• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Fascinate

D

Deleted User

I've started to eMail Verizon customer service DAILY asking for a status on the Fascinate. I'm with AT&T and I just waiting on them to release the Fascinate.

I thought I'd post my plans here, perhaps if enough of us remind them on a daily basis they will go ahead and release it already!

The Droid X is tempting, but I'm waiting on the Super Amoled screen and smaller size, thinner, lighter, etc. Sure, the larger screen on the X is nice, but I like the overall package of the Samsung. I was able to get some hands on time with a working unit at a T-Mobile reseller recently.

I wonder why Verizon just didn't call the Samsung a Droid of some type, they have the HTC Droid Incredible and the Motorola Droid (and X) so it doesn't appear one vendor had rights to the Droid name.

I don't think they need to be reminded to bring out the phone, they're going with the timeline that makes the most business sense, just be patient. And George Lucas owns "Droid" so Samsung might not have wanted to pay him to name their phone.

It is Verizon that licences the name from Lucas. And to date they have named every phone they have released on the android line with the name. Samsung balked at it since they are running their own commercials on the "S" line. And probably thought it would cause too much confusion to have it called the Droid "whatever" and then advertise it as the "S" series.
The other option is that Verizon said no way we are going to pay the licence fee for a phone that is not an exclusive on our network.
And the second option is the one I think is more likely.

I agree that they are doing it on a timeline that makes sense. They already had the X and the 2 lined up and are exclusive devices. So Samsung comes along with a phone they are selling to anyone and everyone that will take it. It just make sense you push the date for those phones that are exclusive while you have the exclusivity.

Upvote 0
Take it for what its worth.

I have been waiting for Verizon Wireless to come out with a good touch screen phone to replace my BlackBerry Storm (which is still a good phone, but outdated technology-wise). Since I heard about all the new Android phones that VzW is carrying now, I went to the local store to check them out.

I played with the Incredible and X for 20 minutes. The Incredible is smaller (or should I say "skinnier"?) than I thought. Also I noticed many of the apps on the Incredible cannot be used in landscape which is a show-stopper to me. I use my phone primarily in landscape mode. So the X seems to be better in that regard. But I am still very skeptical about Motorola as the manufacturer of the phone.

Then when I talked to the sales rep, I have found that my NE2 won't be up until October. He told me that I should wait till then and the Galaxy S should be out by then, and I can get an extra $100 off for the device.

So it probably won't be long. I probably will wait for this device instead of taking the Incredible or the X. :D

Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
Wow, this is when we know it's getting ridiculous.

+1

I can hear the giggles in the meetings now. :D

Meanwhile..

samsung-fascinate.jpg

Just to drool over... I guess.

Upvote 0
Verizon doesn't owe us anything, however we have a right to let them know what we want. What we don't want is a bunch of Motorola shoved down our throats.

What happened to the customer is always right?

The latest word is an October release, still unofficial though. The Droid 2 R2D2 will be released at the end of September, so apparently Verizon doesn't want the Fascinate to take away sales from that Motorola either.

After today's news, I reserved the Samsung Epic 4G on SPRINT which will be out on August 31st. Unless Verizon announces a release date soon, they will be losing this Family plan. I have a road trip planned for Sept. 23rd and I want a new phone before this trip. AT&T/T-Mobile have had their versions out for over a month now. In the meantime, Verizon still can't keep the DroidX in stock, so they could release the Fascinate to give people some options, but no they would only do that if it was another Motorola.

The Droid 2 R2D2 is kind of neat, kind of not. If it was releasing sooner, and had just ANDROID on it, as the original Droid had, I might consider it. I might consider a DroidX now, if I could get one. The Samsung Galaxy S is truly what I want though, just for the better screen.

Upvote 0
It is Verizon that licences the name from Lucas. And to date they have named every phone they have released on the android line with the name.

Actually that's not quite right. Only their higher end android phones have gotten the "Droid" branding. The Motorola Devour and LG Ally do not have "Droid" branding. There are rumored to be a couple more lower to midrange android phones coming out on verizon (one from HTC) and if they keep their current model, they will not be part of the "Droid" line.

It get's a little confusing as there are three things droid can refer to. First, it can mean Verizon's top line of android phones (Moto's, Htc's, etc.) Second, it can refer to Motorola model line of phones on Verizon (Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, and the upcoming Droid Pro). Third, it can be a slang term (shortened like a nickname) for android.

Btw, the Fascinate could very well release with "Droid" branding. When the Incredible released (got mine the day before release as I preordered) the origianl packaging did not have any "Droid" branding at all. It simply says HTC Incredible on the box, no mention of "Droid" anywhere on it. A short while after it's release, Verizon decided to rebrand it as the HTC Droid Incredible, with a "Droid" style box (black/gray with a red Droid eye) instead of the off white box (mine) like you get with every other Verizon phone lately. The "Droid" style box started shipping out after they had cleared out all of the off white boxes.

So it's very possible that it will be the Samsung Droid Fascinate as there will probably be nothing referring to the Galaxy S. Unless it says something like "Part of the Galaxy S line" on the box as each carrier has renamed it (T-Mobile Vibrant, AT&T Captivate, Sprint Epic 4G, Verizon Fascinate).

Upvote 0
....So it's very possible that it will be the Samsung Droid Fascinate as there will probably be nothing referring to the Galaxy S. Unless it says something like "Part of the Galaxy S line" on the box as each carrier has renamed it (T-Mobile Vibrant, AT&T Captivate, Sprint Epic 4G, Verizon Fascinate).
I sure hope not because I hate long name.

Upvote 0
I sure hope not because I hate long name.

Just do what I do with my phone, an Incredible. I think the only one that you should need to refer to as Droid is the Droid1 & 2, the X if you want to.

Otherwise it's like a woman who has been divorced 3 times, kept her maiden name and all of her ex's last names, it just sounds pretentious and a little ridonkulous.:D

Upvote 0
Verizon doesn't owe us anything, however we have a right to let them know what we want. What we don't want is a bunch of Motorola shoved down our throats.
You certainly have a right to voice your opinion and should do so, but what "we" are you referencing?

I'm not sure that we know for a fact that the delay in the Fascinate's release or the multiple Motorola releases are necessarily all Verizon's decisions. For example, I'm sure that Verizon would like to have had more HTC Incredible's to offer and would probably have less backorder on Droid X if they did. But Samsung squashed that possibility by deciding to not increase production of the displays used in the HTC Incredible in order to focus on the displays for their own phones.

What happened to the customer is always right?
Verizon currently has something like 86.6 million customers, it is impractical to think that they could even try to always be 'right' for every one of them.

Samsung Galaxy S is truly what I want though, just for the better screen.
Then you should wait. I can see why many people are so enamored by the Galaxy S screens, however I work in an industry where we go to great lengths to make visual displays reproduce images as accurately as possible and thus I am not a fan of the Galaxy S displays' oversaturated colors. A simple example of where "better" is a subjective determination. Now if I could have the contrast of the Galaxy S Super AMOLED displays with the color rendition of the Droid X LCD displays and a true 1280x720 resolution for native 720p images then that is a display that I'd consider truly better. Maybe I should start a petition. ;)

Upvote 0
...Now if I could have the contrast of the Galaxy S Super AMOLED displays with the color rendition of the Droid X LCD displays and a true 1280x720 resolution for native 720p images then that is a display that I'd consider truly better. Maybe I should start a petition. ;)
No. You should start hooking up subcontractors in China on this idea. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones