Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - Use Laptop Internet ConnectionSupport

1. ivanbayross

ivanbayross New Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000.

I have an HP laptop. I connect my HP laptop to the Internet using a broadband dongle.

This works sweetly.

I've been trying to figure out how to connect my Galaxy Note GT N7000 to my HP laptop and use the Internet broadband dongle there to access the Internet on my Galaxy Note.

I'm open to doing this either via a USB cable
    OR
    Wirelessly.

I do not want to - Root - my Galaxy Note or do anything dramatic.

I believe that there is a way using: WiFi Static and Ping DNS

I have actually seen this working on someone elses Galaxy Note and laptop.

Regretfully, I cannot access that person any longer.

Was wondering if anyone on this network can help me out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ivan Bayross

Advertisement
    :
  2. MajorPrince

MajorPrince New Member

Hey, did u manage to finally work around this problem, if so help me please, am stuck with the same issue
  3. Howard Hopkinson

Howard Hopkinson Well-Known Member

Connect your phone to your Laptop/PC and go to settings/More../Tethering and portable hotspot and check the USB tethering box.

Make sure you have Kies installed on your computer.
  4. ayongkot

ayongkot Well-Known Member

or you can select wifi tethering, that way you can charge the galaxy note while using it to surf internet on your laptop.
  5. Mfs2

Mfs2 Member

I have connected my phone to my Laptop and checked the USB tethering box at setting more but not able to connect to the internet of my Laptop. Can you please tell me the procedure in more detail.
  6. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I think Howard Hopkinson and ayongkot have got the wrong end of the stick. The OP want's to use the laptops internet connection on their N7000 not their N7000's internet connection on the laptop.

What you will need to do is set up your laptop as a Hotspot. Once you have done this you will see your laptop as a Wi-Fi network under Wi-Fi settings on your N7000.

In Ubuntu this is really easy. Go to System Settings > Network > Wireless > Use as Hotspot

In Windows it's a bit more involved but following these instructions should get your desired result:
    Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

In MacOS it's similar to Windows, follow these instructions:
    How to create a WiFi Hotspot using Mac OS X
  7. Mfs2

Mfs2 Member

Yes you are right. We have to make laptop hotspot. But after making the laptop hotspot, phone dont find that network. How come laptop can transmit internet as its wifi is just to receive the wifi, not to transmit. Right???
  8. Inc

Inc New Member

Well my problem is that I can manage to create the hotspot, I see it in my network connections and I can find it using the other notebook but my phone still can't find anything :(
  9. bluenova

No it's 2 way :)

What security are you using on your hotspot, have you tried it with Open security just to check it's all working?
  10. bluenova

Been doing a bit more research and it seems Android (by default) will not allow access to ad-hoc WiFi networks. You need to have your hotspot running in Infrastructure mode.

This thread here will explain how to setup a Windows Hotspot in Infrastructure mode:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1924911
  11. Inc

Inc New Member

Thank that helped with first part of the problem :D

So now I can actually find my hotspot using the phone but I'm still unable to connect as it keeps saying "Poor connection - Network disabled".

I tried shutting down firewalls also the in-laptop wireless connection is working and I did not forget to share the connection (which is via LAN cable so I don't have problems with making one piece of hardware doing everything).
  12. SukiiPooru

SukiiPooru New Member