a big business - some free apps have a high user value (dating, gambling, social games etc) and the developers are willing to pay $1 for a US install easy. This might not be the case yet with Samsung but other app stores like Appbrain, 1mobile and task apps like Appredeem and ********** make a living promoting free apps.

3) Promoting samsung Bada and generally showing Samsung's connection with the app world - as a company that is not only making devices, but is also well established in the user's mobile experience side.

Take the amazon app store for example, a user that is downloading apps from the Amazon app might also go there to buy anything mobile - a win win for Amazon...

Kapish!? :)
  6. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

I guess we're more fortunate as we have a choice as to where to get our apps from. Unlike the fruit. That's what I liked about Windows Mobile and Palm OS. We can buy some apps directly from the developer and show 100% support with no fees to the distributors.
  7. korrupTed

korrupTed Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed with downloads from the Samsung store is that updates were a wreck. I had angry birds from them, and after the update, all my data was gone. If you download an app that is also on the Play store, sometimes it messes up and gets updated by the play store instead of the samsung store. I wonder if they have fixed that by now..
  8. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

my data usage for Samsung App Store is a few MB but i never used it to download apps, are there pre-installed samsung apps on the galaxy s3 that maybe i updated causing this data usage?

disregard, i remember now the first time i opened the Samsung App Store it asked me to update the store that must be where the data used came from
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The Samsung Apps is also used for Samsung Dive.

Go to the website (Google it) and you can use the site to track your phone's location, mobile wipe, view your missed calls and messages, etc.
  10. Paradroid90

Paradroid90 Well-Known Member

Prices vary between the two, so make sure to compare.
    E.g N7player is cheaper via Samsung store.
  11. SandMulls

SandMulls New Member

I do agree with Paradroid. Price is one factor that I always consider whenever I would buy Apps. There are those that you can get at a much lower price from Samsung store, but there are also those that are sold at a much higher price. I'm quite stingy so I buy apps from any store that offers them at a low price.