• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S Android Gingerbread update

I am usin 2.2 stock firmware in Australia, the phone is becoming somewhat painful at times. Laggy operation, battery seems to be draining in about 12 hrs with little activity. Here is what I usually run on a typical day:

3AM remove from charge - battery 100%
imo.im is usually always running
get up, use phone to log sleep data, check face book, play tile takedown for maybe 15 mins. go to work, turn off wifi.
on the ride to work, i will use mixzing basic to play music/audio. maybe play some tile takedown
at work all day, don't use the phone at all until smoko time. at most, use phone for 20 mins. look at pulse news, play tile takedown, word feud. by now the battery is usually about 50% mark.
ride home, play tile takedown/music. sometimes battery goes flat before getting home! Usually am home 12-13 hours after phone is off the charger (3-4PM)

is this normal?

would the gingerbread update improve this? I know my brother had a Samsung i8910 Omnia and he said a firmware update improved battery life imncredibly on that.

Also my phone seems to have major issues with the wifi. Doesn't connect to wireless networks when it should, sometimes wifi doesn't turn on, sometimes wifi settings page crashes and force close. I usually have to restart the phone at least once a day to connect to my home wifi.

I am on the verge of going down the route of rooting the phone to get custom firmware on it, but I am weghing up doing this against waiting for Samsung to release 2.3 and wondering about my warranty if I root the phone. Can I revert to stock firmware if I root the phone?

Upvote 0
I am usin 2.2 stock firmware in Australia, the phone is becoming somewhat painful at times. Laggy operation, battery seems to be draining in about 12 hrs with little activity. Here is what I usually run on a typical day:

3AM remove from charge - battery 100%
imo.im is usually always running
get up, use phone to log sleep data, check face book, play tile takedown for maybe 15 mins. go to work, turn off wifi.
on the ride to work, i will use mixzing basic to play music/audio. maybe play some tile takedown
at work all day, don't use the phone at all until smoko time. at most, use phone for 20 mins. look at pulse news, play tile takedown, word feud. by now the battery is usually about 50% mark.
ride home, play tile takedown/music. sometimes battery goes flat before getting home! Usually am home 12-13 hours after phone is off the charger (3-4PM)

is this normal?

would the gingerbread update improve this? I know my brother had a Samsung i8910 Omnia and he said a firmware update improved battery life imncredibly on that.

Also my phone seems to have major issues with the wifi. Doesn't connect to wireless networks when it should, sometimes wifi doesn't turn on, sometimes wifi settings page crashes and force close. I usually have to restart the phone at least once a day to connect to my home wifi.

I am on the verge of going down the route of rooting the phone to get custom firmware on it, but I am weghing up doing this against waiting for Samsung to release 2.3 and wondering about my warranty if I root the phone. Can I revert to stock firmware if I root the phone?

Well i can only say if you want better battery life you should look for a custom rom and a custom kernel.
You will get more speed and you battery life will be better.
I know its a big steep for some people to switch to custom stuff, but the reward is big.
If the phone breaks in the hardware then you might be able to flash back a stock firmware. That would keep your warranty.
But this phone is almost impossible to brick, so its very unlucky if you do it.
I can say after the first time I used a custom kernel I never looked back to a stock kernel.
Also a custom rom give you more option to add themes and stuff.
But I still feel that gingerbread is not ready yet and froyo is still faster and better.

Upvote 0
I keep reading about custom kernals. What exaclty are they, which one is best and how easy is it to install them?

They replace the original kernel.
They will give you a more optimized kernel that is faster and also give you alot of more options.
Also they give you the option to change the file system.
This will speed up the phone.
You will also get a backup option so you can make a full backup.
This will help you to restore your phone very fast if something goes wrong.
Of course my kernel is the best:D
if you dont have any custom kernel yet you need to use Odin to flash the kernel.
After that you use the recovery in the kernel to flash other kernels or update,like rom and themes.

Upvote 0
I have been using a post 2.2 firmware for the last 2 months and it is fantastic. I read on XDA that someone got into contact with Samsung AU and they said that Australia wouldn't get any further updates because SGS2 is coming out, no idea how valid it is but 2.2.1 has been out for a long time in EU.

I don't use my phone heavily (turning on the screen to check the time takes most of my battery) but I have been running 2.3.3 for around a week and I have been able to get at least a day out of my phone (and I play Angry Birds a bit during downtime at work).

Upvote 0
I have been using a post 2.2 firmware for the last 2 months and it is fantastic. I read on XDA that someone got into contact with Samsung AU and they said that Australia wouldn't get any further updates because SGS2 is coming out, no idea how valid it is but 2.2.1 has been out for a long time in EU.

I don't use my phone heavily (turning on the screen to check the time takes most of my battery) but I have been running 2.3.3 for around a week and I have been able to get at least a day out of my phone (and I play Angry Birds a bit during downtime at work).

Install "juice defender" and it will last even longer

Upvote 0

I pray this isn't true. My SGS has been running so slow with 2.2, and apparently 2.2.1 gets rid of heaps of the lag. Just got it back from repairs. Will wait and see with the verdict.

Upvote 0
I have 2.2 on an unlocked T Mobile SGS I have been reading about rooting and custom kernels but I don't have the foggiest how to go about it. It seems I need to load different software packages both for my laptop (I don't have a card reader on my laptop)and phone before I begin, I am quite nervous I will trash my phone so I would appreciate it somebody could give me a step by step approach including which software I need to load. My phone still proprietary T Mobile software/firmware which I could definitely live without would rooting remove this too?

Upvote 0
I have 2.2 on an unlocked T Mobile SGS I have been reading about rooting and custom kernels but I don't have the foggiest how to go about it. It seems I need to load different software packages both for my laptop (I don't have a card reader on my laptop)and phone before I begin, I am quite nervous I will trash my phone so I would appreciate it somebody could give me a step by step approach including which software I need to load. My phone still proprietary T Mobile software/firmware which I could definitely live without would rooting remove this too?

Well i do have all knowledge thats needed.
I do write my own kernels and I have done a couple of roms.
This phone is so good to flash for its almost impossible to break it.
I can also say its a big different to have custom stuff on in.
Its a different phone in speed and how it looks.
It some country dont support it in the future its dont matter.
You got the hardware and there is always people that will do a better software then stock.

To bad there is no area for Kernel stuff here.
In that i could show all thats needed to make your phone fly,,,:D

Upvote 0
Well i do have all knowledge thats needed.
I do write my own kernels and I have done a couple of roms.
This phone is so good to flash for its almost impossible to break it.
I can also say its a big different to have custom stuff on in.
Its a different phone in speed and how it looks.
It some country dont support it in the future its dont matter.
You got the hardware and there is always people that will do a better software then stock.

To bad there is no area for Kernel stuff here.
In that i could show all thats needed to make your phone fly,,,:D

hi there can u start your own thread on kernels for the sgs and maybe some links to your work ????
thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
I can vouch for DamianGTO, I have used his kernels and ROMS and they are very stable and very fast.

You guys should head over to the galaxy s section of XDA developers forum. You'll find loads of guides there as well as DamainGTO's work.

This is a link to his post about his 2.2.1 kernel that includes overclocking, underclocking and undervloting among many others.

[KERNEL] DamianGTO Ultimate kernel (version 1.3 Beta 2) **2011-04-05** - xda-developers

Check it out.

Going custom ROM and custom kernel is the best thing you can do with this phone!!

IMPORTANT: before you flash any ROM or kernel make sure your 3-button recovery mode (volume up + home button + power) and download mode (volume down + home button + power) combinations are working.

Reactions: gazzz123
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones