• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 Vibrating with headphones plugged in

I have just switched from HTC to Samsung G S3, so i don't know if this is normal. while listening to music on the S3 it vibrates to the bass even though your listening through head phones and no sound is coming out of the phones speakers, has anyone else found this? The louder you put the volume the more it vibrates, its only to the bass or bass drum. Is this a feature to say its getting too loud for your ears or something??

I am not using the stock audio player, I am using Poweramp.

I noticed this too the other night when listening to a radio show on the BBC iPlayer app. I had headphones plugged in but the phone was vibrating away - I actually thought the vibrations were almost random as the radio show was a play - certainly no drum and bass.

Could this be due to auto haptic or something?

maybe its just deep sounds in any audio your listening to when you have it above a certain volume

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am an Interaction Designer that works at a company that makes the technology that you guys are discussing about. I was on the team that designed the particular feature on the phone.

This essentially converts the audio feedback on the phone into a well designed vibration for better user experience. The auto haptic feature helps enhance the experience in scenarios such as gaming, viewing videos and listening to music. However, some people prefer it more on gaming and some on an other application.

There is hence a list of applications out of which the feature can be selected or deselected based on user preference in the auto-haptic menu itself.

More about the feature can be viewed on the following link:

Customizing the Samsung Galaxy S III’s Auto Haptic Feature | Haptic Antics

Upvote 0
Excellent info Marcus, that solved the problem.
I'd suggest disabling the feedback if playing via bluetooth audio.
My phone's vibrating away while it sits in my car mount playing an audio book through the car speakers.
(thanks to your info, i've now turned this off specifically for Audible app)

Ken

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am an Interaction Designer that works at a company that makes the technology that you guys are discussing about. I was on the team that designed the particular feature on the phone.

This essentially converts the audio feedback on the phone into a well designed vibration for better user experience. The auto haptic feature helps enhance the experience in scenarios such as gaming, viewing videos and listening to music. However, some people prefer it more on gaming and some on an other application.

There is hence a list of applications out of which the feature can be selected or deselected based on user preference in the auto-haptic menu itself.

More about the feature can be viewed on the following link:

Customizing the Samsung Galaxy S III

Upvote 0
I have the US T-Mobile version of the S3 with Jelly Bean OTA update. When I go into the sound menu there is no Auto Haptic menu? have T-Mobile hidden it in the JB update? this feedback is most anoying and even if I turn off all vibration feedback it's still there when playing music in apps :thinking:

I also have this problem on Sprint. Went to turn off the auto haptic and it's not there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones