• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Dart T499 Rooted

I got this thing rooted with superoneclick for Galaxy S.

I will post link to rooting tool and a guide after work over the next few days.

I am working on a rom dump as well, I was hopeing to compile a bit of info on this phone.

Nice! I've been waiting for this. Did you get your phone after seeing it for $100 at slickdeals.net?

I absolutely love this phone, it's so light & small in the pocket yet full featured android, though with suck screen. I don't use my Galaxy S GTi9000m anymore, can't wait for root.

Upvote 0
i know that most mini ROMs arent cross compatible with the Samsung T-499(galaxy mini rebranded by T-mobile) but is there any work-around to get this compatible with the Dart? by flashing the beta here i did get it to boot, though i had no service from T-mobile and upon attempting to shut down the phone it simply rebooted continuously. the dart is surprisingly unsupported when it comes to anything regarding Roms and such, and i was wondering if we could change this. im not much of a developer but id be willing to help out any way needed to change this. i was considering starting a thread just for the dart to see what i could come up with.

edit: the thread I started for the dart can be located here

Upvote 0
I'm a newbie smartphone user, and never tweaked/hacked our 3g phones. Since helpful info was spread across a few different places, I made myself a mini-tutorial with links to help me get through the rooting of my Dart phone, then added comments as I went through the rooting.

Not sure if it matters, but I haven't setup any cellphone plans on it yet - so far I've only connected via wifi (at home, not in public). So all of this was done via WiFi only.

1. DL'd SuperOneClick onto PC desktop from:
SuperOneClick | shortfuse.org
(scroll past big screenshot - SuperOneClick "requires .Net Framework 2.0 or higher to operate", extract zip to desktop, and make sure to be in Admin mode on laptop/PC when running SuperOneClick)

2. Loaded this tutorial on laptop:
Root Any Android Device And Samsung Captivate With Super One-Click App

- Step 2 has us connect our phone to our pc via USB cable - Windows had to look up and install drivers for the USB-to-Android connection, since I hadn't connected Dart to my laptop yet - it took a few minutes to install the handful of drivers.

- Step 3 of tutorial has us enable USB Debugging on our Dart - here's a pictorial of how to enable USB Debugging on the Android:
How to Enable Usb Debugging Android Mobile | Geekprison.com iOS, Android,Jailbreaking

- Step 5 does not apply to Dart phones, skip to step 6 - After clicking Root button, lotsa techie/code stuff scrolls by for a few minutes, asks if I want BUSYBOX - say YES because later on a Root-App complained about me not having it (which was fixed by rebooting). Finally, SuperOneClick tells me it's done, do I want to test it, sure - the result: OK (but I forgot to do step 7, which is "Allow Non Market Apps" button in SuperOneCLick, which might have contributed to some minor problems later - anyway I'm reloading SuperOneClick to do that button, just in case).

So I guess I'm rooted now? YES!! There's a SUPERUSER Icon in my apps menu, yay?

---
PS: This is where I should have rebooted my Dart - had the tutorial told me to LOL, but it still worked out.
---

I install my first app-that-requires-root: Titanium Backup. Once DL'd and installed, Titanium BU is asking for root rights - OMG it failed, saying I don't have BusyBox (which I said yes to during SuperOneClick).

Well maybe "rebooting" might help? I power-down, restart, NOW Titanium Backup is working.

Now Titanium Backup is warning me that "your ROM is rooted but the "su" binary has non-optimal access rights, which may cause problems...Titanium BU can fix this problem autmatically in many cases. Do you want to proceed?

Well sure, now I have to reboot again (at least Titanium Backup tells me to LOL)

Restarted 2nd time, backed up a few apps I did stuff with. So it seems all is going well.

Now trying another root-required-app Adfree, no complaints about SuperUser permissions, whew! It seems I'm properly rooted finally.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones