• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S bought in Middle east

zamiriqbal

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
Dear Android Community

I have bought samsung galaxy S from Dubai.

I have change the sales code to PAK by *3*3272*xx:xx* so i can get android market, but still some application are missing as Android Market in Asia is different from USA/Europe.

Is it possible to flash my rom to european ROM but (not the customer but original samsung Europe ROM).

Any Help on this and intructions on how to do it would be great..

thanks

Zamir

i just recently bought my samsung galaxy s, just a week ago, and i already have the latest version of samsung kies, but the problem is i cant upgrade it to froyo 2.2, the message says that it cannot be upgraded,

im not a local here in bahrain, and also i dont want my SGS to be in arabic characters,

i just want to ask if i can upgrade my SGS with a different region settings like US or somewhere in asia for example, here in bahrain

and also i cannot access android market, and i don't know what is the problem, and now still i dont have any of the neccessary apps that i need,

i hope someone can help me, i'd really appreciate it,
thank you

Upvote 0
nikkilodion, I too bought mine in Bahrain, but I was able to upgrade to 2.2 with Kies.

It has never been in Arabic, always English since i turned it on. Market works too, but only for free apps. If i replace my batelco sim with a UK sim I get offered the paid apps (and skype).

Anyway what i'm saying is, it might not be cos you bought it in Bahrain. Take it back? Got mine in Emax, it's ok.

Upvote 0
jenw, yes when i bought it its already set in english, but still theres no apps for android market, there's only the apps that can be downloaded in samsung apps,

but I need apps like YM, Skype, dictionary, compass ect, that can only be downloaded in the android market, now i came up with a solution i read a while ago of reseting the phone to its original factory settings, it works i have the apps of android market in my phone and already downloaded some of the apps i need,

but my big problem now is that i can't connect to the network provider :(( i am using a batelco sim card, i tried everything upto now, i even called the service center of batelco to know the access point ect ect..

im really disappointed for reseting the phone, i think middle east countries manipulates the phone and they change the settings so that i cant be used openly for the android phone

maybe you can help me with this, i will really appreciate it, :)

Upvote 0
Hi nikkilodion, glad you found the market, mine was already there when i started it.

I'm not sure what you mean by not connecting to the network provider (I'm new to all this). Do you mean phone calls, or using 3G downloading, or wifi? I've turned off my 3g as it's expensive on a sim-sim package with batelco. (Download 'quick settings' to easily turn 3g or wifi on and off).

If you have no wifi at home, one trick I should share with you is costa coffee wifi- go for a coffee and ask for the wifi password. Go to settings, then wireless, then wifi settings, turn on wifi. It will connect to costa wifi without asking for pasword, but won't work initially. You then have to open an internet screen and there you will find the place to enter your costa ID/password. Only then can you start using market etc.

Upvote 0
the problem is, it cannot receive any calls or text messages, and the sim card status in the upper right area is not available. it detects my sim card when i visit the sim options, but it cannot connect to the network provider. wifi works perfectly, i have downloaded many apps already.

but anyways, i already returned it back to where i bought it (Gossi). I hope they can still fix my phone; what good is a phone that doesn't receive/return calls and text messages. it's like having an ipod touch or something.

anyways, thanks for your help wjen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones