Samsung Dock not seen as a dock by any app other than the Samsung Desk/Home App

Last Updated:

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got the Samsung Desk Dock for easy re-charging and using phone on nightstand.

If I use the Samsung Desk Home app from the market, that app automatically detects that the phone is in the dock and runs the app.

However, no other app is able to detect that the phone is docked, even with the Desk/Home app uninstalled (i.e. not the default).

My understanding is that the phone should send a signal to Android if the device is being docked. Then Android sends a broadcast to all apps that the device has been docked.

I have tested with two different apps which are designed to run upon the phone being docked and neither detects the phone being docked.

Without the Samsung dock app loaded, there is no change when the phone is docked. It seems like only the Samsung app is capable of detecting docking.

Am I missing something? How can I get the Epic to send out the "normal" signal to other apps upon being docked?

Advertisement
  2. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

This is a good question. I haven't seen anyone ask this. I would also be interested in an answer to this. Maybe the apps are missing something? It apparently sends something out.

3. albersweb

albersweb New Member

Just got the Epic 4 and the dock and did a search on Samsung Desk Dock, or, Samsung Home Desk and various combinations. The market does not know these words and no app shows up for me to download.

Any suggestions?

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My first suggestion is to forget about Samsung Desk Dock and get "Gentle Alarm" which is 1000 times better.

But to answer your question, search for "desk home samsung" and you will find it, assuming that you are searching on a the Epic (or other 2.1 phone). I just tried it for you and confirmed that it is there.

5. sussed it

sussed it New Member

Samsung tech dept informed me that the desktop dock is not meant for the UK market - what it's in English!!

Having been fumbling around for many a night, as not had a real toy before - trying to get to grips with a kernel and a froyo - finally sorted it.

Samsung kies updated new firmware to 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD.XXJVO
    KERNEL 2.6.35.7-I9000XXJVO-CL182937se.infra@SEP-51#2

came across an app - Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector - xcaliburinhand in Android Market - works perfectly sound is redirected to external speaker/headphone and everything functions as excpected in landscape

6. digitool

digitool Well-Known Member

I'm just going to offer some caution. I have 2 docks, one at home on my nightstand and one at work on my desk. Neither get use anymore. They worked great.... but now my screen has burn-in... so be careful of anything that keeps your screen awake indefinitely, because SuperAMOLEDs will burn in.

abrahan likes this.
  7. stickee

stickee Member

I really wanted a dock, but after the burn in comment above, maybe not so much anymore

8. gregms

gregms Member

I use Alarm clock Plus which has the time move every minute to prevent burn-in. I've been using it for a while and haven't had any problem. I would avoid any time app that doesn't move or burn-in can happen.
    -Greg