• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - Use Laptop Internet Connection

ivanbayross

Lurker
Aug 12, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000.

I have an HP laptop. I connect my HP laptop to the Internet using a broadband dongle.

This works sweetly.

I've been trying to figure out how to connect my Galaxy Note GT N7000 to my HP laptop and use the Internet broadband dongle there to access the Internet on my Galaxy Note.

I'm open to doing this either via a USB cable
OR
Wirelessly.

I do not want to - Root - my Galaxy Note or do anything dramatic.

I believe that there is a way using: WiFi Static and Ping DNS

I have actually seen this working on someone elses Galaxy Note and laptop.

Regretfully, I cannot access that person any longer.

Was wondering if anyone on this network can help me out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ivan Bayross

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000.

I have an HP laptop. I connect my HP laptop to the Internet using a broadband dongle.

This works sweetly.

I've been trying to figure out how to connect my Galaxy Note GT N7000 to my HP laptop and use the Internet broadband dongle there to access the Internet on my Galaxy Note.

I'm open to doing this either via a USB cable
OR
Wirelessly.

I do not want to - Root - my Galaxy Note or do anything dramatic.

I believe that there is a way using: WiFi Static and Ping DNS

I have actually seen this working on someone elses Galaxy Note and laptop.

Regretfully, I cannot access that person any longer.

Was wondering if anyone on this network can help me out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ivan Bayross
Hey, did u manage to finally work around this problem, if so help me please, am stuck with the same issue

Upvote 0
I think Howard Hopkinson and ayongkot have got the wrong end of the stick. The OP want's to use the laptops internet connection on their N7000 not their N7000's internet connection on the laptop.

What you will need to do is set up your laptop as a Hotspot. Once you have done this you will see your laptop as a Wi-Fi network under Wi-Fi settings on your N7000.

In Ubuntu this is really easy. Go to System Settings > Network > Wireless > Use as Hotspot

In Windows it's a bit more involved but following these instructions should get your desired result:
Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

In MacOS it's similar to Windows, follow these instructions:
How to create a WiFi Hotspot using Mac OS X

Upvote 0
Yes you are right. We have to make laptop hotspot. But after making the laptop hotspot, phone dont find that network. How come laptop can transmit internet as its wifi is just to receive the wifi, not to transmit. Right???

Well my problem is that I can manage to create the hotspot, I see it in my network connections and I can find it using the other notebook but my phone still can't find anything :(

Upvote 0
Yes you are right. We have to make laptop hotspot. But after making the laptop hotspot, phone dont find that network. How come laptop can transmit internet as its wifi is just to receive the wifi, not to transmit. Right???

No it's 2 way :)

Well my problem is that I can manage to create the hotspot, I see it in my network connections and I can find it using the other notebook but my phone still can't find anything :(

What security are you using on your hotspot, have you tried it with Open security just to check it's all working?

Upvote 0
Thank that helped with first part of the problem :D

So now I can actually find my hotspot using the phone but I'm still unable to connect as it keeps saying "Poor connection - Network disabled".

I tried shutting down firewalls also the in-laptop wireless connection is working and I did not forget to share the connection (which is via LAN cable so I don't have problems with making one piece of hardware doing everything).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones