• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung galaxy 2 won't be turned off

I had the same problem but was finding the voicetalk client was loading by itself as if I'd double tapped the home button. power off the device, it would switch itself on again and launch voicetalk. Did a factory reset, still the same. Took it back to the Vodafone store, they did another factory reset...despite me telling them I'd already done this (duh!). Eventually Vodafone agreed to take it in for repair and then said it was the systemboard, which they replaced. No problems since this occurred.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Galaxy SII, and found I could not switch it off. I could hold the button down, clear the warning about the phone being switched off and it would appear to turn off. A few seconds later the lights on the virtual keys would light up and the phone would start up again.
I tried cleaning the USB port and still no joy.
So, I let the phone run down until it shut down by itself, then I removed the battery for 23.6 seconds (LOL!) then reinstalled the battery. It did not start up (good) and plugged the phone into the mains charger until it had finished charging. I turned the phone on, and all was good, and shut the phone down and it stayed off. I tested it several times and it seems ok now.

What must be remembered, is that this is a computer, and it's going to behave differently to the old Nokia 5110 phones!

Mine does exactly the same. It is the worst decision ever buying this phone. that is just one of the problems. The battery lasts 4 hours, Driving Mode and Voice Command turn themselves on, it freezes, answers calls on speaker phone. that is to just name a few!!!!!

Hi grizz1988, I would say you need to check your settings for 'answer calls on speaker phone', there must be an option somewhere. As for the other issue with driving mode and voice command, maybe you are accidently double clicking the 'home' button? And if you battery is lasting 4 hours, maybe you have a fault with the phone? When I tested my phone for the shut down problem (to discharge the battery), I had the WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS turned on all the time, played games and stuff on the phone and it kept going for 44 hours.
For me, this phone is simply the best, yea, it may have issues, but so does everything. It's a computer after all. For every thing this does, it's amazing.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Galaxy SII, and found I could not switch it off. I could hold the button down, clear the warning about the phone being switched off and it would appear to turn off. A few seconds later the lights on the virtual keys would light up and the phone would start up again.
I tried cleaning the USB port and still no joy.
So, I let the phone run down until it shut down by itself, then I removed the battery for 23.6 seconds (LOL!) then reinstalled the battery. It did not start up (good) and plugged the phone into the mains charger until it had finished charging. I turned the phone on, and all was good, and shut the phone down and it stayed off. I tested it several times and it seems ok now.

What must be remembered, is that this is a computer, and it's going to behave differently to the old Nokia 5110 phones!

Hi grizz1988, I would say you need to check your settings for 'answer calls on speaker phone', there must be an option somewhere. As for the other issue with driving mode and voice command, maybe you are accidently double clicking the 'home' button? And if you battery is lasting 4 hours, maybe you have a fault with the phone? When I tested my phone for the shut down problem (to discharge the battery), I had the WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS turned on all the time, played games and stuff on the phone and it kept going for 44 hours.
For me, this phone is simply the best, yea, it may have issues, but so does everything. It's a computer after all. For every thing this does, it's amazing.

If the battery runs out. I am screwed. I plug it into the mains and it tries to turn itselfs on. obviously there is no power in the phone for this, so it goes off. Attempts to charge again and the same process happens over and over.

Driving mode/voice command etc...Got nothing to do with double tapping the home button. I charge it of an evening, wake up and its on. So i doubt i am pressing it in my sleep. There are no settings for answering calls on speaker phone, once driving mode etc enables itself, then the phone continues to answer on speaker phone. Quite embarassing.

I don't have any apps on my phone, deleted them all and started again. Battery life still poor. Phone freezes on multiple occassions.

Upvote 0
Hurrah, it seems I'm not alone. I've had the 'driving mode' issue for a few weeks now - IIRC it started soon after an official s/w upgrade just before Christmas. however, I also rooted my phone (but no changes to ROM's etc) over the vacation, so that may also have something to do with it. The Vlingo software certainly seemed to be causing the phone to start up automatically, irrespective of whether it was 'asleep' or off.

Two nights ago, I had the 'SD card cannot be read' error - the cards and contents are fine (can be read on a variety of Win pcs), so I'll try the 'clean the contacts' option.
Otherwise, it'll be a factory reset and a warranty return.

will let you know how I get on, but very glad I'm not the only one.

I did see some other comments on the Vlingo s/w being hard to remove / turn off - it does seem to have a mind of it's own!
cheers
h.

