• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S3 vs HTC One X

I ordered my HOX without actually demo'ing it and though i love it I have been curious about the S3. Well, my local ATT store just got them in and I was able to play with one for about 15 minutes. Honestly its a nice phone but I though the screen was was too dim even at max brightness and thought the Touchwiz interface was ugly and slow. There was a HOX right next to it and I kept opening the same apps at the same time and the HOX seemed faster time after time. Played a few youtube vids side by side and honestly the HOX screen is just that much better. The one thing I did like about the sammy was the loudness, the speakerphone, media volume and earpeice volumes seemed significantly louder on the S3.
I think I would have chosen the HOX even if I had the chance to compare them before I bought, it just seems more cutting edge and representative of a flagship phone. Now if only HTC would fix the volume issues on the HOX.

I've been saying this for a while, I have both phones in my house (One X is mine, S3 the wifes) and have tested them both at everything, the One X is a faster phone.. I'm sure the benchmarks that people keep banging on about are out of date, off a prototype version or something as the S3 is not faster except on the stock browser.

Upvote 0
I have an S3 right now while my HOX is being repaired.

I miss the feel of the HOX, it was really starting to grow on me. You just can't love the S3, it's so soul-less. I like loads of things about it - but when the HOX returns, I'll be back on that I think.

I'll miss the great battery life, physical home button (well, the ability to wake the phone with it) and the power button on the side....but...

Upvote 0
My wife has the One X on AT&T and I have the SGS3 on Verizon. The S3 definitely has some key plusses (microSD, removable battery, and RAM), but the One X is, IMO, a much higher quality phone. The screen is night and day in favor of the One X, and, since that's the way you interface with the phone, that outweighs the other features for me. Also, I much prefer the build and in-hand feel of the One X. The textured ceramic feels great, and the way the screen sits above the rest of the phone is swanky. The GS3 feels very pedestrian in comparison.

Now, if you're comparing international variants, you can't ignore the Exynos in the GS3, but, on the same silicon, I'd go for the One X. Too bad it's not on Verizon...

Reactions: PaxtonPetty
Upvote 0
Yea would have to agree build quality goes to the one x, while the one x screen was amazing I actually prefer the galaxy, I could see why people would prefer the one x though. I would though choose the galaxy over the one x 100 out of 100 times the actual performance of the galaxy is night and day better then the one x.

Upvote 0
People constantly refer to the Htc one x build quality . Hold on.... Let's call it perceived build quality. Why? Because that phone (the euro version) is riddled with faults and Htc have admitted to most of them..... Wifi connectivity being one of the main ones where they actually tell you to fix it by pushing the back of the phone (which actually is soft enough to bend inwards) to fix it.

Let's be clear ..... It looks great but that's where it ends

Upvote 0
Not going to lie. Being on Verizon and pushed to get a phone before I lost Unlimited data, I got this phone pretty much by default. If I could have chosen the HTC one X on VZW, I probably would not be a S3 owner. HTC Sense is fantastic. They know what they are doing from that perspective.

However, I am extremely happy with my phone and I will keep this phone till next summer then probably sell it. Maybe sooner? If someone really tempting comes out in the spring. TouchWiz got a lot of crap and I don't see it has bad as people said it was. Maybe previous versions were bad.

What will really make my mad is if JB rolls out to HTC first on their top end phones.

Upvote 0
Hi just my two cents..I had the Evo Lte for awhile and had too many issuers and got the Galaxy 3. Have to say the galaxy 3 is overall a much better phone..wi- fi is much better and software is way ahead of the Evo Lte. As for the screen,the Evo Lte was way to washed out for me and the galaxy 3 even though a tiny bit over saturated with colors looks so much better thank the Evo LTE,especially on blacks. There are is no blue tint on the screen whites like my galaxy 2 had,and watching 1080 HD videos on you tube is unbelievable.

Upvote 0
I have used both S3 and HOX and HOX is much better device to hold and operate. The rounded corners of the glass are amazing instead of flat S3 glass.

Also, the shinny, slippery back of Samsung stands no where in front of HOX's back. The S3 gives a feeling of any other cheap phone which has a shinny plastic back cover.

This is strange because I've been using the S3 for a couple of days now and one of the first things I noticed was the curvature of the glass and how you would never notice it unless you used it..... Also the shinny backing is just the opposite of slippery even though you would think otherwise by looking at it. TBH its easier to handle then the Hox was for me. The HOX screen and camera are by far better of the 2 devices so far. Im having horrible luck with the camera.

