• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus / Nexus Prime on Orange UK

Anyone heard any updates from Orange on when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus / Nexus Prime will be available to current Orange UK customers as an upgrade?

I'm due for an upgrade already and holding out till it comes, letting my contract roll over month by month.

I queried when I was in my local Orange shop yesterday and they knew nothing. They did say that as we're the middle of nowhere (kinda), they always find out last.

They said the best place to try would be the website.

Upvote 0
So... I'm actually nowhere near the end of my contract, but followed the link to the Orange online store and got asked if I wanted to chat with an online advisor...

Welcome to Orange online chat. One of our advisors will be with you as soon as possible.
You're now chatting to Stacey.
Stacey: Hello, you're chatting to Stacey. I am part of the dedicated Orange Online Sales Team. How can I help you with your new order?
Stacey: Hi
D-U-R-X: Hi Stacey
Stacey: How are you?
D-U-R-X: Fine thanks - hope you are too!
Stacey: I'm fine.
D-U-R-X: Already an orange customer, just after a bit of info if possible
Stacey: Welcome to Orange. What are you looking for on our website today?
Stacey: Yes please.
Stacey: I appreciate that you are our valued existing customer and want to continue with our services.
D-U-R-X: Will the Galaxy Nexus (as in the New Android 4.0 mobile phone) be coming to the Orange network?
Stacey: Yes for sure.
Stacey: Orange is looking forward this phone.
Stacey: It will be available very soon.
Stacey: However, I can not make any commitment on date.
D-U-R-X: I have heard different answers from different people (including those who have been in to your stores), which is why I thought I'd ask
Stacey: Yes.
D-U-R-X: What would the delay be in getting it? I know that it is available on other networks
Stacey: Honestly I'm also waiting for this phone however, it is completely depend on stock availability.
Stacey: I'll take your feedback as suggestion.
Stacey: We will try to implement as soon as possible.
D-U-R-X: I understand. The phone has been out for a while now and I would have thought that Orange would want to be at the forefront of mobile technology and would release it straight away

I realise that Stacey could have been talking rubbish, just to try and fob me off, but thought I'd share!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
To contradict other posts, according to Orange rep I spoke with today, if we want the G-Nex, it well need to be done via Carphone Warehouse out P4U. You'll be able to keep all the existing discounts you have, but you'll be dealing with an intermediatary as opposed to Orange themselves.

Be interesting to see who they've told the truth too :p.

Upvote 0
To contradict other posts, according to Orange rep I spoke with today, if we want the G-Nex, it well need to be done via Carphone Warehouse out P4U. You'll be able to keep all the existing discounts you have, but you'll be dealing with an intermediatary as opposed to Orange themselves.

P4U told me to deal directly with the big O if I had any issues, which I did. They didn't seem to have a problem deling with me. Even managed to get some discount for their 3g coverage being piss poor as a mast in my area was down.

Could it just be a line Orange tell you to stop you going to CW and P4U?

Upvote 0

Do you mind explaining this slowly for the thick? ;) Does this mean that you can upgrade an orange contract via CPW or P4U?

I'm out of contract and I want a Galaxy Nexus. Now Orange upgrades have offered me 600mins,1200texts,1GB for

Upvote 0
Could it just be a line Orange tell you to stop you going to CW and P4U?

I don't think they know what they're supposed to be saying, they all appear to be saying different things. Interesting that you can go straight to them with problems though.

Do you mind explaining this slowly for the thick? ;) Does this mean that you can upgrade an orange contract via CPW or P4U?

I'm out of contract and I want a Galaxy Nexus. Now Orange upgrades have offered me 600mins,1200texts,1GB for

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I have just had a call from Orange informing me that I am due for a handset upgrade having nearly reached the end of my contract. Upon informing him of my intention to move to a Galaxy Nexus on O2 unless Orange could provide a firm release date for the Galaxy Nexus he stated that "Orange will never support the Galaxy Nexus due to major bugs with the handset." FUD?

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I have just had a call from Orange informing me that I am due for a handset upgrade having nearly reached the end of my contract. Upon informing him of my intention to move to a Galaxy Nexus on O2 unless Orange could provide a firm release date for the Galaxy Nexus he stated that "Orange will never support the Galaxy Nexus due to major bugs with the handset." FUD?

The radio on the CDMA version is pretty poor by all accounts and on the GSM version (the one we'd we'd use over here), there was a bug that if you sqitched the handset to 2G or it went anywhere near a 2G source, it would put itself on silent (vid below)

Samsung Galaxy Nexus volume bug on EDGE networks - YouTube

It was fixed via software updates a while back though. Unless there are other bugs I don't know about? All folk I know with the handset love it!

Upvote 0
So Orange won't be supporting it, but you can get it on contract with Orange through Carphonewarehouse who say that, if you have any problems, you should call Orange's customer service support!??!

Don't get me wrong... I believe you when you say that they told you that are not offering it/will never support it, but where's the guy got his info from? I've been told, as have others, that it is "on it's way" or will be "with them soon"... even had one of their customer service people telling me that she was waiting for the handset... it just doesn't add up!

To be honest, I have a year left on my contract and, by the time I'm due for an upgrade, there will be something else new that won't be available on Orange :rolleyes::eek::D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones