• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire

this fone is being launched in 110 countries and is their flagship fone, 2.2 is already confirmed, i dont think samsung will risk not supporting it.

You know how the Behold was promised 2.1 and never, ever got it?

i think this will get rooted quick and then you can put whatever you want on it.

Which part of "Samsung doesn't make their kernels open-source" did you not get?

Upvote 0
Just a comment on the phone that did not get updated: I have read that sales were very low on that phone. I suspect a business decision was made about putting resources against the 'flagship' Galaxy S instead of updating a phone with a small number of customers. Can't blame them too much for that, but....maybe they should offer a special upgrade price to the Galaxy for those customers to compensate for that decision.

It does make sense that they will support the Galaxy given the push they put behind it.

Regarding rooting: I'm not convinced it will get rooted that quick, if at all. I don't know the background of the folks posting about this, but many have said that Samsung locks stuff down, as noted above, and that rooting them is quite difficult.

Upvote 0
Just a comment on the phone that did not get updated: I have read that sales were very low on that phone. I suspect a business decision was made about putting resources against the 'flagship' Galaxy S instead of updating a phone with a small number of customers. Can't blame them too much for that, but....maybe they should offer a special upgrade price to the Galaxy for those customers to compensate for that decision.

It does make sense that they will support the Galaxy given the push they put behind it.

Regarding rooting: I'm not convinced it will get rooted that quick, if at all. I don't know the background of the folks posting about this, but many have said that Samsung locks stuff down, as noted above, and that rooting them is quite difficult.

i guess but hey thats what they said about the iphone! ;)

Upvote 0
This is unbelievable. The amount two intelligent (no I am not going to insult anybody here) people can argue. I viewed this thread to find out user's/potential user's opinions on the phone. Not to read an argument between two people who split hairs and insult one another to get back at each other.

Lets get this thread back to the OP's question.

In comparison which do you believe to be better.

In my opinion the hardware is better on the Galaxy S, however I have heard of Samsung's approach to software, of which I am not impressed with. I have a friend who owns a jet. On coming to finding applications and updates he discovered at that time (4 months after the Jet's release it wasn't even listed as a product). There was also no support for applications, apart from generic java based ones.

Yes it is possible Samsung will release updates. Yet if they don't a root will be possible. Maybe not immediately, but I am sure the guys at Modaco/XDA will be able to sort out some functionality. However if Samsung have a tight rein of their drivers full functionality may take a while to be developed, if at all possible.

I happen to think the current Samsung UI is faster than Sense, however I do not like it's design, and do not feel it is as polished as Sense. HTC seem to have really thought about the user in the design, with features like leap and cloud effects after unlocking etc. Although, I really do like Samsung swipe for texting, and would love it if it was ported to other phones.

I don't myself have much of a choice. I either take the Desire on the 16th or I wait another three months to upgrade. As far as I see, nothing notable is confirmed for the UK within those three months.

Reactions: sarahdeez
Upvote 0
Not being a flagship phone is not an excuse to forfeit all after-sale support. You may enjoy being ripped off and exploited as a customer, but please sit down when other people refuse to be fleeced.

Ok look at it like this the Behold 2 started on 1.5 and got a update to 1.6:

T-Mobile G1 (ok it was the first android phone but the updates 1-1.5 were just to get the phone to a decent level so if you exclude them) 1.5 - 1.6.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 its on 1.6 and its gonna get 2.1 end of the year.

HTC Desire its on 2.1 and its gonna get 2.2 end of the year.

HTC Hero 1.5 and recently updated to 2.1.

Samsung Galaxy S will start on 2.1 and most likely get a update to 2.2 at end of the year.

I see a pattern emerging most phones get at least 1 update in terms of version of android.

I had a G1 but i'm not throwing my toys out of the pram just because they decided to only give us one major update.

Upvote 0
that's some serious performance! 55fps!

the other 2 clearly have some lag.

not only that. I'm being told that the Galaxy S is able to play a lot of file formats, even .mkv files that are blu-ray rips.

I can't get one because my provider here in Singapore only carries the HTC Desire. Another carrier has the Samsung Galaxy S exclusively. :(

How can the Samsung processor out do the HTC's by so much???

Upvote 0
From what I hear, the Galaxy S is ridiculously expensive [around $700, according to Engadget]; especially considering there are already more powerful Android phones out there on the market already. I say get an Evo, Incredible, or wait it out for a Droid2/Shadow, which might have a hardware keyboard; a feature I personally have a tinge of buyer's remorse for with my Evo.

Upvote 0
How can the Samsung processor out do the HTC's by so much???

In the same way a Intel Pentium can out do a Intel Celeron.

From what I hear, the Galaxy S is ridiculously expensive [around $700, according to Engadget]; especially considering there are already more powerful Android phones out there on the market already. I say get an Evo, Incredible, or wait it out for a Droid2/Shadow, which might have a hardware keyboard; a feature I personally have a tinge of buyer's remorse for with my Evo.

In America it might be expensive but here in the uk you can pre-order a Galaxy s for around

Upvote 0

no there aren't the galaxy s is the most powerful currently available! :)

Upvote 0
YouTube - Samsung TouchWiz 3.0 User Interface (Galaxy S & Wave S8500)

can someone confirm this? because if this is true, i must say theres a big jump from touchwiz 2.0 to 3.0 and its looking rather slick. maybe not as good as the htc sense or maybe it is.

I really wouldnt know which is why im hoping the experts here would shed some insights!

i hope this is true though. cause the UI is the only thing thats having me lean more towards the htc desire. hardware wise, galaxy seems to trump desire. but software and updates, im still trying to find out!

Reactions: galaxyS
Upvote 0
Same, and the fact that I can have a desire on the 16th unless anyone wants to take over my orange contract :p.

The UI does look very slick, and that video has caused it to grow on me, the only 2 things I like on the desire over this, is the weather widget, especially cloud effects when unlocking the phone (can you get these through 3rd part widgets), the helicopter view (leap), and 7 home screens.

Upvote 0
Like others above me said, it's still unclear if Samsung will update the phone.

You must be pretty stupid to think there not going to release the 2.2 update; they've promised on a number of occasions now that this phone will get 2.2, everything suggests we will see an update.

Only thing suggesting otherwise are trolls like you

About the hardware, yes Samsung is better, but by how far.
The hummingbird is better then the snapdragon, but will you notice this in daily use?The GPU is a nice addition to the phone market, but pretty useless.

You clearly don't have a clue, thanks to this "useless" GPU all current 3D games from gameloft, and other titles, NFS Shift, fifa 2010 etc all run fantastic on this phone and yes the difference is noticeable NOW when compared to high end HTC devices and even the droid X. Of course this also means the phone is allot more future proof and due to the faster "useless" GPU will outlast all competing products where gaming is concerned.

Last of all, TouchWiz. It's better then it was, but let's face it. it can't compete with the Sense UI. It's a real hardware hogger, and you'll still notice some lag even after the latest update.

It's fine and the Galaxy S is more than capable of running this interface smoothly, I'm not a huge fan of Sence and fail to see what all the fuss is about.

Upvote 0
Even I am in the same boat of choosing a phone between these two ..... Was leaning towards desire but after reading this thread I am confused ....(thats what forums do ...lol) any way my prime objective is,,,,,,,,,, super fast/smooth browsing experience, UI should be top notch .... full integration between contacts, phone book and social networking apps .......

I am not much concerned about the games, and video playback, yes camara and video capture shoudl be decent.........

I have read that with 2.2 Android, Desire will get the ability to record @720p and play Divx ffiles as well ... is that true .....

what would people suggest ....

Thanks in advance
Regards
Sammy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones