Samsung Galaxy S4 HelpSupport

1. Shock

Shock New Member

Hey, I just bought a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and I have no idea if there is something wrong with it or if it is normal... After I shut down my phone, I try to turn it back on with a click of a button on the power button, and it doesn't do anything.. I tried holding it down.. sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. The only way I could turn it on is by pressing the power button around 5-6 times, I was wondering if that is an issue with my phone or is that normal?
    Can someone tell me the proper way to turn it on?

Also another problem is, whenever I text my battery goes down pretty quickly and the back of my phone gets hot and I only get around 11 hours of life after charging it fully.

Thank you in advance

Advertisement
  2. AbductedCasper

AbductedCasper Active Member

The power button might be a bug/glitch I suggest you return the s4 and get a new one if youre still in your warranty. If the phone gets heated up its normal it happens to all the s4.
  3. Shock

Shock New Member

oops delete please
  4. Shock

Shock New Member

Thank you, but uhm for a normal s4 do you press it once? or hold it down?
  5. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

I have to hold mine down for a few seconds until I feel it buzz. I think is a by-design feature to reduce the accidental turn-off/turn-on. Just a guess.
  6. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If by 'shut down' you mean completely powering it off, as opposed to just putting it to sleep, then yes it's normal to have to long-press the power button to turn it back on.
  7. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

I say its normal. It takes my S4 a few seconds, from power down, holding down the power button before I feel the vibration and power up.
  8. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Shock,

I believe there is some confusion about your question. When you said "shut down," are you referring to actually powering the unit off or just putting it to sleep (or stand-by?)

If you are talking about starting the phone from a "power off" state (no power, no service, etc...,) then you would have to press and hold the power button until you get a vibration and then it takes a minute (or so) for the phone to get up and running.

If you are talking about "waking" the phone from its stand-by state, a single click of the power button or the home button will wake the phone up.

As for heating up, I use my phone somewhere between heavy and medium and my phone never gets hot. If yours does under just texting use, I would suggest returning it to the carrier and getting it replaced. Before doing so, you may want to do a Factory Data Reset from the recovery menu to see if that helps. When I first got my phone, I was very unimpressed (to the point of returning it for something else.) I decided to do a FDR before taking it back and it made all the difference in the world. After the FDR, everything worked properly, my batter life was much better and the issues I was experiencing all went away.

FWIW,
    BigRedGonzo