Samsung Galaxy S firmware update to Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream SandwichTips

1. pinappu

pinappu Member

[​IMG]

If you are an unfortunate owner of a Samsung Galaxy S mobile then you have probably known that you are not getting the latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich update from Samsung. It is because of their complex Touchwiz launcher which runs over the basic Android they are unable to update it.:(

You can do it without samsung.

Samsung Galaxy S firmware update to Android 4.0

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
    :
    rayhipkiss likes this.
  2. macv36

macv36 Member

:confused:
    I really like this version, the only heavy issue has been to access my external sd card, at first I thought I would need to reformat, I could see the card in "system settings/storage/SD card", so I proceeded to select "Erase SD Card" but it formatted my internal SD not the external. Anyway when connected to the PC, I can see both, on the menu I can see both, but when I try with "OI File management" or "ES File explorer" just can't find it. And of course the folder "external_sd" was not there after the format. I created it but made no difference.
    Help is appreciated if any of you can provide any guidance.

Thanks.
  3. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Well-Known Member

@ pinappu

Thanks for the link. Really simple to update if you've ever flashed CFW in the past. I'll flash mine tomorrow when I've got half an hour spare. You're a star.

Cheers.

Ray.
  4. sbnaul

sbnaul Well-Known Member

Ext sd mounted as emmc...

[​IMG]
    macv36 likes this.
  5. blonkster

blonkster Well-Known Member

I'm running 4.0.3 RC 4.2 form Team ICS SGS and its great except for an issue with 'Android OS' keeping the system awake and affecting battery life.
    I think it may be caused by the Swype beta, but I'm still investigating.

Also the auto screen brightness doesn't work, so may swap kernels to one which does.

Overall its fast and smooth and means I don't yet need a new phone ;-)
  6. macv36

macv36 Member

Another note, two things that stopped working (not essential but nice to have) are:
    - FM radio, I tried 'Spirit FM Radio' but did not worked.
    - Face recognition
    Brightness is working fine in all modes.
    Can't find Swype on the input options, downloaded 'SlideITDemo Keyboard' but the original was better.
    Correction:
    Found original Swype but had to downloaded from http://www.swype.com
  7. macv36

macv36 Member

8. SirNight

SirNight New Member

I've done everything but after rebooting my phone isn't turning on, it just try to turn on but unsaccessful. Any solution pinappu?
  9. I'm a total noob when it comes too this stuff, but will using this update affect my contact with my phone company or anything? Is this jailbreaking it or what? :/
  10. Biku

Biku Active Member

You need to "jailbreak" it fast.
  11. Biku

Biku Active Member

I think you have done something wrong.
    evilisation likes this.
  12. evilisation

evilisation New Member

i have read the step to upgrade mine, 1st i need to root, then backup, but before i root do i need to backup emei? now i get confused.. have many warning to do this process is't safe?
  13. Rofa

Rofa Active Member

14. Biku

Biku Active Member

Why doesn't Samsung is supplying us with the official ICS update for Galaxy S ?:confused:
  15. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Unfortunately, according to Samsung, the SGS is at end of life. Which is too bad since it's nearly identical hardware to the Nexus S which is already on Jelly Bean.