• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S battery problem? Please help

Coreyg95

Feb 4, 2015
o I noticed my battery was going down pretty quickly today. I had no apps open or anything, just replying to a few texts and then my battery info shows this:
Screenshot_2015-02-06-14-19-05.png S

I don't play games, I only text, instagram, snapchat, kik, music, facebook and sometimes use youtube and call friends. I had this phone for about 4 days and my battery is just now acting up. I'm pretty disappointed right now because it was performing so well. My old phone wouldn't even last 6 hours and I had to deal with it for 2 years, I really don't want to deal with it again.

Last edited:
I can't view your attachment so I'll just take a stab at the problem for now.
Try pulling your battery - see if that helps.
Clearing your cache may help also.
Running your phompne in safe mode will help tell you if its a rogue app running wild in the background.
Is your phone dead stock? Not rooted that is? Who's your carrier?
If all else fails take it in to them & have a tech check it out :)

Upvote 0
I can't view your attachment so I'll just take a stab at the problem for now.
Try pulling your battery - see if that helps.
Clearing your cache may help also.
Running your phompne in safe mode will help tell you if its a rogue app running wild in the background.
Is your phone dead stock? Not rooted that is? Who's your carrier?
If all else fails take it in to them & have a tech check it out :)
Here, I fixed it so you can see!

Upvote 0
That looks totally normal :)
Your new 5.0 update just needs to settle in before the battery shows correctly ;)
Just keep running your phone & it will be fine :)
I hope so! It's just the battery went from 100% down to 96 in a short amount of time, but I'll keep an eye on it for a few days. I installed Lollipop like the day after I got my phone and my phone was fine. I did a stress test on it yesterday by having 10+ apps open for a few hours and my phone held up extremely well. But then today the battery was going down fast

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new chart is just predicting how much longer you have to go at the current rate. Once you do at least a couple full days of use it will be able to better calculate that predation. I liked the old chart better but I can't stop progress, nor would I want to :)
I believe you'll be fine ;)
If you're using a Verizon S5 keep an eye on it - they seem to have screwed their customers with a botched 5.0 update :(
Sprint on the other hand did a Nice job :)

Reactions: Coreyg95
Upvote 0
The new chart is just predicting how much longer you have to go at the current rate. Once you do at least a couple full days of use it will be able to better calculate that predation. I liked the old chart better but I can't stop progress, nor would I want to :)
If you're using a Verizon S5 keep an eye on it - they seem to have screwed their customers with a botched 5.0 update :(
Yeah i'm on Verizon, but thank you for your help! I really appreciate it

Reactions: systemofadown
Upvote 0
Although, you said the chart is predicting how much longer I hvae to go at the current rate, it was only the android system running and it said I had 3 hours

Upvote 0
That should be because the Android system is just figuring out how long your battery will last some batteries are older than others like you got your phone new & just updated. I've had my phone for a while so it had to adjust to my battery.
after a couple days use your battery time should extend greatly if it does not then you do have a problem.
can you post another picture of what you have today battery wise? is anything else showing up like cell signal for example? that list should be populated with more than just android system.

Upvote 0
That should be because the Android system is just figuring out how long your battery will last some batteries are older than others like you got your phone new & just updated. I've had my phone for a while so it had to adjust to my battery.
after a couple days use your battery time should extend greatly if it does not then you do have a problem.
can you post another picture of what you have today battery wise? is anything else showing up like cell signal for example? that list should be populated with more than just android system.
Well right now I have my mobile data turned off because I'm close to capping the limit but here is what the chart says now. Also, I have cleared my cache and booted it in safe mode last night but it doesn't seem like it helped. I left it off the charger over night and it said I had 6 days left before the battery dies so I started using some apps and the my battery went from 98% to 93% in such a short amount of time
Screenshot_2015-02-07-11-04-44.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In all honesty, I'm probably being paranoid. And the paranoia is because of my old phone that would die on me in 6 hours. But I just want to make sure my phone or battery isn't defective

"Just because you're paranoid... it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!" :eek:

Just do the 2 things I mentioned, which experienced flashers do all the time after flashing ROMs, and then if you still think you have a problem it may be with your apps or settings. Also, when you do the next screenie, can you take it at around 50% usage as the odd 1% doesn't tell me much. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Just because you're paranoid... it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!" :eek:

Just do the 2 things I mentioned, which experienced flashers do all the time after flashing ROMs, and then if you still think you have a problem it may be with your apps or settings.
I just downloaded the battery calibration app that was linked in the article, so thank you! I'll try that. Usually I believe those battery apps do more harm than good though

Upvote 0
I think your battery is fine ( that's just my opinion from the info presented).
Give it a few days - has your phone died in normal use yet? From the looks your battery stats all is normal - its learning :)
I didn't do anything to my phone to prepare for the 5.0 update (no cache clearing - nothing). It is advised when installing a ROM but being that this was a carrier update I was not worried. I waited for sprint to release 5.0 - downloaded the update & installed it then kept right on enjoying my phone like nothing had changed\happend :)
In the end its up to you - but I say just enjoy the update. I bet your battery will surprise you ;)

Upvote 0
I think your battery is fine ( that's just my opinion from the info presented).
Give it a few days - has your phone died in normal use yet? From the looks your battery stats all is normal - its learning :)
I didn't do anything to my phone to prepare for the 5.0 update (no cache clearing - nothing). It is advised when installing a ROM but being that this was a carrier update I was not worried. I waited for sprint to release 5.0 - downloaded the update & installed it then kept right on enjoying my phone like nothing had changed\happend :)
In the end its up to you - but I say just enjoy the update. I bet your battery will surprise you ;)
Alright, I'll give it a few days, hey thank you SO much for your help! Could I contact you again if I get any problems in the future? You've been a huge help

Reactions: systemofadown
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones