• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung captivate "USB device not recognized"

so my phone was working fine up untill i did the update

now i plug my phone in and it says
"USB Device not recognized"
clicked on the message and the pic is what it said

wtffff

its on 2 different computers too

tried un and reinstalling Kies, Drivers, Re-started,

anyone have any ideas?!?!?!?

heres the video too see what it said too
YouTube - Samsung captivate device not recognized

(may still be processing)

plz help!!!

Justin

Attachments

• USB NOT rec.JPG
    USB NOT rec.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 58
I had this issue yesterday and after much searching found two possible solutions. USB is powered by a tiny chip on your mobo or phone. They can get corrupted temporarily if the plug is slightly misaligned and the power goes where it shouldnt.

It's a dead simple solution that might save quite a few people hours of frustration.

If its on the pc end, turn off the computer, unplug it and leave it a few seconds to make sure the mobo is not getting any standby power. When the computer is switched off normally there's still a small amount of power going through the motherboard.

If it's on the computer side you can tell by plugging in an external USB storage device, that will also have the USB device error, same as your phone did.

If thats not the problem, then the problem is with the phone. The captivate is easy to open and remove the battery. So do that wait a few seconds and replace the battery, plug it into the USB and there's a good chance it will be recognized and work normally again.

Upvote 0
Amazingly, I updated one of my Captivates through my laptop today to from 2.2 Froyo to Gingerbread 2.3 and it was a breeze. Worked just like the directions said. I have been attempting to update our 2nd Captivate for about 5 hours now. I've tried everything I could find on the Internet, different computers, different ports, different cords, different settings on the phone, with Kies, without Kies, windows 7 says it still does not recognize it as a USB device. The phone was just restored back to factory settings today because we were locked out of it because of the stupid swipe security stuff and it would not accept our google log in. So should I toss this phone or continue wasting my days on it, had it for 6 months or so, but I'm getting tired of working on something that should be a breeze like my first one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones