• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung galaxy ace memory

Hi guys

I am sure that my problem is very common between Galaxy Ace owners. You start installing stuff and then every day it tells you that the memory is full and you are forced to cancel all the apps one by one till you have left only one or two. I constantly cancel messages either on the phone and from What's app and if I take pictures I transferred them to my laptop as soon as I can so how is possible that in the same phone where there was space for 5/6 applications suddenly there is barely the space for two?

I have a 2gb memory card so I thought that the only thing to do was to buy a 8gb or a 16gb.....but then I realised that it wouldn't make any difference, because checking in my settings I found out that while the internal memory is completely full (probably 20m left) the Memory card is almost completely empty...,..... so I thought I just would have moved the applications from the internal storage to the memory card but for unknown reasons I can't (my apps at the moment are whats app, pof, google play and google services) but this usually happened with almost all the applications.

Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks

Giovanni

What Android version are you running? The ability to move parts of apps to SD was introduced in Android 2.2, enhanced slightly in 2.3, and removed in 4.0. Some devices with more recent OS versions can still do it, but only if the manufacturer has added it back. You say that being unable to move the app is true for almost all apps, so I guess you can do it for some, but if not that may be your explanation.

Even where the option existed, not all apps can be moved. System apps (pre-installed) cannot be, but unless they've been updated (which Play Store and Play Services probably have been) they also don't take up any space, as they live in a different partition (their data take space, but moving the app doesn't move the data anyway). User-installed apps can be moved if the OS supports it and the developer allows it. Not all developers do allow it, and since most phones don't have the option any more there is less incentive for developers to support it.

The limited space you have is taken up by apps and their data, including stuff like browser caches. So that's one reason why the amount of space decreases even if you aren't installing stuff. Clearing caches helps temporarily. If some of your apps let you specify where they save their data then you can use that option, but most don't.

To really make a difference to storage you probably have to root the phone (hack it to gain administrator access), then use add-ons like Link2SD to allow you to move apps to a separate partition on a memory card (so you'd need to partition the card as well). If that is the original Ace you have then the problem is that it belongs to a different era, when apps were much smaller and phones came with tiny internal storage. These days even budget devices have 40 times the internal storage the Ace had, and the OS and apps both assume that is the norm (so apps are larger and the system doesn't support moving them to a removable card).

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Not sure if this is the same topic but i have a Samsung GT-18730 and the memory has completely gone. Just came back from holidays and before we went i cleared a load of free space for pictures and videos, the last day of the holiday i got a message saying "Memory level Critical" considering i had 500mb the night before i decided to delete Cache fro most of my apps and deleted a few apps i wasn't using, that freed up a few hundred MB but within 5 minutes the space had gone back to 0, I am home now and just connected my phone up to the laptop to transfer all my pics and videos over to free up space but my phone will not turn on and the laptop is not recognizing the device anymore so i can't even transfer anything off it again. Other than factory reset where losing my pictures and videos is there any other fix for his or has anyone had the same issue with the memory rapid loss??
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones