Samsung Galaxy S3

1. ec34500

ec34500 Well-Known Member

The s3 just came out on ATT and I'm looking to buy it straight from the att store for $550 (its $800+ unlocked) and set it up with straight talk and their ATT Sim Card. I was told (from ppl and research) that this would work! Do you agree?

Will I still get the HSPA+ speeds with this phone?

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I am using the exact phone on ST you are talking about. I have BOTH the AT&T sim card and a BYOD ST sim card.
    They both work 100% the same. They just change the phone numbers :)

I also have the AT&T HTC One X and that works the very same. Both get the HSPA+ with 6 to 7 "M"bps downloads :)
  3. ec34500

wow perfect thank you! Do you think straight talk will be able to take my old number? Im switching from VM
  4. ec34500

5. Nycokla

Nycokla Well-Known Member

I switched from vm and ported my number over... It took 30 and I was up and running
    tlopez1973 likes this.
  6. lennydude

7. ec34500

but how is it unreal if it's amazon?!
  8. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member

I think he meant it was unreal that the att store didn't accept your request to purchase a $550 phone :p
    lennydude likes this.
  9. ec34500

The s3 requires a microsim instead of the regular sim right? Need to make sure before I go purchasing the wrong sim through ST
  10. lennydude

Yes...............it is a micro :)
  11. ec34500

Also! Since I know you have the locked AT&T s3 with the st AT&T sim, have you noticed any issues with mms like with other androids? And were you able to delete the old asn?
  12. lennydude

No............i have seen no issues at all with either the AT&T sim or the ST sim. The phone behaves the same and voice and data quality and speed are the same.............for me at least :)
  13. ec34500

Great! :] hoping I get the same results as you!
  14. akielb

akielb New Member

I'm also planning on going this route. Waiting for the SIII in white to get off backorder. This might be a stupid question. AT&T isn't that strong where I live (Fargo ND) but if I get this phone and put it on ST, will it be using Verizon towers? Just because my phone is set to one provider doesn't mean it will only use their towers correct?

Thanks,
  15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't work like that as you wish. Although US GSIII has Qualcomm S4 chip (processor/modem) across the board, each carrier version of GSIII has its radio parts and radio firmware designed for each carrier's wireless standard. So you can't mix up that. The international GSIII has some flexibility with carrier, but it would only work with AT&T properly.
  16. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

Any drawbacks to Straight Talk? I'm on Sprint now and use a lot of data (slow data). Will I be booted or will they throttle me after a while? Thanks
  17. xTye

xTye Well-Known Member

They'll shut you off when they feel you're using too much.

They say it's unlimited everything, but it's limited data.
    whatsitsname likes this.
  18. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

That's what I am afraid of. No clear definition of unlimited and when you'll be cut off.
  19. xTye

xTye Well-Known Member

Yeah that was my problem. I had the LG Optimus Q through them. It was fun, but had restrictions. You're not allowed to stream content. You can't use too much data or they'll shut you off.

I really hated having a smartphone and not being allowed to fully use its features. I streamed YouTube (you're not allowed as per the terms. They're shady and don't mention it in the package like they should) and 2 days later I got a call saying I need to stop or my service will be terminated.

I switched to Verizon. I love being allowed to use data how I want and not worrying about being shut off for it.
  20. contra35

contra35 New Member

hi how long did it take for your phone to start working?? and did you have to change the APN??

wow finally its working.. what are the setting to get data to work on sg3 .

Just got the gs3 to work on straight talk, but there is no data.
  21. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

shady business,

i knew about the whole throttling thing but did not know they prohibited video streaming.

really?

$45 unlimited everything. if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  22. i have a samsung galazy s3 from att and i want to put it on straight talk and buy their sim? is there steps you have to do to be able to do that?
  23. SLB26

SLB26 Member

You get a ATT sim card and get a service card (the $45 one). It's a simple process, the sim comes with instructions. Right now ST isn't selling the ATT sims and WM.com is sold out of the micro size last I checked.
  24. the phone has a att sim in it right now so i just purchase a straight talk one?
  25. SLB26

SLB26 Member

You need the ST AT&T sim to use the BYOP service that they offer (or were offering) for AT&T locked phones. While they have stopped selling the AT&T sims you can still activate if you have one. A couple people have activated the ST AT&T sims in the last couple of days they still work. WM.com had the standard size still for sale (last I knew). People on Ebay and other private sellers have either available. Right now they are no longer available on ST website and they've removed all reference to ATT from their website. It's all Tmobile now. The phone availability that use AT&T are is also gone (at least when I checked for my zip).

I'm planning on likely using the S3 on ST ATT myself. I've looked heavily at a few different phones. S3 seems to be the one I like best. ATT is better than TMobile for me. I planned to just go ahead and get a carrier locked ATT phone.

ETA: Just checked on the WM.com site, they now have the AT&T ST micro sims in stock again. You want to order that to use with your S3. Still not on ST site and it only says TMobile for everything and bring a TM or unlocked phone. It does still say this at the bottom of the page "Straight talk SIM Card will only work with an AT&T or T-mobile compatible or unlocked GSM phone." But they are not selling the sims or advertising it on their site. WEIRD.