• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung epic, cricket flash, & wifi-tether help?

Sigkill-9

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Hi all, I'm buying a samsung epic 4g and want to get it flashed to my cricket account and I have some questions about wifi-tethering and mms.

First, I am new to the android world so please forgive my ignorance in advance.

Id like to enable the free wifi-tether option on my epic so I can connect my laptop to the Internet via the phones wifi-hotspot capability.

I'd also like to enable MMS messaging as I've heard others have done with their epic and cricket, but have no idea how to do this. How is this done? Its not a big deal really, but would be nice to have it working none the less.

I will have cricket flash the phone in-store, but my question is; in what order (if any) should I root the phone, enable wifi-tether, and flash to cricket?

My concern is that I'll mess up the cricket flash by rooting the phone and enabling the free wifi-tether.
Also concerned that if I root and enable wifi first, that the cricket flash would mess up the wifi-tether...

I'm just too unfamiliar with how it all works so any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, I am a coder and have fairly decent knowledge of high-end programming so understanding the code and technical details shouldn't be an issue.

Also, is there any difference in the flashing/wifi process between the android 2.1 and 2.2 O/S?

Thanx in advance! :D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones