• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Relay 4G Review

jjfad

Aug 10, 2010
I just got my Relay 4G and thought I'd jot down some notes. FYI I am a longtime keyboard phone user. Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9650 > Motorola XPRT (Droid Pro) > Relay 4G.

By far my favorite keyboard ever was the keyboard on the 9650. The keyboard on the Relay is okay. Most likely my reservations have to do with the fact that I've never owned a wide keyboard device before. My primary quibble, which I do not expect to change over time, is that there is only one 'Alt' key on the left side. So if I want to type the @ symbol I have to hold down 'Alt' and reach across the keyboard with my right thumb to hit the @ key (which is placed above the 2 key). Super annoying. A second quibble is that the space bar -- which needs to be long because of the wide keyboard layout -- sometimes does not depress if you hit it on the side. So again you have to make sure your thumb travels all the way across so that you can hit the space bar more or less squarely in the middle.

Speakerphone is loud and good.

The phone feels solid in my hands without feeling bulky. It's only 0.2 oz heavier than my old XPRT. Of course it would be nice to have something that weighs 4 oz like the Blaze.

I'm a pretty light user, and the battery gets me through the day. I haven't started experimenting with more intensive usage (eg watching a video on my commute).

That's all for now. Hope we get some more users on this board!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones