• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Epic 4g Touch Red tinted screen/ touch screen not responding.

Hello all. It seems I have dug myself into an issue with my phone. Now I am not under warranty or anything so I am looking to do all of the dirty work myself. Well first off I suppose i'll start with how I messed up.

So here I am at work, bussing tables and whatnot, today being sunday and working at Ihop was extremely busy. I get word that I will have to find another ride home after my shift. Ihop now has a strict no phone policy so I quickly reach into my pocket and to my horror my battery was at 7%. I promptly turn off the power. About a minute later I hear the all familiar sound of my phone turning back on, it does this quite frequently, turning itself back on upon shut down. Annoyed, and not wanting to get written up for using my cell phone I quickly remove the battery without shutting it down and shove it into my pocket.

Now my shift has ended and I am standing in the lobby ready to call for my ride, I stick my ignorant and clueless little hands into my pocket and piece my phone back together. I turn it on...I see nothing, however I hear the sound that it makes when it turns on, that annoying little jingle, but nothing on the screen. I press the lock screen a couple of times and I can hear the click noise it makes, and I could even use the touch screen at this point. I go at this for about two minutes and suddenly my screen turned on and it was working fine! However at only 3% battery, so I quickly called my ride and soon after that the battery died out.

Upon arriving home I put my phone on the charger and walked away, believing everything was fine. Ten minutes later I checked it and once again the screen was black, nothing on it. However the red light was on that signified it was charging. I turned it on and again I can hear that intro jingle yet see nothing on my screen, this time I could not use the touch screen at all however. I removed the battery and let it sit for about 30 minutes and tried again.

This time the screen turned on...however everything was red! Like... you see the plain old charging image you usually see, but the background is red instead of black and everything has a red tint on it. I turn it on and I can get to my home screen but cannot unlock it due to having to swipe. The touch screen is completely non responsive.

I can still use the Home. settings and back buttons so I managed to take a screenshot. I will post it as soon as I can.

I have yet to try a factory restore, in the middle of fully charging my battey. Once i do I will be trying a factory restore.
I really do not think I harmed the touch screen or anything as I was using it ten minutes before things went awry. Could this be a battery issue caused by my really hard reset of the phone (via removal of battery). Could this be a loose connection in the phone, maybe I should take it apart and push some wires?
Or maybe a factory reset will fix this.

Has anybody ever experienced this?? Because I have searched every android forum and nothing like this has ever come up.

I have an infuse 4, which is similar to my galaxy s2 4g touch. i disassembled it because I wanted to resolder the USB port so I can root it. When I reassembled it, the screen color was distorted. so, taking it apart again...

I found it was a ribbon that got caught in the housing and came partially disconnected from the board.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones