Samsung Captivate Glide problemSupport

1. replicants

replicants New Member

My friend bought an unlocked capitave glide off someone through craigslist. I'm guessing he used T-Mobile with it? Anyway, the phone is for AT&T and my friend's SIM is AT&T. For some unknown reason her internet isn't working. She gets grey bars but that's it. She could text and call but no internet. She tried doing a hard reset and nothing.

Is there anyway to fix this? Thank you!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum replicants and thanks for joining.

It sounds like the apn settings need to be added in settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks, access point names.
    Try these ones
    Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: leave blank
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80 MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN Type: leave blank

I'm not 100% sure on the settings so will move the thread over to the captivate forum as someone else may know of some better ones.
  3. mjrei

mjrei New Member

I first got my Captivate Glide brand new, off-contract from AT&T. I paid full price for it thinking I could use a T-Mobile sim card in it. Due to limitations with TM's 3G/4G in my town I opted to instead use a prepaid AT&T plan/sim. The AT&T rep said it would work since AT&T offered prepaid with some of their smartphones. - WRONG!

Like your friend I could only get talk and text, even though I had added data to my AT&T prepaid plan/sim. The AT&T rep literally spent two days on the phone with cust service trying to get my data to work - which it never did. Apparently AT&T uses different towers for their prepaid service and those towers are lower priority and more sparse than the premium towers. So depending on where you were in relation to the prepaid towers the data would work (albeit poorly) at times - if close - or not at all - if far. The prepaid towers are apparently few and far between compared to AT&T's standard towers. (Actually my data did work for about 1/2 a day, then the one and only AT&T prepaid tower in my area went down which accounts for the sudden interruption and end of data on my brand new CaptGlide.) This all sounded plausible given my 1/2 day with data working and subsequent 2 days without data working at all. Long story but this is how I had the exact same problem with my Captivate Glide as your friend.

I opted to just get a standard (more expensive) AT&T account for now to make the data issue go away. Captivate Glide works famously now and so does the data. So maybe their issue is that they're using a prepaid AT&T plan/sim. If they're using a regular AT&T account and sim and have data then my verbose experience probably won't help you.

Good luck.