Upvote 0
This is strange because I've been using the S3 for a couple of days now and one of the first things I noticed was the curvature of the glass and how you would never notice it unless you used it..... Also the shinny backing is just the opposite of slippery even though you would think otherwise by looking at it. TBH its easier to handle then the Hox was for me. The HOX screen and camera are by far better of the 2 devices so far. Im having horrible luck with the camera.

I am talking about the glass corners, where it meets the plastic not the whole screen being curved.

Well, it maybe that i have oily skin, so, the SIII back tends to get slippery after some use. If i wipe it off then it gets better again but i can't be doing that every now and then.

Yes. I liked the AMOLED screen in Samsung Wave but HOX screen is amazing.

Upvote 0
I spent hours looking and researching both phones. Always been partial to HTC/sense. It was a tough call. Wanted both, but in the end I picked the S3.

In-call volume/speaker volume/call quality much better on the S3. That is a huge advantage. Even tho more and more people seem to care less about the calling aspect of smart phones today, I am the complete opposite. My first priority is how well a phone handles being a phone.

s/d card, removable battery are a plus. 2GB ram, definite plus. Sense vs TW, it's a toss-up imo. Screen quality, slight edge to the hox. Not enough to sway me. wifi on the S3 is excellent. New features on the S3 not on the hox, a plus.

In hand feel, S3 feels equally as good as the hox. Reception on the S3 is excellent.

The hox is a nice phone and it was a tough decision, but the S3 won out. No regrets, so far.

I've made comments about Samsungs build quality, but the S3 has changed my mind.

Upvote 0
I spent hours looking and researching both phones. Always been partial to HTC/sense. It was a tough call. Wanted both, but in the end I picked the S3.

In-call volume/speaker volume/call quality much better on the S3. That is a huge advantage. Even tho more and more people seem to care less about the calling aspect of smart phones today, I am the complete opposite. My first priority is how well a phone handles being a phone.

s/d card, removable battery are a plus. 2GB ram, definite plus. Sense vs TW, it's a toss-up imo. Screen quality, slight edge to the hox. Not enough to sway me. wifi on the S3 is excellent. New features on the S3 not on the hox, a plus.

In hand feel, S3 feels equally as good as the hox. Reception on the S3 is excellent.

The hox is a nice phone and it was a tough decision, but the S3 won out. No regrets, so far.

I've made comments about Samsungs build quality, but the S3 has changed my mind.

I can't decide between the HOX or the S3. Its coming down to which camera is better in light/dark conditions which camera produces less noise and not over saturated colors. I like the One X screen, Sense, build quality and design more than the S3 but to me the camera is the most important feature since it will be my only camera (digital camera broke).

Upvote 0
I can't decide between the HOX or the S3. Its coming down to which camera is better in light/dark conditions which camera produces less noise and not over saturated colors. I like the One X screen, Sense, build quality and design more than the S3 but to me the camera is the most important feature since it will be my only camera (digital camera broke).

most say the oneX has the best camera.

but they also say.. it is best to see the real quality by viewing these pics on a big monitor or printing them out.. viewing them on the phone, distorts the true look of the pic. again, the oneX looks pics look better.

Upvote 0
HTC ONE X HAS BEATS AUDIO so that seals the deal for whats the better phone for me!!! im telling u gotta listen to music with beats audio it blows ur mind!!!!

and by the way what the hell is that picture with htc one x on top of it? is that supposed to be hox's picture quality? JESUS CHRIST MAN WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? i mean look at it, its all out of focus and dark!!!! i have a htc one x and just took a picture from this building its way not dark and its so beautiful and sharp!!!! and have u looked at the videos? same deal!
htc one x camera is all out of focus and dark!!!!
i m telling u man somethings going on here and i bet its something fishy!!!
the guy that created this thread may not be behind it but he sure as hell got fooled just like the most of the people that read this thread .
im not sure about the cpu but i can tell you this that the benchmarks listed here arent correct! i cant do a real test on my htc one x cuz after all this i dont really trust the benchmark apps anymore nor any reviews on the internet but i can tell you htc one x is pretty fast!

i dont know about you guys but im really satisfied with my htc one x! i dont know why almost all reviews are against hox its one of the best phones on the market. im not saying s3 is bad i think its pretty good too but for me htc one x is more special cuz of the beats audio.

and one more thing please dont just take these reviews from some random websites and put it here make sure theyre correct first!

and for the love god if u really care about the quality of ur threads take a picture with a real htc one x then put it there!

thanks!

Upvote 0
Welcome, Shane713, to the Android Forums!:)
It is nice to see someone so passionate about their phone!
I have heard really good things about the OneX, and if you check out the OneX forum here, you will see that many people are very happy with theirs too.
HTC One X/XL - Android Forums
Also, don't forget to check out our Lounge for some fun conversation.
The Lounge - Android Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones