• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S (CAPTIVATE) Vs. HTC INDREDIBLE

Steve A

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
I Have been using the HTC Incredible for 5-6 weeks now and really love it. Yes, the battery life is not great, but I am over that having 3 fully charged batteries before I go out the door each morning.

Can anyone tell me, who has used the Dinc AND the Samsung Galaxy S if there is, other than larger 4" screen, any reason why I would want to go from the Dinc to the Galaxy phone? When the new 2.2 Android software and HTC OTA update comes out, my understanding is the Dinc will also be able to record HD video as well as serve as a hotspot for WiFi.

I would appreciate any comments!

Thank You!

I love how HTC Sense is compared to touch wiz. But I also would tell you not to buy the phone for touchwiz. I quickly installed LauncherPro over touch wiz and have been very satisfied.

However, that said, I love the parts of touchwiz that do shine through. For example, the toggle switches that they put in the drop down notification area are awesome to have. Also, the ability to swipe left and right on the notification bar to adjust brightness rocks, as well as swiping left and right on a contact to call them or text them.

I think when a good stock rom comes out, i'll problem flash it, but I'm extremely happy with where I stand right now.

If I had to choose between stock android on one or the other, I would choose the captivate. If I was someone that didn't want to tinker with it, I would choose the Incredible(but really if I was that type of person I would have just stuck with my iPhone 4). The hardware on the Captivate is better, but Sense > Touchwiz 3.0

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Captivate is also lighter - I consider that a plus. Screen is Super Amoled vs Amoled.
I believe it also suffers less from the touchscreen insensitivity when not held in hand.
The main drawback of Captivate is faulty GPS but I am hoping it will get fixed with a firmware update soon. None of the workarounds available did anything for me.

Still if both DInc and Cappy were available on one provider, i would pick the Cappy.
But in your case you have to also consider the proivders - if Verizon is much better than AT&T in your area, DInc is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Stay with the Dinc until the Fascinate comes out. No need to switch carriers, there will be a camera flash, and by then Samsung should have sorted out a lot of the little firmware kinks people are having with the Galaxy line.

The only thing the Dinc does better is the camera.

Sense UI is subjective, case design is also subjective, but the internals on the Galaxy S line are far superior to anything HTC has on the market at the moment, period.

There's also no question about the display and touch screen superiority either.

Do yourself a favor and stop by an AT&T or T-Mobile reseller and play with the CaptiVibe.

Or maybe that isn't a favor, by not doing that you can save a few hundred bucks. :)

Upvote 0
I just picked up the Captivate...and only been using the Incredible for a few days. Right out of the gate there are two things that stand out to me...
1) The screen on the captivate is truly beautiful.

2) Typing on the captivate SUCKS in comparison to Incredible. I really, REALLY hope this is because I don't know what I'm doing (setting up the keyboard), but the Incredible "learns" how you type and I can fly on it with few mistakes. With the Captivate I have to hit every single key exactly right or I end up with a typo. Also, with the Captivate, the keys only have one function so the "press and hold" that you can do on Incredible for punctuation or numbers does not exist on the Captivate.

Honestly the typing is a huge big deal to me. I think I can buy other keyboards in the Market, but I'm trying to do a battery comparison between the 2 devices as well. I have been very unhappy with the Incredible's battery life but admittedly I rooted it right out of the gate AND installed a bunch of stuff. So I took the Incredible back to factory (unrooted) and I have them both set up with the same general services, which is pretty much nothing but email and manual update of a couple of social feeds.

This is not how I will use the device long term, so I hope to be able to get the Captivate "up to speed" for my use. If it passes my testing now, then I'll think I'll be ok with the Fascinate when it comes out (I really need to stay on Verizon). If things don't work out with the Captivate I'll just limp along with the Blackberry for a bit longer. UNLESS the Incredible really wows me with its performance now that I've returned it to (almost) factory. I'm not very optimistic it will.

I hope this helps. It's so subjective.

Upvote 0
Are you seriously knocking the Captivate down for typing, when it includes Swype out of the box, which the DInc doesn't. The Swype keyboard has the hold to enter alternate symbol feature as well as a sublime method of text entry, and predictive features on top of that. If you want to enter text fast and comfortably, on a forgiving but powerful layout, Swype will simply not be beat.

Upvote 0
The problem with Swype is that its predictive features are poor for when entering text manually. Also, it does not correct mistakes the way the other keyboards do. The other keyboards are great for auto-correction but they require you to switch for numbers and characters—comma even!

Also, highlighting and deleting words that were misspelled, so it doesn't remember and fill them in for you, is a PITA!

Upvote 0
Are you seriously knocking the Captivate down for typing, when it includes Swype out of the box, which the DInc doesn't. The Swype keyboard has the hold to enter alternate symbol feature as well as a sublime method of text entry, and predictive features on top of that. If you want to enter text fast and comfortably, on a forgiving but powerful layout, Swype will simply not be beat.
Yes I seriously was. Mainly cause I hadn't found the android or swype keyboards. Now that I found them I'm happy. Last thing I'm worried about is battery. I've been on this for an hour doing mostly surfing and down 9%. That's not unacceptable but I would like to see it lower.

Upvote 0
At 9% an hour, it'll take you through 8-10 hours of surfing+talk. I agree that's a little on the low side if you are coming over from a feature phone, but pretty much on par with other smartphones with a 1 GHz processor and a large WVGA display. I just keep a Micro USB charger with me in the car and another at my office, and feed the power need of the phone once it gets below 80%. If I don't use the phone at all, I've noticed that the backgroud widget data downloads do dain the battery about 10% every 8 hours, which is about 3+ days of idling. I can live with that, as my constant tinkering with the the phone will slow down after the initial novelty is worn off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones