• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Mega is officially released (11/25)

Excellent price if you want a big phone.

Yeah, which makes just $30 more than laster year released Samsung Galaxy S3 ($399 vs $369)

I appreciate Metro PCS's agressive plan and competitive phone price but I think S3 should get a more disacount than $30. (S4 is farely new one so let's set it aside.. :))

How about S3 with $100 discount making $299??

Upvote 0
I have the connect and it's been doing it's job..must have dropped this phone over a 50 times and it just keeps on ticking. The screen size is killing me tho.

Thing is I have bad eyesight and wear glasses and it's struggle to see on this phone even with glasses.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Mega.

I really wanted the S4 but I just can't see paying that much for a phone . I been waiting for it to come down to maybe $450 or less ,but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Is there any other phone for around the same price ($400) as the Mega with a bigger screen than the S4 ,but is better than the Mega screen resolution ?

I don't know what to do because I know the Mega is going back up in price and have to make a decision.

I live in NYC so I don't think there will be a problem with any signal..well I hope not.

Thanks

PS: I do a lot of surfing and watch movies with my phone during downtime on my job so a bigger screen is really needed with my eyesight.

Upvote 0
I have the connect and it's been doing it's job..must have dropped this phone over a 50 times and it just keeps on ticking. The screen size is killing me tho.

Thing is I have bad eyesight and wear glasses and it's struggle to see on this phone even with glasses.

I really wanted the S4 but I just can't see paying that much for a phone . I been waiting for it to come down to maybe $450 or less ,but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Is there any other phone for around the same price ($400) as the Mega with a bigger screen than the S4 ,but is better than the Mega screen resolution ?

I don't know what to do because I know the Mega is going back up in price and have to make a decision.

I live in NYC so I don't think there will be a problem with any signal..well I hope not.

Thanks

PS: I do a lot of surfing and watch movies with my phone during downtime on my job so a bigger screen is really needed with my eyesight.

Why not just get a tablet like nexus 7? whenever you don't need it, just leave it home.

Reactions: BlueMuscles
Upvote 0

Thanks

I was there over the weekend and I can say my signal was much better than back when I had the motion.
4 Bars almost everywhere outside and I only remember 1 time without any 4G. I was barely on HSPA+ mostly LTE. Back when I had the motion(old metro network) and I was there it would be no signal or 1 bar in most basements.

Upvote 0

The closest thing I can think of is Galaxy Note II.

The spec wise it's better (quad core, better ram). Screenwise it's same resolution but the size is 5.5' compared to Mega's 6.3' So the screen itself is smaller but pixels are denser.

Price-wise I think it's little more expensive if you buy phone itself without the contrct ($500-ish?? correct me if I am wrong...)

So yeah If you don't want any hassel of buying here and activate there.. Mega might be the one you are looking for.

I also wrote down recommended phone from Metro PCS phone line up on my site, check if you are interested :)

LG Spirit | LG Motion | LG Esteem | Android | Smart Phones | Metro PCS: Recommended Metro PCS Phone (as of 11/25/2013)

Upvote 0
Why not just get a tablet like nexus 7? whenever you don't need it, just leave it home.

I was there over the weekend and I can say my signal was much better than back when I had the motion.
4 Bars almost everywhere outside and I only remember 1 time without any 4G. I was barely on HSPA+ mostly LTE. Back when I had the motion(old metro network) and I was there it would be no signal or 1 bar in most basements.

I had the indulge and that was the worst phone ever. Connect isn't bad ,but the screen size is killing me and now the signal gets dropped often since the change over.

Plus I never got the software upgrade because the Metro store I go to is full of clowns.

Upvote 0
Holy phablet. ;)
The specs are good and I'm sure this is the ticket for some people, but personally I think I'd need to be wearing a clown suit to walk around holding something this big up to my ear. :)
My eyesight is lousy too, but since I got progressive bifocals recently I have no problem with the 4" screen on my F3.

It is big..LOL but the resolution isn't the greatest and it has to be better than the connect.

I'm not much of a gabber on the phone but I do tons of surfing and netflix.

I have to see this Mega in person that's for sure.

Upvote 0
The closest thing I can think of is Galaxy Note II.

The spec wise it's better (quad core, better ram). Screenwise it's same resolution but the size is 5.5' compared to Mega's 6.3' So the screen itself is smaller but pixels are denser.

Price-wise I think it's little more expensive if you buy phone itself without the contrct ($500-ish?? correct me if I am wrong...)

So yeah If you don't want any hassle of buying here and activate there.. Mega might be the one you are looking for.

I also wrote down recommended phone from Metro PCS phone line up on my site, check if you are interested :)

LG Spirit | LG Motion | LG Esteem | Android | Smart Phones | Metro PCS: Recommended Metro PCS Phone (as of 11/25/2013)

Yes I was looking at the Note 2 and it looks great..just wish it was cheaper..grrrr I would get it in a heart beat. Hopefully some good sales happen on Friday.

Appreciate all the replies !

Actually the Mega doesn't look too big in this guys hand..what ya think ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4JKPmA291A

I'll check out your website..Thanks .

Upvote 0
Yes I was looking at the Note 2 and it looks great..just wish it was cheaper..grrrr I would get it in a heart beat. Hopefully some good sales happen on Friday.

Appreciate all the replies !

Actually the Mega doesn't look too big in this guys hand..what ya think ?
Galaxy Mega - ChatOn & WatchOn - YouTube

I'll check out your website..Thanks .

Cheaper? You can pick up a clean IMEI T-mobile note 2 for about $340, or get the AT&T version, unlock it, and flash the AWS stuff, and it'll be cheaper.

Upvote 0
One my friend (authorized metro dealer) brought Galaxy Mega to church so I had chance to test it out.

And I compared Mega (6.3') and Nexus 7 (1st gen, 7') side to side. 0.7' doesn't seem like much size difference but Mega has thinner bezel around the screen so actual device size was smaller than Nexus 7. I was able to grab around securely with one hand.

But some people claim Mega actually is little bulky and feel too much for the phone, so before buying this online I recommend actualy hold and test around.

Upvote 0
for me its more akin to seeing someone with this

73.jpg

someone who has money to burn on a phone "just because"

Upvote 0

73.jpg

Those look like diamonds on a phone. Thats just crazy. I saw the Samsung Mega today and its a BIG phone. $399 out the door for new customers, and $540 (includes swap,sim, activation)something for upgrade. Almost like tablet size; but too big for me so I got my Nexus 5 instead.

Upvote 0

73.jpg

Yes that's crazy ..I still wouldn't say anything (Joking with friends is OK but not a total stranger ) and this bling phone is much worst than a plain big phone . It serves no purpose other than to say look at me .

I need a bigger phone because I have bad eyesight ,plus I belong to a lot of forums and watch netflix during down time at work.

I really wanted the S4 due to it's screen size ,but to me the price is too much to spend on a phone. I have the money ,but can't see spending it.

I didn't know about the Mega till this thread was posted..screen size is great for me and don't need all the bells and whistles, but $400 is still a lot for a phone .I will take a look at it. Less $ than the S4 plus it's bigger.

I'm trying to stick with Metros phones to avoid any headaches. Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to upgrade my software for my Connect..LOL

There's an old saying .....

" Just because you can doesn't mean you should "

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones