Samsung Galaxy s - Experiences??General

Last Updated:

1. tjep

tjep New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone...
    I am new here - and currently an iPhone user (be gentle.. ;))... but the truth of the matter is that I think I am at the end of the line with Apple and iPhone... (I wrote a small blog post on my thoughts here, if anyone cares..)... and after much research I think that I am going to gowith Galaxy S...

However, there are a few questions that I could really use some help with clarifying... and I hope to find help here from this amazing group! So here goes:

What do you think..? Is it good?!

Sync - I have a Mac (Win via bootcamp). However,can anyone here explain to me how to get my music from my LG NAS to the Galaxy? I do not see any Samsung support for Mac - at all?!

Apps - Does anyone here know whether I can get EA Sports Fifa 10 through Market?

Sync of gmail contacts - It seems that there are issues... are they real?! What are you guys doing?

Firmware... you guys all testing new firmware - and if yes - is there a guide?

Final question (this time around)... does the radio work ok??

Hoping for your input... :p

Advertisement
  2. -Ollie-

-Ollie- Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Mac but I will try to answer one of your question.

"Sync - I have a Mac (Win via bootcamp). However,can anyone here explain to me how to get my music from my LG NAS to the Galaxy? I do not see any Samsung support for Mac - at all?!"

Note: the comments below might be wrong

As far as I know, there is no Mac support as such with the Galaxy S, but it is quite easy to connect the Galaxy S to your Mac and have it visible as an external drive. So you can copy/paste all the songs/movies you want to. The nice thing is that in most cases (99% of the time from my experience), you do not need to convert your music or movies in a specific format. The number of audio/video codecs supported by the GS is quite impressive. Drag and drop, then play :)
    The only possible issue is that, from my findings, when it comes to HD video, the GS supports only 1260x720p movies /to be confirmed by others).

But I am afraid you can't sync your music/movies automatically when you use a Mac.
    Once again, I might be wrong. I just rely on what I read on various forums.

3. jezbear43

jezbear43 Member

the radio is top quality.i scanned all the stations in in seconds and they are all crystal clear.there is no interference as i move round either.probably the best quality radio in a phone ive ever had.and its rds as well

4. narf

narf Well-Known Member

I have heard Doubletwist is a great app for syncing with itunes though I don't have any personal experience.

5. scottie2345

scottie2345 Member

I use a Mac (as well as a PC)
    Once usb debugging has been enabled the phone and any sd card will just appear on desktop as usual for any external drive, in fact i had less trouble with my mac them with pc :)
    just drag and drop as per usual, i do use double twist synching playlists and podcasts from Itunes

Scottie

6. tjep

tjep New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys!

I went ahead and bought the SGS - and I am loving it! I have some issue with auto-rotate - but I will post that in another tread... thanks for your input!

7. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

welcome to the revolution :D

8. gibsonus

gibsonus Active Member

Today I used My backup from the market to store all data and my apps. I then flashed my galaxy to android 2.2 and restored the backup.

Then I installed adobe flash 10.1 from here... xda-developers

Bbc I player runs perfectly and the picture is awesome on the galaxy screen!

The sync with gmail for contacts etc...is perfect for me and I only use the google contacts option for storing and not the phone or sim. You'll get what I mean when you use the phone.

I've had nokias since the 1980's lol and in sold my n900 for this. I haven't looked back :)

I just wrote this with swype on my galaxy :)

You should get one. It even gets a signal lol :)

9. elliotchoueka

elliotchoueka New Member

I am thinking about buying a Galaxy S. I do most of my work on a Mac and want to know how one goes about syncing contacts and calendar between the Galaxy and Mac. Also can you explain what you mean by "Once usb debugging has been enabled"? Thanks.

10. elias_a

elias_a New Member

Could you test your radio with a station sending music with silent parts like classical music? I just bought a Galaxy S and the radio has a clearly audible interference. It is like saying po-po-po-po-po constantly. You cannot hear it if you listen to stations sending really compressed signal. You have to have enough dynamics to hear it.

Turning of all other apps and wi-fi does not help.

IMHO in this price class there should not be flaws like this.