• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Dead (Not powering on)

I have Samsung note 2 and it's about 1 and 1/2 years old. I turned it off then can't turn it back on. I brought it to a Samsung boot in the mall and those guys have no clue. Battery is fine, didn't damage by water. I get this blank screen. I took a picture but I'm a new member, I'm not allowed to post it so maybe someone here can help me.

Upvote 0
I have Samsung note 2 and it's about 1 and 1/2 years old. I turned it off then can't turn it back on. I brought it to a Samsung boot in the mall and those guys have no clue. Battery is fine, didn't damage by water. I get this blank screen. I took a picture but I'm a new member, I'm not allowed to post it so maybe someone here can help me.

Hold volume down and home and power. Do you get anything?

Hold volume up and home and power. Do you get anything?

Upvote 0
samsung replaced the motherboard without any cost :):D...

Wondering if your phone was still under warranty when they replaced the motherboard free of charge? How long had you had it at that point? MY GN2 has the same issue as everyone else here including with the concurring symptoms... the motherboard is going to be replaced in a repair shop soon.... but I wonder if I could have had it replaced free of charge as well... my guess is probably not, since my phone is past the year date.... it lasted a little longer than some other phones apparently... I have had it since February of 2013...

Upvote 0
Just because YOU had a bad experience doesn't make it a bad phone.

I've had mine for a while now. I love it. Runs like a champ and I've had no issues. The only main problems we've had with them is my girlfriend's screen randomly stopped lighting up while maintaining touch functionality.

Otherwise...great device.

Got mine on t-mobile release day.
I am a mean power user.
Still going strong!!

Best phone I ever owned.

I, too thought that this was the best phone I ever owned, still do actually, except for this issue... Have to have the motherboard replaced... but, what are the specs of your phone? Is it a 32 GB model or a later 16 GB one? Cuz it is known that those models are not usually affected by this issue, but the early 16 GB models are...

See here:

Note 2 update: Sudden Death Syndrome – Roy Tanck’s weblog

Here is the relevant info, but (and this is for anyone reading this) read the whole article, it's good and helpful.

"I don’t think Samsung has confirmed this, but the likely culprit is the phone’s eMMC chip. This chip contains the internal memory of your phone, and early 16 GB models of the Note 2 had what’s now called an “insane” chip. These chips can become corrupted, and corrupted memory (in any computer) causes crashes and all sorts of instability. 32 GB models seem unaffected, as are more recent 16 GB ones."

My guess is since the Samsung Galaxy 3 had these same or similar motherboard issues, they probably built upon that plan and just added some bells and whistles....

Upvote 0
i have the same problem...i tried to update the software and it will suddenly closed....then i tried to open it after some time...but it will just show samsung galaxy logo..and hold it there...i show my cell to many experts,they said its a software issue..but after they fail to do software ..they suggest me to open it and change motherboard ,i dnt think so that it is a solution,,so please helpp me out of this kindly...

Upvote 0
Before you give up..... My Galaxy Note 2 would not turn on yesterday. (I rarely use it, I let my kid play games on it mostly) I tried many of the suggestions listed on this thread, holding down buttons etc... Then I looked at the battery contacts and thought "hhmm".... I had some metal polish so I grabbed a q tip and gently cleaned the battery contacts. (The contacts on the battery, not inside the phone) then placed the battery back in the phone and it booted right up!

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Another good cleaner for electrical contacts/circuitboards: clean pencil eraser. No I'm not being sarcastic or haha-funny, used to make circuitry and surge suppressors for a living and I promise.. It works dang good. When the eraser gets nasty, just rub it (eraser) on ur denim/pants to clean it and go back to what you're doing. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones