1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Samsung galaxy nexus stuck in bootloop!?!Support

1. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

Yesterday I was on my phone and out of nowhere it began turning off and turning back on, it did this about every 15 seconds and I had no idea how to stop it. It then eventually stopped turning back on and when I tried to turn it on, it just kept showing me the start up thing (color wheel) over and over, and over. I've tried pulling out the battery multiple times, I let it sit overnight with the battery not inside, I even kept it plugged into the computer without the battery and that didn't help either. Is there anyway I could fix it without losing all my things? I have some important things I really need. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

3. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

How do i find the safe mode on the samsung galaxy nexus :( ?
  4. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

i tried the alternate method but it only works if you can get to the home screen and i cant because of the bootloop? any other options :/? Also sorry for replying a tad late.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Is the phone rooted and/or stock?
    NadineJ, Rxpert83 and Granite1 like this.
  6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It would also be good to know what version of the Gnex you have: GSM, Verizon, or Sprint.
    Rxpert83 and Unforgiven like this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Thanks, I should have asked that.:D
    Granite1 likes this.
  8. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Does the Gnex have the option to wipe the caches in the stock recovery?

I rooted my father-in-law's gnex as soon as I got it, so I'm not sure. I know HTC phoes has this option in the stock recovery, hence my question. If it does have that option we can wipe the caches and see if it'll boot up from there.
    Rxpert83 and jhawkkw like this.
  9. jhawkkw

Yes it does, and that was going to be my first recommendation. :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

I'll just add that if you do have to do a factory data reset, you will not loose pictures, music, etc. You will loose app data, call logs, sms, and mms.

good luck
  11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Yup, as well as factory reset. (And even adb updates)
  12. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

My nexus is a GSM, how do i know if it is stock or rooted? If this helps, i was at work the other day and my phone was turning on and doing that cool color wheel thing and my manager looked at it and went '' your phone is jellybeaned!! '' have absolutely no idea what that meant, my dad actually got my phone for me from a friend of his and he got it dang cheap too so god knows whats been done to it. I would like to keep my sms' and contacts as well if i can. thanks :)
  13. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

When it was booting did it do the "color wheel" or kind of a flashing colorful "X" like this:
    [​IMG]
    Do you recall when you last used it was it trying to download a firmware update?
  14. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

15. jhawkkw

The first thing I would recommend is to wipe the cache for the phone. Doing so will not affect data on the phone, so everything will be maintained. The easiest way to do this is through recovery. To access this:
    1) Make sure the phone is off
    2) Press and hold both volume up + volume down and the power button until you feel it give a quick vibrate.
    3) You should see a picture of an android laying down with it's stomach opened up. Use the volume keys to navigate the menu. It will initially be on "Start", using the volume keys, change it to "Reboot Recovery". Once that is displayed, hit the power button.
    4)The device will appear to reboot, and then you will see an android laying down with a red exclamation mark above it. Press Volume up + power to access the menu.'
    5) Navigate the menu with the volume keys down to the option "Wipe Cache" or something to that extent. Press the power key to select, and then confirm.
    6) This should be somewhat quick. After that, navigate to "reboot device" and hit power to select.

You device should attempt to reboot. Let us know how that goes.
    teddyearp and Unforgiven like this.
  16. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

after doing this will everything on my phone still be in tact or?
  17. jhawkkw

Yes, everything will remain untouched after this. However if this doesn't work, all the other procedures will likely result in loss of data.
  18. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

aw that sucks, well ill try it and will let you know what happens. thanks :)
  19. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

i just tried it, and when im scrolling through the options where the android is on his stomach, there is only recovery mode, restart bootloader, start and power off, which one do i click?
  20. jhawkkw

Recovery is what you want.
    Unforgiven likes this.
  21. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

okay im up to the 4th step now and im pressing volume up and power button and nothings happening, do i press them simultaneously? do i hold the buttons?
  22. jhawkkw

it should be done at the same time.
  23. NadineJ

NadineJ Member

okay i got the menu up, the options are reboot system now, apply update from/cache, wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition, i choose the wipe cache partition right?
  24. jhawkkw

yes, wipe cache partition is the option you want.