• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S Cons

Pantaleao

Lurker
Jun 26, 2010
Hello everyone, I can gladly say that I will be joining the Android platform in a couple days when I get my Samsung Galaxy S, however I'd like to know fr om YOU, experienced SGS users, what are the cons on this phone.

Also what cases do you recommend? I am planning on getting a full body invisishield from ZAGG? Your opinion is also welcome!!

Thanks in advance,
Pantaleao

*the* con is that the software isn't finished... but *the* great thing is that its under very active development.

As for covers - I think they are a scam.

The glass is very tough, my iphone 3g rolled about with my keys in my pocket for two years and has no scratches that affect its operation.

The back case is clear plastic thats printed on the inside so it will polish well, and is sure to be a cheap spare part if it gets too bad.

All cases/films will make it harder to use, heavier and uglier.

Its not as if its going to hold its value any more even if you have it in a case... certainly wont hold as much extra value as the case costs.

Reactions: Pantaleao
Upvote 0
The stock firmware is OK. Not as fast as it JG5 or JM5.

JG1 (or JG5) contains new code to help smooth out GPS tracks. This I think is hugely experimental and goes into firmware JP2 with the option to use navigational aids for pedestrians.

The only bad things I see... Samsung seem reluctant to release XXJF4+ firmware on Kies.... The GPS is a donkey and intermittent. Depends what you use it for. One quick lock in your area, yeah, not a problem. Walking or Driving? Ummm.

Plus the phone doesn't see the full 512 Meg of RAM it supposedly have.

Also 2 Gig of the 8 Gig you buy, or 2 Gig of the 16 Gig you buy, is reserved for installing apps. Bit of a cheat in marketing that is. Misleading advertising?

Pros though... Great screen, DivX playback, probably does last longer than a HTC Desire, HD Video Recording, one of the best camera phones I've ever used - beats my N97 with 5MP Carl Zeiss optics 100%. Light weight and big enough.

Cya
Simon

Reactions: Pantaleao
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the WiFi connection waking up more consistently after having been in "sleeping mode" for a while.
Not such a big deal, when it happens, I need to use 3 or 4 more seconds to "wake it up" manually but if I could avoid it, that would be nice.

And the battery life is really good. But it depends of course of how you use your phone.

Upvote 0
512 MB RAM support is not available until Froyo comes out. I think it's a limitation on Google's part.

Don't brother buying a screen protector. They either make the screen looks out of focus (matted) or are finger print magnets (clear).

Music player is a bit of a downer - cannot separate ringtones from music files. Alright if you only have music files in your phone. Not so right if you use strange sounds like I do.

Major lack of accessories. Perhaps this will be addressed in the future. (Samsung, where's my home cradle?)

Plastic back cover......

Lastly, not-so-good quality speaker.

Upvote 0
It seems that you can only use the stock headphones for listing to calls. If you plug in other headphones, you can listen to music - maybe - but you cannot hear telephone call and no one can hear you through the regular handset mic. On the iPhone, you can use headphones and still speak through the mic. I'm not sayin iPhone is better btw. I almost bought the Galaxy S today... I DID buy it today...and then returned it because I thought the audio jack was busted because my headphones were not working with it.

Upvote 0
512 MB RAM support is not available until Froyo comes out. I think it's a limitation on Google's part.

Im running a leak XXJP3 and I cannot see 512 Meg RAM. Whether part of that RAM is being used for the system or other processes I don't know. But if HIGHMEM is designed to give more than 256, why are we seeing something like 310Meg if HighMem isn't enabled?

Don't brother buying a screen protector. They either make the screen looks out of focus (matted) or are finger print magnets (clear).

Music player is a bit of a downer - cannot separate ringtones from music files. Alright if you only have music files in your phone. Not so right if you use strange sounds like I do.

I've never seen Ringtones coming up in the Music Player, so I don't see this as much of a problem personally. I just set an MP3 to use as a ringtone from there.

Major lack of accessories. Perhaps this will be addressed in the future. (Samsung, where's my home cradle?)

Don't forget Brodit are releasing a car holder for it soon!

Plastic back cover......

Lastly, not-so-good quality speaker.

My take on that on the other side of the fence, I don't mind the plastic back cover. Keeps the weight down, should be cheap to replace. Unlike the iPhone it is replaceable. OK, it's a finger magnet, but hey, it's a touch screen.

Also the speaker, it was much better than I was expecting coming from the N97. Shame about the location.

Upvote 0
It seems that you can only use the stock headphones for listing to calls. If you plug in other headphones, you can listen to music - maybe - but you cannot hear telephone call and no one can hear you through the regular handset mic. On the iPhone, you can use headphones and still speak through the mic. I'm not sayin iPhone is better btw. I almost bought the Galaxy S today... I DID buy it today...and then returned it because I thought the audio jack was busted because my headphones were not working with it.
Use your Iphone headphones! Works great for everything!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones