• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Note 2 stuck at boot logo

Hi,

I just received an update on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Sprint just yesterday. The phone is rooted and I think I made the mistake and did the update. After the update has finished, the phone rebooted and now its stuck in the boot logo "Samsung Galaxy Note II". I pull out the battery and wait a few seconds. I decide to put the phone in recovery mode by holding the power, home, and volume button and another problem occurs. I press the volume up:continue and now the phone is stuck again in ODIN MODE with the android logo. Underneath the logo says "Downloading... do not turn off target." so I left it like that for a good couple of minutes and nothing happened.

What should I do now?

Odin Mode (Download mode) will just sit there waiting for input via odin. The problem might be that you interrupted the update. With any luck, it will recover if you let the phone boot normally. After an update it's normal for a phone to sit on the splash screen for several minutes (sometimes as long as 15 minutes) before it's done updating.

Give it a try.

If that doesn't fix it, try clearing the cache in recovery mode. Hopefully you have your data backed up because the next steps would be to factory reset and ultimately reflash the factory firmware.

Upvote 0
EDIT:

I decided to let the phone boot normally and it is not stuck at Android boot logo after quite some time after waiting. My phone is now in Android System Recovery and below is what the phone looks like but I written down everything instead of a picture. (no phone/camera).

Android System Recovery <3e>

volume up/down to move highlight:
power button to select.

-reboot system now
-apply update from ADB
-Apply update from external storage
wipe data factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache
------------------------------------------------------

#MANUAL MODE $
--appling MultiCSC...
Applied the CSC-code : SPR
Successfully applied multi-CSC

First, I selected reboot system now. I wait and waited literally just left my phone on table and forgot about it. Then the phone is back in Android System Recovery.

What should I do now? Reboot system does not work since it will bring me back to android system recovery again.

Wipe data/factory reset is my only option?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's not good. :(

Here's what I think may have happened. By pulling the battery during the update process you damaged the file system. Now, if you're lucky, you've only corrupted some ancillary file that won't cause any problems, but from your description I fear it may be a critical system file.

Try this first.

In recovery select apply update from cache. If it's cached the previous update files they may be able to replace the damaged one. If that doesn't work and you end up back in recovery, try wiping the cache. and rebooting.

Again if that doesn't work, a factory reset would be your next step, but if the system files are damaged, it won't work, either. At that point you'll have to find the factory firmware for you phone and flash it with Odin, but let's not jump the gun. Do the other things first and then we'll see.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks,

I select apply update from cache in recovery select and here are the following options,

8b7bed7b9b14c8a7c99e8da884c6c75f50cee97a.USER_L900_SPT_NE2_to_NK2_updat(gets cut off here)
backup/
fota/
lost+found/
recovery/

Which one should I select?

-Thanks

That one. If it's not the right one or it's also damaged, you'll know right away.

Upvote 0
Ahh... I did it but first, it was at the boot logo then it disappeared and the boot logo came back and unfortunately after waiting quite some time now, its back at the Android system recovery...

I decided to data factory reset and reboot system and my phone is still stuck in samsung galaxy note II boot logo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there.

I been benefiting from your videos about note 2.

Thank you so much for them.

I need your guidance for my note. I have made a big mistake on it. I have deleted the touchwiz on it using a root app remover. Now my phone just will not boot up correctly. I stays stuck on the splash screen logo for the service provider.

My main need is to have access to all my data then do a factory reset from the recovery.

Is there anyway to reinstall the touchwiz without factory reset using odion or something else?

Or is there a way to use a pc via usb cable to remove my data using recovery mode then obviously do a factory reset from the recovery?

Helen

Upvote 0
Unfortunately once you remove system apps like TouchWiza factory reset won't restore them. You're going to have to find the factory firmware and flash it with Odin. As for getting your data off, pictures and videos might be possible but things like email, text messages and clays might not be recoverable.

Thank you Lunatic59.

How do i get my pictures and videos and mp3 files off the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume you weren't sync'ing your files to the cloud (Google). If you're not sure, the first thing you should do is to log into your gmail account and see if the pictures are there. I'm not sure if the Note 2 had sync on or off by default. If they are there, then you're good to go and you can send them back to your phone once you get it working.

If not, you can possibly get them off with adb (android debug bridge) commands. Since you rooted your phone, I'm hoping you also have a custom recovery installed that supports mounting the partitions, perhaps with a USB option. If not, I'm not sure if stock recover supports adb commands to pull files from the phone. We can give it a try, but first lets look at the other options.

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume you weren't sync'ing your files to the cloud (Google). If you're not sure, the first thing you should do is to log into your gmail account and see if the pictures are there. I'm not sure if the Note 2 had sync on or off by default. If they are there, then you're good to go and you can send them back to your phone once you get it working.

If not, you can possibly get them off with adb (android debug bridge) commands. Since you rooted your phone, I'm hoping you also have a custom recovery installed that supports mounting the partitions, perhaps with a USB option. If not, I'm not sure if stock recover supports adb commands to pull files from the phone. We can give it a try, but first lets look at the other options.

Thank you lunatic59 for responding.

In fact I dont need the pictures because I made a copy of them on my external sd card, what I really need is my mp3 files. They were voice chats I recorded, and they are vital proofs against someone who's trying to hurt my daughter.

Yes I think have custom recovery installed that supports mounting the partitions.
Its got

mount/efs
unmount / cache
mount / system
mount / data
mount / preload
mount / sdcard
mount / external-sd
format /cache
format / system
format / data
format / preload
format / sdcard
format / externa sd
mount usb storage

mounts and storage menu cwm-based recovery v6. 0. 1. 4. - jb

compile by Xiaolu (2012 - 10 - 11)

Upvote 0
Okay, lets go to the next steps to try to get them off ... Boot your phone into recovery and plug it onto your PC with a known good USB cable. Samsung phones are very fussy about USB cables so if you've got the OEM cable, that would be best. If you have an option to mount USB storage, then choose that. It should allow you to mount your device as a removable drive on your PC and you just copy off the files. If not ...

Since you rooted your phone I am going to assume you have working drivers on your PC or laptop. Do you have a working copy of adb.exe? If you downloaded the Android SDK to root, then look in that folder under a subfolder called platform-tools. If you don't then you can grab a compact version of the adb utility here.

Now, what you want to do is to open a command prompt (start menu>search type "cmd") and right-click cmd.exe and select run as administrator. Now you will have to navigate to the folder where adb.exe resides. I have the SDK installed on my drive F: so for me to get there i type ...

Code:
F:
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

With the phone plugged in, let's see if adb sees it. Type:
Code:
adb devices
if you phone is recognized you will see a serial number. If not, then it will say no devices.

Let's assume it sees the phone, mount /sdcard partition on the phone using the recovery menu. Then you will type
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/total_recall/*.mp3
and that will copy all mp3 files from that folder into the folder where adb.exe. is. You could also create a folder on your PC under C:\rescue and if you want to put them there you type
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/total_recall/*.mp3 c:/rescue/

Upvote 0
the think
Okay, lets go to the next steps to try to get them off ... Boot your phone into recovery and plug it onto your PC with a known good USB cable. Samsung phones are very fussy about USB cables so if you've got the OEM cable, that would be best. If you have an option to mount USB storage, then choose that. It should allow you to mount your device as a removable drive on your PC and you just copy off the files. If not ...

Since you rooted your phone I am going to assume you have working drivers on your PC or laptop. Do you have a working copy of adb.exe? If you downloaded the Android SDK to root, then look in that folder under a subfolder called platform-tools. If you don't then you can grab a compact version of the adb utility here.

Now, what you want to do is to open a command prompt (start menu>search type "cmd") and right-click cmd.exe and select run as administrator. Now you will have to navigate to the folder where adb.exe resides. I have the SDK installed on my drive F: so for me to get there i type ...

Code:
F:
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

With the phone plugged in, let's see if adb sees it. Type:
Code:
adb devices
if you phone is recognized you will see a serial number. If not, then it will say no devices.

Let's assume it sees the phone, mount /sdcard partition on the phone using the recovery menu. Then you will type
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/total_recall/*.mp3
and that will copy all mp3 files from that folder into the folder where adb.exe. is. You could also create a folder on your PC under C:\rescue and if you want to put them there you type
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/total_recall/*.mp3 c:/rescue/

That is brilliant thank you so much. May God bless you so much.

It working but the files are not there.

How can I look inside the directories? Can I do cd and then dir to see then files inside folders?

Upvote 0
I haven't done it in a while, but I think the linux commands work in the adb shell. At the command prompt type
Code:
adb shell ls -R /sdcard | grep *.mp3

That should show you every mp3 file on your sdcard.

Or you could just launch the adb shell command
Code:
adb shell
and then just browse using ls (the -R lists recursively, so be careful or you could easily see every file on your phone scroll by. :eek:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones