1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung galaxy s2 mms?problems help please

Last Updated:

1. markostarlet

markostarlet Member This Topic's Starter

Hi as title my Samsung galaxy s2 won't download the mms messages I receive any one no a way to sort it?

Cheers Mark

Advertisement
  2. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What carrier do you have with the Galaxy, so I can move you to the proper Galaxy S2 section so you can get some answers to your specific problem

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

One first MMS you have sent then you are able to get MMS's. Did you send one?

Harry

4. markostarlet

Hi thanks for the replys I'm on the 3 network in the UK no I've not sent a mms yet I have to send 1 before I can download 1?when I try to download a mms it just says failed?

Cheers Mark

5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I meant for the start the MMS feature on your phone you have to send one in the first place :)

EDIT: Did you get the message text but not the picture?
    Then you could try the free app 'Save MMS'

Harry

6. markostarlet

Sent a mms still won't download the mms I've received from a iPhone?

7. markostarlet

Bump still wont download them ? Nobody else had this prob?

Cheers mark

8. markostarlet

Yes I have this problem too so I phones 3 and they said you can't download mms over 500 Kb

9. whatwillbecome

whatwillbecome Member

Check your VPN settings. I had the same problem and i rung my phone company and just ask them for the vpn settings and then bam! should be good to go :)

10. RCS1966

RCS1966 New Member

I've been having this problem too and found that enabling Packet Data (via Settings->Wireless&Network->Mobile Networks) did the trick. I've no idea why this should have been more effective than simply enabling Data Network Mode (via a long press on the power button) but it was.

Of course this may just be a case of me jabbing at so many random buttons that I've associated the removal of the symptoms with the wrong cure, but you may wish to give it a go.

11. RCS1966

RCS1966 New Member

I've played around with this a bit more (having 2 phones comes in handy sometimes), and I now realise that what really did the trick was the sequence of events I followed.

Like many people, I only switch data network on when I need it. If you do the same, you may find that you need to make sure your phone doesn't try to "auto-retrieve" MMS's because this seems to confuse the phone horribly.

i.e.

1. Someone sends me an MMS and it says it's downloading (for ages, no matter what I try). At the moment of receipt data was switched OFF and auto-retrieve was set to ON.
    2. I switch data ON and it makes no difference
    3. I changed my settiings so that auto-retrieve is OFF (Messaging->Settings).
    4. Going back to the message I'm trying to view, it no longer says 'downloading' - now it gives me an option to download manually.
    5. Now I switch data on, click to download the message and it works.

So in short, set auto-retrieve to OFF, and when someone sends you an MMS, switch data ON, then manually download. Auto-retrieve only seems to work if data is switched on at the moment you receive the message.

Similarly for sending: switch data ON before hitting send; if you do it afterwards the message just hangs, and you'll need to delete it and try again.

Miztre and rel55 like this.
  12. Miztre

Miztre New Member

Thank you, I had the exact same problem and turning auto-retrieve off solved it!