Upvote 0
actually i am having the same issues accept i don't have calls answering themselves. My battery dies in about 4 hours because the phone constantly loads voice command and MTP and as quickly as i can shut them down they are running again. I was having the issue with the phone turning back on but after selecting usb debug as sugested it seems to be staying off at least

Upvote 0
I too had the same problem last night and took some advice found (buried) in this thread, which completely solved the problem.

Symptom:
My phone was not charging, though the indicator on my phone was telling me that it was charging. In addition, my phone wouldn't stay off when I turned it off. Within seconds of me turning my SGS2 (i777 - at&t) off, it would turn itself back on.

Problem:
On my phone and I suspect other peoples' phones as well, it was the connection between the USB cable and phone, where they both meet at the micro-usb connector. Either the cable, phone or both were dirty and corroded, though that dirt and corrosion wasn't visible.

Solution:
I gently took a toothbrush and q-tip to my phone's usb port and the same thing to the micro end of the cable. While this worked to turn my phone off (when it was disconnected from the cable), it did not help me the charging issue. I wound up buying a new usb-micro cable at the store for $15 and now my phone is back to normal again.

Analysis:
I seemed that both my phone and cable were corroded at the connection where they meet. Some people with this issue may be able to get away with just buying a new cable (or clean their old one properly). Or, simply clean the usb-port on the phone with a toothbrush and slightly modified q-tip. However, it might be wise to clean both the cable and phone because they were both quite intimate and thus likely share the same corrosion or dirt.

--airspoon

Reactions: daviddawkins
Upvote 0
my Samsung S2 will not stay in sleep mode! when I lock it, the lights go back on in about 2-3 sec later. I've tried turning it off, taking out the battery, nothing helps. can anyone help me?
and when I shake my phone, I hear click-click. I've tried holding all the buttons when I shake it, and it still clicks. I've tried holding all the buttons, taking out the battery and Simcard, and it still clicks.. should I go to an electic shop ?

Upvote 0
My symptom was that the phone would not be switched off, as per other people in thread.
Cleaning with a small (clean!) nailbrush worked for me; I could see a little corrosion/dirt after peering in the slot with an LED torch. Gently rubbing from side to side with the nail brush seems to have fixed it. Thanks all you clever people!!

Edit: @Brynhild. sounds like something loose in phone shorting the main button, as you suggest, get it looked at.

Reactions: Brynhild
Upvote 0
hi i dropped my samsung s2 in water yesterday dried it with the hair dryer left it in rice pot over night dried again this morning left in rice again left on radiator for like 2 hours - and then rice again for another 5 hours, everything seems to be working fine but the only problem i am facing is my phone won;t switch off if i pull the battery out and insert it back in the phone switches on itself - is this a problem with the batetry or is my phone crashed need help

Upvote 0
Dear Friends,

I bought this SAMSUNG S2 i9100G around 3 weeks before i dont know what is the problem suddenly my phone is switch off i assumed that maybe i keep in pocket so suddenly the phone has been switch off later when i was in office some times i see the phone suddenly switch off, i am not much familiar of this phone if there is any settings need to be do please let me know friends, as there is currently there is update the version 2.3.6 to 4.0.3 i already updated.

Waiting for your feedbacks,
KK

Upvote 0
WTF? Did you read my earlier posts on this problem? It's a hardware - not software - problem, caused by the USB connection. Installing software will not resolve the problem and will only further inconvenience people.
i am having the same issue, but in addition to that when i turn off i got a sign on the screen of a temperature on the battery. did you have the same issue?
i am having my phone for almost a year now, but it just happened now days.

Upvote 0
my daughter has an LG Optimus, i have a samsung gII.

one night, her phone was charging on the AC and suddenly the screen went white and started blinking on and off, on and off. i couldn't do a thing with it - battery pull didn't help. after doing a bit of research, it seemed the problem was the battery was drained too much (? it was at 3% when i plugged it in) so i plugged the phone into the computer USB charger while i looked it up some more. got sidetracked, played a couple games, and when i looked over, the phone was off. i turned it on and it showed 4% charge and charging, perfectly well behaved.

today, my samsung GII wouldn't shut off - it would shut off, but the moment i plugged in the charger, it turned back on and wouldn't stay off until i unplugged it.

guess what? same charger.

i plugged my phone into the computer USB for charging and it shut off and the battery symbol came up as per normal.

i will, however, take heed of other posts and clean out the USB ports. they've always bothered me, them being wide open like that, but i didn't want to go messing around in case i wrecked something.

oh - and the AC charger is in the bin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones