Samsung Epic 4G Review

Last Updated:

1. wrkivan

wrkivan New Member This Topic's Starter

The Samsung Epic 4G is an odd-feeling phone, but once you got used to it you love it. It does what the EVO 4G doesn’t, most notably giving the user a hardware keyboard. :p

Advertisement
  2. shook187

shook187 Well-Known Member

"Odd feeling" is right. I had slider phones before but this one doesn't feel good in my hands. But I have to say I love the phone.

3. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The keyboard is the one thing about the Epic that my wife is beginning to regret having, because she never uses it. I think at this point, if she could trade for a captivate/fascinate format, she would jump at the chance. I've been a keyboard guy since leaving wm pda's behind (6700, Mogul, Touch Pro, Moment) and now that I have the Evo w/swype, I don't miss it much at all. I would say the most notable differences from the Evo are the stunning screen and the GPU power. I really like what Samsung did with the notification bar too.

4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I'm typing this post using the epic keypad... I'm loving it actually. I can tyoe fairly fast and its so comfortable for me personally. Even moreso than the moment and I liked that on. Obviously everyone is different. My sister has smaller hands than me and I see her typing on her epic keybard more than I do lol (side note).

No regrets for this guy. Feels great in my hands.

5. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

The spring loaded keyboard was the dealbreaker for me.

I am glad that many of you like the phone. I like Samsung very much and don't want them to get too discouraged.

6. Thai

Thai Banned

That's funny...you being on this forum and posting a comment like that is even funnier!

Don't worry, Samsung is big enough to be OK despite all the EVO (current and former) customers....

I like the keyboard very much....

7. RIDEamountain

RIDEamountain Member

You guys are right about the slightly odd feeling to the phone...I think it would feel better if it were a bit more square off. The rounded edges and corners I think contribute to this feeling.

As for the keyboard...it was one of the reasons I went for this phone. While I love it and use it a fair bit...I never expected Swype to be so useful.

Overall....there is no other phone on the market I wish I had bought. I'm a happy man!

RIDE

8. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I was going to snag an Epic when I heard about it but after playing with its keyboard at the Sprint store I knew it wasnt for me, I went with the Evo and have no regrets, I can type faster at this point with an on-screen keyboard moreso than a physical keyboard.

All of this is typed on my Evo as well pretty effortlessly using the full site.

9. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

I've almost given up using the keyboard and Swype, now that I've discovered how well the voice to text function works. Especially for short text messages.

10. MAKOKILLER

MAKOKILLER Well-Known Member

I'm with g m e the voice to text works great. I just used it for this post.

11. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

Ironically, the one person in my household (my wife) who didn't really want a keyboard is probably getting the most use out of it. Okay, I suppose my daughter might be the winner there, but my wife seems to have changed her mind about the keyboard and now appreciates having it for certain things.

I don't find the phone odd-feeling at all. I think it feels nice and weighty, and it slides into my work pants pocket really well without feeling too bulky. This is easily the best and most professional-looking phone I have owned.

Tarekh123 likes this.
  12. batgeek

batgeek Banned

same here.

13. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

Love the slider keyboard and use it every day.
    I hate the on screen board and I havent gone though the learning period with Swype.
    Im not the greatest typist,and you need to know where the letters are located to swype them .
    If I could see through my finger I could read the onscreen keyboard.
    If I try to peck letters one by one I rarely hit the little onscreen letter on the first or even second try.
    I dont care .The slider keyboard is great.

14. Thai

Thai Banned

For me, i surf forums and am a neophyte texter...i love the ability to see the previous response/post when i am typing a response...you can't do that with any phone without a physical keyboard!