• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy player 5.0

snowman88

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
My son just exchanged his Ipod Touch for a Samsung Galaxy player 5.0. This device is cool except it has NO parental controls. I have downloaded Safe Browser, Webroot Mobil and a few others but he still has access to the Google browsers. Even if I set the Google browsers to "strict" there is no way to lock it and the device resets to default settings if the unit is shut off.

Does anyone know of a way to lock or delete the Goolge browsers so "Safe Browser" is the only way to access the internet????

If I can't make this device safe for my 11 year old to surf the net then this unit is heading back to the store and we will go back to the Ipod Touch................

There's an app called Seal that can lock individual apps with either a PIN or a pattern lock.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=seal. Just make sure to lock the app manager, too, so he can't just uninstall seal.

A factory reset will clear everything, though, so it all depends on how knowledgeable your son is. There are more ways of removing your restrictions than you have of adding restrictions, too.

Upvote 0
Thank you Jerofld for respone. My son is extreamly knowledgable. He writes program in several differant languages both PC and Mac. He has hacked so many games and programs. I can put Seal on it and find a way to chane the name so he can't Google it. I think Rootkit will even hide it. If you have anymore ideas please post them.

Thanks Again.............

Upvote 0
My understanding the the Galaxy Player is wifi only. You may be able to do some parental controls on your router at home. I have mine configured to disallow my 13yr olds step sons XBox from communicating after 10PM on weekdays based on mac address, so it is foolproof. I also combine methods like these with communication with him, so he not only knows what I am doing, but why as well. I've had good experiences with my 17 year old step son, my 13 year old step son, and I hope it works with my 4 year old boy.

You can do all you can do, but they are going to make adolescent mistakes and judgmental errors. Stick with them, be a good parent (sounds like you are) and do the best you can.

PS. My experience is also that taking away the devices you control doesn't solve the problem. Between school libraries, public libraries, and friends houses they will get to the stuff you would prefer they don't anyway. Helping them to use those devices responsibly and understand the consequences of viewing that content has been my best defense against their viewing it.

I hope this helps as one parent to another.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones