• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Captivate Havoc

KaiM88

Lurker
Sep 14, 2012
Hopefully this si the correct forum. If not please let me know where to go.

Let me preface this with : I am not super tech savvy anymore. I used to be, but given decent directions I am ok.

Also I cannot switch carriers ( I live on top of a mountain and the only towers are ATT lest I drive a half an hour into town whenever I need to use my phone)
My phones 1 year warranty expired last month, but I am stuck with this paper weight until march or when my husband upgrades (his HTC has issues as well but that is a different post alltogether)
I have called, screamed at, threatened and camped out in our local store, and ATT its self about the phone not being able to update from froyo or ever working correctly for the last year and have been told to just 'deal' with it.

I don't want to just 'deal with it' anymore. I lost my top two weeks ago after being side swiped by a drunk driver and not being able to call my husband because my phone won't work!

The bad:
-I have the original Captivate (sgh-I897) running android 2.2 (Froyo?) We have never been able to update either through the phone or even the tech geeks at the store to gingerbread or ics or anything else available.
-GPS has never worked- ever. If the GPS was my navigator and it was life or death I'm pretty sure I would find my self in Deliverance-ville instead of my local destination.
-the phone is slow, crashes, updates oodles of messages from weeks ago randomly and for reasons beyond this mere mortal.
-if I am lucky I can make calls, but about 50% of the time it gets stuck on the dialer screen.

What I (in my limited knowledge) have done:
Reset (both volume keys and the power button) manually
Factory reset
Banged my head against the wall *(More results gained from that then anything else..)

What I want to do:
Make it work! If I cannot... burn it. Seriously.
In my happiest of fluffy unicorn dreams I would love to run icecream on it (love it on the tablets) and trundle through until I can move on to the HTC one. This would be the best case scenario as my husbands phone looks like the dogs and baby had their way with it and has its own special problems I am afraid to deal with.

Can someone help me before this phone joins the rest of the garbage in my burn pile?

~k

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones