9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Sony Xperia X10

1 vote(s)
    10.0%

Last Updated:

1. Glucklichste

Glucklichste Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am stuck with AT&T for service. I want to be able to call (duh, but ... yes, I do care about signal strength, decent call quality, speaker use, bluetooth), check reviews, look up a website, get directions w/o AT&T's monthly fee, take casual pics/video for sharing, play music, occasionally watch video, use a kindle app, etc.

I've decided to go with an Android phone, I've never owned any Apple device (and the iPhone just doesn't do it for me), and the WP7 falls flat for me too (love the responsiveness, but it's too simple + I disliked a few things). I just felt Android was more my style.

Samsung Captivate and Sony Xperia X10 are at the top of my list. I am really leaning towards the Captivate, but the better camera of Sony is enticing, plus the large screen and all make it a similar choice on paper.

I'm still torn on which would perform better overall for me. Since it's an android forum, can any of you weigh in? (Esp. if you can comment on 'real world' battery life comparison, and updates/support of Sony vs Samsung? I'm seeing complaints about both, but at least Captivate is newer so it might be less of a dinosaur by the time this contract would allow another cheap upgrade in the future?)

Advertisement
  2. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

I'd go captivate... And c'mon people give this guy a hand! All you have to do is click your mouse once to vote in a poll.

3. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat in deciding whether to get the Captivate or X10. I went with the Captivate and love it. There were some GPS issues (by issues I mean it didn't work, period). But after the update, mine works perfectly fine now.

4. lfaulkner29

lfaulkner29 Member

I am not familar with the Sony, but I own a captivate and really like it. This is my first smartphone so im not good with all the technology stuff but here are a couple small issues i have with my phone. 1. There is no flash for camera. 2. I had the problem with it shutting off during sleep mode, but installed "Captivate Keep Alive" app and haven't had the problem since. 3. Hard to hear on speaker phone. I don't have any problems hearing with the phone to my ear, but on speaker phone the phone is not that loud.

That is really about it at this point. I have owned it for about two months and if anything else comes up i will let you know.

5. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Well-Known Member

Isn't the Experia still running on 1.6, upgradeable to 2.1? Sorry you have to stay with ATT, god I hate them. Voted for the Captivate. Galaxy S is great, even without froyo (yet).

6. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member

First, some disclaimers: I just got a captivate a couple weeks ago, so I'm still new to it. I haven't had any hands-on experience with the Xperia.

Having said that, and just looking at the dimensions, the Sony is a full half inch taller than the Captivate, which is near the maximum height/width that I would feel comfortable with. The Captivate screen is large enough for me, not to mention a great clear display. I don't feel like I'm holding a paperback book up to my ear when I'm on the phone. I'm moving from a flip phone and separate Windows Mobile PDA (Dell Axim). So far, the Captivate does everything I was able to do with WinMo, including sync with Exchange email, calendar, and contacts. The Captivate comes preloaded with the full version of QuickOffice.

As I said, I can't really do a comparison, but I'm happy with the Captivate. In a few attempts to test the GPS receiver, I was able to get a lock using the free GPS test app. Haven't tried Google Maps with directions yet, but at least it was able to lock on to the satellite network and determine my position. My phone must have come with the software update that fixed the GPS problems that seems to have plagued earlier adopters. More than one iPhone user has said it compares favorably with the iPhone 4, with the exception of a second camera lens for FaceTime.

I'm not an unbiased voter, but I'll vote for the Captivate anyway.

7. Glucklichste

deputc26- Girl, but thanks! I really did want some input, I was sitting with both open in the Amazon Market and just couldn't quite decide. I figured an android specific forum seemed like the best place. At least here I won't (likely) get "neither! don't get an android, get an iPhone" replies.

marefin - Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone say their gps works, I have read so much about how awful it is. :/ Admittedly, I'd love it to work, on vacations it would be so handy, and even around here sometimes to get directions.

lfaulkner29 - Thanks for the comments! While I am decent with technology, this is my first real smartphone. In school I just couldn't swing the increase in plan plus data this would bring me (I was on a old very cheap plan).

mrsbelpit - Me too! The other good coverage provider up here in Alaska insists you have a $40 unlimited data plan. Great that it is unlimited, but $40 vs $15-25, I just have to stick with AT&T for a while. I was trying to figure out the X10 Android situation, I read a few placed it had updated to 2.1, but it seems on the specific forum here that it has not (officially, anyway). That definitely makes me think maybe Samsung will have better updates.

chocophile - Size worries me, I admit - coming from a non-smartphone especially, they're all HUGE next to mine. I do like the 4" screen though, next to the iPhone for example it seems not that much bigger but with the bonus of more screen, so I figure I could get used to it if I never hear complaints about iPhone's size. Thanks for also pointing out QuickOffice, somehow I missed that but that's an appealing feature to come with the phone.

8. zaftxx

zaftxx Member

Wait until early next year, att is getting the motororla Olympia. If you can't wait go for the captivate.

9. Glucklichste

I am officially a Captivate owner!

zaftxx - Nope, unfortunately I can not. My phone is falling apart, and AT&T was going to shut off my service by the end of Dec. if I didn't get a new phone + contract.

10. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

Congrats!