• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S micro sd external write protected?

jackandjill

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
Hi i have been having this problem since i updated to froyo JP2 package my external micro SD card when mounted to computer and i try to copy over the files it says it is write protected but there is no key to slide, as everybody knows micro sd cards donot have that feature by design... this is the best part when the same card no changes i put in to a cardreader hooked up to my laptop works perfectly fine.... it was working fine before i flashed the JP2 firmware... what am i doing wrong i even formated the card in the phone itself but still no luck

My hunch is this when i flashed with new firmware i never took out the sd card and the sim card is that any reason, i know i can just flash it again but i already arranged everything nice on my galaxy so was wondering if it is then i will go ahead...please help me out...tks

I had the same problem but solved it in the following way:

Either use Samsung Kies (I have not installed this pathetic excuse for a program) or go directly to explorer where (if you have installed the samsung galaxy USB driver - available here > Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x86 Driver for Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 Free Download - Softpedia) your phone should exist (mine is listed in explorer as GT-I9000 with 2 folders, Card and Phone) in explorer and all normal explorer functions are available. Hope this helps.

X64 USB drivers are also available - you just have to scout around for them. I have the USB drivers installed on moth my windows XP 32 bit and also Windows 7 64 bit - with no problems

Regards Matt.

Upvote 0
Guessing this has got something to do with mounting the card either on the computer or internally? I don't think the Galaxy S automatically determines what's mounted where.

I can't test now, but could connecting the phone to your computer, activating it as a usb mass storage device, pressing the connect button, then pressing the disconnect (or similarly labeled) button on the phone screen fix the problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones