• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung captivate and Android for dummies?

i just got a samsung captivate from rogers on a three year term and was wondering about all of these terms i keep seeing?
1) what is a SDK?
2)what is rooting and is it safe?
3)if i do root it how ard would it be to update to 2.2?

in addition to this i just found out about samsungs poor preformance with regards to updates. when the time comes where my phone is no longer supported will rooting be my only otion for updates?

1) Software Development Kit - basically a bunch of frameworks for developers to use in making their own Android applications. Requires some basic knowledge of Java for Android app development. There are other methods as well.
2) In a sense, it's similar to Jailbreaking an iPhone/iPod touch. Gives you complete control of everything on your phone, allowing you two install anything and everything you need to. root is generally a term used to describe the admin on any account: web servers, linux OS, forums [user 1 on this forum is the root user, with full access to everything, for example].
3) No idea on this one, but I'd assume it's easy and would require you to re-root it after the update. Anyone else, feel free to disprove this.

Upvote 0
my worry is what happens after froyo, will i still be supported or will i have to root my phone and figure out how to install stock android after this if samsung stops supporting my phone. (although it does have the 1ghz processor rumored to be required for 2.3 and up.)
stock android will not be available with any update from samsung or att, the only way to get it i am aware of was through cognition 2.4 but there were problems with it so he removed it and went back to touchwiz.

updating to 2.2 is pretty easy at this point, but you do need to be rooted. installing the froyo based cognition builds will give you froyo, it also comes rooted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones